What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

JamesRustle

First Grade
Kurtley Beale will be cheap, especially if a club can get the NRL discount for him... half a pie and a flat coke?

taste2taste

Juniors

It didn’t take long for news of Pangai Junior’s NRL exit to end up on the radar of Wallabies coach Eddie Jones and the pair met “just a few days” after the bombshell was dropped.

“It’s true I spoke to Eddie Jones,” Pangai Junior said.

“He was pretty keen to sign me, he told me to watch some footage of games and I mentioned to him that I had played No.8 and liked watching Toutai Kefu and Willie Ofahengaue (former Wallabies).

“I definitely thought about going to rugby. There’s the Lions tour and the World Cup coming up. I played rugby union as a kid, so I know the game, but I had told the Bulldogs I wanted to test myself in boxing and I wanted to stick to my word.”

taste2taste

Juniors
Wasn't the Dragons offer close to French offer of 1.2m per season ? Doesn't say much for the Dragons if he'd prefer to move to the other side of the world rather than play for them lol

For those that have a better understanding of the NRL salary cap, when will NRL clubs be able to pay an elite center 1.2m ? Within 10 years??

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
Wasn't the Dragons offer close to French offer of 1.2m per season ? Doesn't say much for the Dragons if he'd prefer to move to the other side of the world rather than play for them lol

For those that have a better understanding of the NRL salary cap, when will NRL clubs be able to pay an elite center 1.2m ? Within 10 years??

probably when the next tv deal gets done

can’t see is ever matching them for wingers

taste2taste

Juniors
All blacks and internationals are are huge factor.

Something our game sadly lacks.
He can't be selected for the All Blacks, they have a similar policy to Australia, you have to be playing in NZ. So internationals hasnt been a factor in his decision.

I find it baffling that the NRL has 700m yearly revenue and a billion $ in assets yet let's star players like Suaallii and Manu leave for an extra 400k per year.

Manu will be a huge loss to the Kiwis, just as they are starting to give the Kangaroos a run for the no 1 spot.

Brian potter

First Grade
He can't be selected for the All Blacks, they have a similar policy to Australia, you have to be playing in NZ. So internationals hasnt been a factor in his decision.
my mistake. I thought the NZRU had relaxed the laws.
I find it baffling that the NRL has 700m yearly revenue and a billion $ in assets yet let's star players like Suaallii and Manu leave for an extra 400k per year.
salary cap unfortunately unless you bring a rule in that excludes 1 player for each team.
Manu will be a huge loss to the Kiwis, just as they are starting to give the Kangaroos a run for the no 1 spot.
exactly. Plus the kiwis were looking good in the centres with Manu and timoko.

Wb1234

Immortal

The St George dragons offer is the same as union

Canard

Immortal

It's a cultural thing, all the Kiwis grow up wanting to play Union and worship the All Blacks.

It's why I laugh my arse off at some LU members who think that our game can suddenly overtake Union in NZ.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
It's a cultural thing, all the Kiwis grow up wanting to play Union and worship the All Blacks.

It's why I laugh my arse off at some LU members who think that our game can suddenly overtake Union in NZ.
We can take all the pacific islands and it's already dead in Australia. After that NZ won't have anyone to play locally

mozza91

Coach
Their ‘raid’ is solely focused on overrated Roosters outside backs. Billy Smith is next on the hit list.

bazza

Immortal

I am happy that the NRL has a reasonable salary cap and not stretch finances for short term "wins". Better to put money into making the competition more popular and ensuring there are enough players coming through for the future.

Looking at international sport (especially RU) there appears to be quite a few competitions/clubs paying out more than they afford - which is fine until the person financing the loses can't cover them any longer

Dark Corner

Juniors
I am happy that the NRL has a reasonable salary cap and not stretch finances for short term "wins". Better to put money into making the competition more popular and ensuring there are enough players coming through for the future.

Looking at international sport (especially RU) there appears to be quite a few competitions/clubs paying out more than they afford - which is fine until the person financing the loses can't cover them any longer
It seems the NRL, French Top 14 and Pro2, the Irish Model and Japan Club Union are the main places to go these days ? mind you English Rugby League is bucking the trend that English Rugby Union is going through.

bazza

Immortal
It seems the NRL, French Top 14 and Pro2, the Irish Model and Japan Club Union are the main places to go these days ? mind you English Rugby League is bucking the trend that English Rugby Union is going through.
from my limited knowledge it seems that NRL, Super league and Irish RU are operating based on money that they actually have
Think Japan and French RU are being topped up by sugar daddies/corporations