What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

simmo05

Bench
If you were going to sign with rugby, surely you would be signing in France, drinking wine, slaying French birds....why on earth would you sign up and play in aus? Even japan would be sick for a couple of years!

Times have changed haven’t they? I couldn’t name 3 test cricketers now. As for Rugby Union, back in the early 2000s it was on a roll. It’s now almost dead and relies on the great game of rugby league to poach headlines. Problem is, no matter how many headlines it gets it’s still rugby union.
Contestants from "Lego Master" are more recognisable then this crop of Wallabies. And "Brick Man" is more famous then George Gregan, Gordon Bray, John O'Neil and Tim Horan put together.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee

“In Argentina, Joseph Suaalii will be known. In Japan, he'll be known. In Africa, he'll be known. That's the difference. To the elite of the elite, there is that part of them that thinks 'I can be a world-class hall of fame player'. You can't argue that against league. “

These guys are hilarious

BODISGOD

Bench
How can you say rts and Burgess struggled when they both played international union?

It was also obvious that nobody involved with English union wanted Burgess to succeed
It was actually more the league man Mike Ford and his son George!

Mike put Burgess in as a 6 for his club when internationally they wanted him as a 12.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

“In Argentina, Joseph Suaalii will be known. In Japan, he'll be known. In Africa, he'll be known. That's the difference. To the elite of the elite, there is that part of them that thinks 'I can be a world-class hall of fame player'. You can't argue that against league. “

These guys are hilarious
Lol they’re dreaming. The only one of those countries he’ll be “known” in will be SOUTH Africa (the rest of the continent won’t give a shit). In Japan and Argentina he might be known to a small number of Rugby enthusiasts, that’s about it.

BODISGOD

Bench
The only positions that could switch these days are wingers. Union has replaced fleet footed centres with crash ball plodders. Professionalism has ruined the sport, running rugby has been replaced with playing the percentages and rarely swinging the ball out wide.

I know your question wasn't aimed at me but Owen Farrell, Ardi Suval and Tongan Thor ( can't remeber his real name ) would all be guns in league
2007 wants its meme back.

There are teams like South Africa who love their physical rugby and will always have a culture of that but outside of England nobody has the ability to play like that.

Most other international teams have been converging with the All Blacks style. Tries per game in the Six Nations is 5 to 6 the last few seasons, which is up considerably on the dour style of many teams late 2000s and early 2010s.

King hit

Coach

These guys are hilarious
Constantly pushing the “play union and you will see the world” is like listening to an elderly relative with memory loss trot out the same story over and over

BODISGOD

Bench
If you were going to sign with rugby, surely you would be signing in France, drinking wine, slaying French birds....why on earth would you sign up and play in aus? Even japan would be sick for a couple of years!
They’ll be of more value if they star in international rugby for a couple of years.

If you take a Sonny Bill Williams for example, his contract with Toulon originally was decent but his value went way up after he played for the All Blacks.

Wb1234

Referee
They’ll be of more value if they star in international rugby for a couple of years.

If you take a Sonny Bill Williams for example, his contract with Toulon originally was decent but his value went way up after he played for the All Blacks.
They can get the same money here or will soon and their kids can grow up in a first world country with excellent schools and health care and of course beaches instead of the dumps most union teams call home

taste2taste

Juniors

These guys are hilarious
To put it into perspective how small rugby is in South Africa, it's seen as a 'boer sport ' meaning 98% of the population will never watch it.

To watch rugby it's similar to here, you need pay television and then pay a further pay wall for the Rugby channel. In a country as dirt poor as Sth Africa I can only imagine what tiny percentage of homes have the rugby channel.

Like the majority of the globe Soccer is thier religion, cricket and rugby are waaaay down the list.

taste2taste

Juniors
2007 wants its meme back.

There are teams like South Africa who love their physical rugby and will always have a culture of that but outside of England nobody has the ability to play like that.

Most other international teams have been converging with the All Blacks style. Tries per game in the Six Nations is 5 to 6 the last few seasons, which is up considerably on the dour style of many teams late 2000s and early 2010s.
So why did they turn RTS from an ankle breaking magician to a bulked up line running centre?
Why do the Wallabies want Haas as a centre ?
Neither example fits the description of running rugby

Billythekid

First Grade
The brief, slight uptake of union in Australia and the world coincided with one man: Jonah Lomu.

He was a one in a billion and a hundred generations talent and spectacle. I actually watched the game when he was playing, just to see him crush mere mortals like bugs in between penalty goals and scrums. Since he retired I'd prefer to watch pain dry then toffball.

RIP.
Ehhh rugby is still doing well and growing outside of Australia. No doubt the game looks like it’s on the verge of disappearing but it’s not the same story everywhere.

Colk

First Grade
They can get the same money here or will soon and their kids can grow up in a first world country with excellent schools and health care and of course beaches instead of the dumps most union teams call home

Are you really suggesting that France and Japan aren’t first world countries? I agree that Union is a s*** game so you are still stuck playing it

BODISGOD

Bench
So why did they turn RTS from an ankle breaking magician to a bulked up line running centre?
Why do the Wallabies want Haas as a centre ?
Neither example fits the description of running rugby
The best centre in world rugby right now is Garry Ringrose who is nowhere near a bosher.

RTS was dropped to the All Blacks second team- behind Jordie Barrett, David Havili and Anton Lienert-Brown who are all ball players.

There is a role for a physical centre no question, but I don’t think that has changed considerably in the last 15 years and the best ones are not in that mould.

Chimp

Bench
Are you really suggesting that France and Japan aren’t first world countries? I agree that Union is a s*** game so you are still stuck playing it
But who really gives a F about being a ‘star’ in Argentina or Japan - neither are destinations I hear people aspiring to go and live….

Wb1234

Referee
Paris has one union teams lots of other ones are in small villages

in the south of France you can play for les Catalans if you want to live in the south of France

England is a total write off in terms of quality of life vs Sydney or Brisbane

Japan might be good for a visit but raising kids and learning a new language ?

this thing about players wanting to see the world as being exclusive to union is a myth

nrl players go for money

an overseas holiday isn’t that hard to pay for an nrl player on one million pa

Colk

First Grade
But who really gives a F about being a ‘star’ in Argentina or Japan - neither are destinations I hear people aspiring to go and live….

Who said anything about being a star.

I would have no problem with living in Japan if somebody paid me to do it. It’s a great country. There are also some parts of Australia that are absolutely c*** and I have no interest in living in.

The point is just because you couldn’t see yourself doing it, or I could, doesn’t mean that everybody else shares our point of view. You shouldn’t just assume that everybody thinks what you think.

Latest posts