What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

ash the bash

Juniors
This is even going to get worse for the ARU.

The rejected consortium which is made up of the same directors who got the Rebels in the shit in first place will start legal proceedings against the ARU on Monday.
- Reduced TV deal due to one less game.
- Cash flow poor, living on debt and now a court case coming up

I sort of hoped the Rebels would survive cause the ARU will gut the Rebels to try and pad the Tahs. Would have been worse off having 5 teams with the talent spread out more.

Recall all the comments from John, Pulver & Hamish over the years, come see the world, Cape town or Campbelltown, we are better people etc etc... Always be modest.

The Lions and WC may clear their debt but they will be back to square one with no other sugar hit incoming for a while.

taste2taste

Juniors
The Lions and WC may clear their debt but they will be back to square one with no other sugar hit incoming for a while.
I wouldnt count on the World Cup clearying up much dept, the past 2 WC made a modest profit ( Japan & France ) and England Union made 30m AUD in 2015.

The 27 world cup is going to have more minnows leading to higher costs that won't be recouped through gates.

Rugby Australia were saying they are estimating a profit of 100m....yeah, good luck with that :laughing:

Angry_eel

First Grade
Rebels are gone. Good news for Storm and RL in Melbourne.
I swear this is a Nelson Mandela moment for me. I thought they were gone a few years ago.

I recall an article many years ago when the Rebels came, fitz was going on about Melbourne being a union, cultured city etc... wank wank... It was going to be the end of the Storm who would have to move to the central coast....
Yeah, him and his pompous fool mate Spiro Zavos writing in the Herald twenty odd years ago that League was destined to become a "parish pump" sport and feeder to union.
Zavos had this top ten moments of Oz sport where union made up 3 of the top 5 spots - all forgotten now. LOLOL.

Wb1234

Immortal
The state's junior pathways have produced Test players in both the men's and women's games, perhaps best highlighted when Rob Valetini, Pete Samu and Rob Leota formed the Wallabies' starting back row against the All Blacks in Melbourne in 2022.

This was no fluke, with considerable effort having been made to develop talent at the junior level, especially in public schools.

For example, a partnership forged between not-for-profit organisation Academy Movement and Rugby Victoria led to the establishment of several public-school programs in Melbourne.

In today`s The Australian:

"Rugby Australia’s future was hanging by a thread, with chief executive Phil Waugh saying it was “technically” a going concern when asked about its $80 million loan."

and

"When asked whether the governing body was a going concern given its $80 million loan with Pacific Equity Partners, Waugh said: “Technically it is, yes.”"

"Technically a going concern"...wtf does that mean. So, in other words, they are right on the verge (if not over it) of bankruptcy.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Rebels are gone. Good news for Storm and RL in Melbourne.
f**k yes! When's the funeral? I'll happily piss on their grave. Next up we'll put a team in Perth and make Union irrelevant there too

JamesRustle

First Grade
In today`s The Australian:

"Rugby Australia’s future was hanging by a thread, with chief executive Phil Waugh saying it was “technically” a going concern when asked about its $80 million loan."

and

"When asked whether the governing body was a going concern given its $80 million loan with Pacific Equity Partners, Waugh said: “Technically it is, yes.”"

"Technically a going concern"...wtf does that mean. So, in other words, they are right on the verge (if not over it) of bankruptcy.
The debt must not be in breach of terms and due in 12 months or longer would be my guess.

If the debt was called in tomorrow they would be insolvent though.