What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

bazza

Immortal
Just under half my year almost failed the hsc

the best thing about private schools is the future networking if you fit the demographic
so you didn't go to one of the private schools that cull the kids at the end of year 10/11 that might bring their HSC average down (and their parents aren't big donors)

The point being that there are 2 types of "Catholic schools"
the first (e.g. Parra Marist) are run by the Catholic Diocese, charge fees that at relatively affordable and generally play rugby league. These were historically set up to give a basic education to the Catholic plebs of the day.
the others (e.g. Joeys, Riverview) are independent schools. run by their own board, charge fees that are not affordable and play rugby union. These were setup to provide an education for kids to go into universities and professions

Matua

Bench
Much do do with differing church attitudes to education too. The Catholic Church has historically been proactive about funding education for the masses and keeping them in the fold. The Church of England generally doesn’t bother, with a few exceptions (I was almost sent to an Anglican boarding school for poor kids in Auckland but it’s the only one I know of)
Which school was that? And I assume it was state integrated so hostel fees only?

Wb1234

Referee
so you didn't go to one of the private schools that cull the kids at the end of year 10/11 that might bring their HSC average down (and their parents aren't big donors)

The point being that there are 2 types of "Catholic schools"
the first (e.g. Parra Marist) are run by the Catholic Diocese, charge fees that at relatively affordable and generally play rugby league. These were historically set up to give a basic education to the Catholic plebs of the day.
the others (e.g. Joeys, Riverview) are independent schools. run by their own board, charge fees that are not affordable and play rugby union. These were setup to provide an education for kids to go into universities and professions
Trinity grammar in summer hill

I did well In my hsc lmao

yeh I knew about the first type of catholic schools not the second

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Which school was that? And I assume it was state integrated so hostel fees only?
Dilworth. Private Anglican boarding school in Auckland that is run by a trust, all kids are on scholarships and from poor or disadvantaged backgrounds. Also had a big historical sex abuse scandal that stretched from the 70s to the 90s, so I probably dodged a bullet there.
has been a reasonably successful rugby school in recent years.

Munky

Coach
Says it all about the ARU's poaching prospects that this thread has devolved to school discussion.

Matua

Bench
Dilworth. Private Anglican boarding school in Auckland that is run by a trust, all kids are on scholarships and from poor or disadvantaged backgrounds. Also had a big historical sex abuse scandal that stretched from the 70s to the 90s, so I probably dodged a bullet there.
has been a reasonably successful rugby school in recent years.
I must say I had heard of Dilworth, but not in a rugby sense or a scandal strength, and I didn't realise it operated on scholarships for all - I actually think that's a great method of running a private (I just butt up against the Anglican of it) especially as it's an actual charitable trust.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I must say I had heard of Dilworth, but not in a rugby sense or a scandal strength, and I didn't realise it operated on scholarships for all - I actually think that's a great method of running a private (I just butt up against the Anglican of it) especially as it's an actual charitable trust.
Yeah I’ve got no issue with that side of the school at all. Apparently it was established by a rich farmer and his wife who left no heirs and donated they estate to establishing the school and a trust to support it, and the trust invested the money well and has ample $$ to fund the scholarships on an ongoing basis.

some11

Referee
Just had a geez at my old private school on the south side of brisbane that used to play rugby when I was there, they've since replaced it with aussie rules.

Wb1234

Referee
Just had a geez at my old private school on the south side of brisbane that used to play rugby when I was there, they've since replaced it with aussie rules.
I’ve heard this happens a lot in Sydney too

pretty weird they would let afl in and not rugby league

some11

Referee
I think it's more kid-friendly tbh, less dangerous contact as the ball is always on the move. That and AFL stumping up the $$ for the programs.

Wb1234

Referee
AFL doesn’t have a class divide I guess. I know a lot of hipster and white collar types seem to go for it.
Shows how much they hate league they will take up fumble ball instead

between afl and league raising their juniors they are stuffed

afl gets the beanpoles who can jump and we get the rest

Latest posts