What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

The NBA didn't just suddenly become the biggest and best basketball competition in the world. It always was and always will be. Every other basketball competition started after it was created and was based on it.

I can't see how you can make any equivalency between that and a fledging code with no cultural heritage to the US.

I'd be somewhat careful when talking about the NBA's history as it is not quite like you'd suspect.

In its formative years thru to the 1960s, it was considered rather small time and college basketball was way bigger in terms of popularity in the US. To try and get people to games they'd have NBA games on with a dance held at halftime to try and bump up attendances. Manager's used to have to ring all sorts of people just to get scores mentioned in radio or TV news, let alone printed in the local papers. If you doubt me, seek out the book Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the NBA in the Words of the Men Who Played, Coached and Built Pro Basketball by Terry Pluto.

Canard

Immortal
I'd be somewhat careful when talking about the NBA's history as it is not quite like you'd suspect.

In its formative years thru to the 1960s, it was considered rather small time and college basketball was way bigger in terms of popularity in the US. To try and get people to games they'd have NBA games on with a dance held at halftime to try and bump up attendances. Manager's used to have to ring all sorts of people just to get scores mentioned in radio or TV news, let alone printed in the local papers. If you doubt me, seek out the book Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the NBA in the Words of the Men Who Played, Coached and Built Pro Basketball by Terry Pluto.

Im aware, even until the 1980's it was considered a poor cousin to the NFL and MLB. But, even in the 70s it was still very big in places like New York in terms of attendance.

My point was (and still is) that the sport of Basketball is culturally significant to Americans, and always will be.

Using it as an example of why a USA Rugby Union will suddenly become the biggest comp in the world makes no sense.

taste2taste

Juniors
the Toronto owner stopped paying the bills and the players. what did you expect Superleague to do? Easy to blame SL management but the Wolfpack where a sham

Due to covid the owner couldn't pay the outrages bills, the ESL didn't give Toroto a cut of the TV money and expected them to pay for the wolfpack to relocate to the UK.

Regardless, new owners offered to take over if the ESL would give them thier fair cut of the TV money and the ESL said "no thanks, we don't need any North American opportunities, we're happy being a niche sport in the north"

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Joseph seems to be getting smashed a lot over the last few weeks.

2 million a year? Lol

Colk

First Grade
Joseph seems to be getting smashed a lot over the last few weeks.

2 million a year? Lol

He reminds of Falou a lot (hopefully less devout). He just looks like a much better centre/winger than a fullback and will probably remain that way

He reminds of Falou a lot (hopefully less devout). He just looks like a much better centre/winger than a fullback and will probably remain that way

It's one thing to play fullback week in week out to having to play there mid-match due to injury. Suallii has not played, or even probably trained at fullback with the first grade squad, so of course he would not look great on Sunday. He was pushed there as no one else available had played the position. If Manu had been in the game, he would have gone to fullback instead of Suallii as he's played there before, and trained with the squad before at fullback.

People also seem to forget he's only played 18 first grade games and is 19 years old.

Colk

First Grade
It's one thing to play fullback week in week out to having to play there mid-match due to injury. Suallii has not played, or even probably trained at fullback with the first grade squad, so of course he would not look great on Sunday. He was pushed there as no one else available had played the position. If Manu had been in the game, he would have gone to fullback instead of Suallii as he's played there before, and trained with the squad before at fullback.

People also seem to forget he's only played 18 first grade games and is 19 years old.

I agree but you are seeming to suggest that what I’m saying is some sort of criticism. Not every backline player is destined to play at, or is suitable to play at fullback.

It’s only a judgement call and I’ve been wrong many times before but if he were to become like a Falou (sans religious devotion and intolerance of course) would that necessarily be a bad thing?

Wb1234

Immortal
Suallii would be a fool to destroy his career like Wendell did

he’s starting to really live up to the hype and this roosters side has so much potential with manu, him, Tedesco and Walker it’s an absolute star backline

throw in b.smith why would he want to leave that for the anonymity of the wallabies and Waratahs

Colk

First Grade

he’s starting to really live up to the hype and this roosters side has so much potential with manu, him, Tedesco and Walker it’s an absolute star backline

throw in b.smith why would he want to leave that for the anonymity of the wallabies and Waratahs

Money? If they paid him $2m a year (and considering how desperate union are they just might) why wouldn’t he?

Wb1234

Immortal
Money? If they paid him $2m a year (and considering how desperate union are they just might) why wouldn’t he?
He can always go to European Union for his super fund at the end of his career

he isn’t close to his potential as a player it would be a shame for him not to realise it

the only thing he needs to fix up is his raised knees when running if he keeps that up he’s going to cop some big suspensions

Colk

First Grade
He can always go to European Union for his super fund at the end of his career

he isn’t close to his potential as a player it would be a shame for him not to realise it

the only thing he needs to fix up is his raised knees when running if he keeps that up he’s going to cop some big suspensions

Sure it would be sad for him to go but if he is going to be paid more than twice what he’ll earn in the NRL (hypothetically) that’s a lot of money to turn down and not many would.

Last night Rothfield (take it at a pinch) mentioned the salary cap goes up next year and reckons Latrell could become a two million dollars a year player when you factor in endorsements. I think that’s a bit over the top but you never know. Factor in Suallii is prettier and less divisive than Trell, he could go close to RU money. He’d definitely have a longer career in union given he won’t have to make many tackles, though.

Matua

Bench
How did Wendall destroy his career? He had success in two codes, one of which actually has an international game people care about. He had an awesome career.

Wb1234

Immortal
How did Wendall destroy his career? He had success in two codes, one of which actually has an international game people care about. He had an awesome career.
Could’ve been one of the best league wingers ever

it was sad when he played union and they didn’t have any to pass him the ball

Billythekid

First Grade
Could’ve been one of the best league wingers ever

it was sad when he played union and they didn’t have any to pass him the ball
He still is lol. He got to play some international sport and make a good bit of cash doing so. I doubt he’s losing any sleep over that decision.