What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Colk

First Grade
This

Then we have PVL coming out suggesting the ridiculous idea of salary cap exemptions for poached rugby players.

For a sport that is apparently no threat to him he sure likes talking about them and keeping them in the news.

It would benefit your club more than anybody else funnily enough.

As long as they come up with a better much model than discussed then it might push clubs to look more at overseas talent

Wb1234

Referee
It’s probably at that level. It is expected that France will get up to €50m in pure profit for hosting it this year.

The thing is that World Rugby take the majority of the profits with a minimum fee at the outset. When England hosted it I believe it was the forth or fifth highest attended sports event of all time and generated close to $500m AUD but most of that went to World Rugby who had a few hundred million in profits to play with.

It will all come down to how many tickets they sell. I’m sure they will do well enough from expats and travelling supporters alone.

B&I Lions is probably just as profitable off less games because they don’t have to give most of the profits to World Rugby. That said I think the Lions concept is a bit damaged after the COVID tour, will be interesting to see the travelling support.
Because they were both shit.
Playing at a World Cup means you are bad does it ?

wow

and the nrl is looking at this now
Which world cup are you referring to? This year's one is not what this is all about, it is about the 2027 world cup in Australia.

It is 2003 all over again which to be fair led to the most interest in the sport in Australia this century.
nah It’s not like 2003

Union is comatose now

you would have to even question how successful a union World Cup would be here

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Which world cup are you referring to? This year's one is not what this is all about, it is about the 2027 world cup in Australia.

It is 2003 all over again which to be fair led to the most interest in the sport in Australia this century.
True.

Didn't win it though. And how is that interest going now?

BlueandGold

Juniors

In 2003 Super rugby had a salary cap of 5.5m x 3 (16.5m) and the NRL cap was 3.3m x 15 (49.5m).

So Unions payments to clubs and player was a 3rd of the NRL in 2003.

Today It is nothing like the early 2000's.

NRL 2023 distribution to clubs 17m on average. x 17 = 289million.
ARU 2023 distribution to clubs 5.5m. x 5 = 27.5m

In 5 years when the Rugby World Cup and lions tour is played the NRL distribution to 18 clubs will more than likely be 20m per club. (360m)

Union can take one or 2 players but in the end the tide will flow the way its always done.

Wb1234

Referee
In 2003 Super rugby had a salary cap of 5.5m x 3 (16.5m) and the NRL cap was 3.3m x 15 (49.5m).

So Unions payments to clubs and player was a 3rd of the NRL in 2003.

Today It is nothing like the early 2000's.

NRL 2023 distribution to clubs 17m on average. x 17 = 289million.
ARU 2023 distribution to clubs 5.5m. x 5 = 27.5m

In 5 years when the Rugby World Cup and lions tour is played the NRL distribution to 18 clubs will more than likely be 20m per club. (360m)

Union can take one or 2 players but in the end the tide will flow the way it’s always done.
Exactly

the salary cap will be 20 million by 2027

the top league players will be on 2.5 million plus

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I can imagine old mates Hamish and Eddie getting together on the polo fields:

Eddie Bones: Hamish old boy we need some players otherwise we are going to cop a rodgering at the next world cup.

Hamsandwich: Eddie old bean, what about young Tompkinston - Smyth or Smythington - Smyth? These lads did splendidly at the last rowing regatta and what not.

Eddie Bones: Hamish old sport, those 2 boys make a mean pimms but they can barely catch a ball. Or run.

Hamsandwitch: So we've got enough props then?

Eddie Bones: we need to open the war chest.

Hamsandwitch: its open, but I don't think players are accepting 1c and 2c pieces anymore.

Eddie Bones: what we need is a few NRL players.

Hamsandwitch: What? Those plebs? But I've got enough servants already.

Eddie Bones: No, to play rugger. They're the best, without them we won't be able to beat Georgia. Which beat us last time.

Hamsandwitch: But what can we offer them? Besides a guaranteed Wallaby jersey?

Eddie Bones: try that old see the world crap.

Hamsandwitch: ok, but I don't think we'll get anyone decent.

Eddie Bones: doesn't matter, as long as we get paid.

Both: Huzzah!

Wb1234

Referee
I can imagine old mates Hamish and Eddie getting together on the polo fields:

Eddie Bones: Hamish old boy we need some players otherwise we are going to cop a rodgering at the next world cup.

Hamsandwich: Eddie old bean, what about young Tompkinston - Smyth or Smythington - Smyth? These lads did splendidly at the last rowing regatta and what not.

Eddie Bones: Hamish old sport, those 2 boys make a mean pimms but they can barely catch a ball. Or run.

Hamsandwitch: So we've got enough props then?

Eddie Bones: we need to open the war chest.

Hamsandwitch: its open, but I don't think players are accepting 1c and 2c pieces anymore.

Eddie Bones: what we need is a few NRL players.

Hamsandwitch: What? Those plebs? But I've got enough servants already.

Eddie Bones: No, to play rugger. They're the best, without them we won't be able to beat Georgia. Which beat us last time.

Hamsandwitch: But what can we offer them? Besides a guaranteed Wallaby jersey?

Eddie Bones: try that old see the world crap.

Hamsandwitch: ok, but I don't think we'll get anyone decent.

Eddie Bones: doesn't matter, as long as we get paid.

Both: Huzzah!
The wallabies and kangaroos were touring England around 2000ish and John eales was asked if he would meet up with the kangaroos

his response … no they are from a different tribe

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Rugby shot itself in the foot by ditching free to air TV coverage, then proceeded to beat said foot with a hammer by ditching Fox Sport for Stan Sport, a platform pretty much nobody was using. Only the most loyal and rusted on fans would have bothered to subscribe to a new service for it, even people like me who used to be casual fans that would watch the odd Super Rugby game and regularly watch internationals don’t bother now because of that factor.

taste2taste

Juniors
My all time favourite Union sledge was when Andy Flintoff was commentating on the cricket and the cameras showed Pocock and Hooper in the crowd.

Flintoff " who are they ?"
Ponting had to remind him they were supposed to be promoting the upcoming wallabies game
Flintoff " never heard of them, im from up north, league is my religion "

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rugby shot itself in the foot by ditching free to air TV coverage, then proceeded to beat said foot with a hammer by ditching Fox Sport for Stan Sport, a platform pretty much nobody was using. Only the most loyal and rusted on fans would have bothered to subscribe to a new service for it, even people like me who used to be casual fans that would watch the odd Super Rugby game and regularly watch internationals don’t bother now because of that factor.
It'd be ironic if Stan win the NRl rights in 2028 and there by boost Unions market on there

Billythekid

First Grade
Playing at a World Cup means you are bad does it ?

wow

and the nrl is looking at this now

nah It’s not like 2003

Union is comatose now

you would have to even question how successful a union World Cup would be here
Nah the union World Cup will be massively successful. The problem is that’s a one off and we won’t see it again for decades. After a very short bump interest we’ll be back to super rugby struggling and the NRL and AFL eating their breakfast.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It'd be ironic if Stan win the NRl rights in 2028 and there by boost Unions market on there
Only three, maybe four sports (League, AFL and Cricket, and possibly soccer) have the pull to risk jumping to a new platform like that. (Not counting UFC, boxing or wrestling as all their big events are PPV so it matters less there) Rugby Australia vastly overestimated itself there.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Stan is an anomaly in the streaming landscape. Very surprised that it hasn't been swallowed up by the big dogs. I doubt it would have the capacity to buy the nrl rights but the delusional diploducuses on this forum have the right to dream.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Is that fact ? 20 mil cap ?
That would make the NRL by far the highest paying league/Union comp in the world. I'd love to see that

Current distribution to NRL clubs in 2023 went up by 2million.

NRL distrubution 2023 is 17-18m per club.

New broadcast deal in 2027 will Guarantee the distrubution in 2028 will be over 20m, cap will probably be 17m per club in 2028.

Wb1234

Referee
Is that fact ? 20 mil cap ?
That would make the NRL by far the highest paying league/Union comp in the world. I'd love to see that
If the clubs didn’t want funding of five million over the cap now the salary cap today could be 17 to 18 million

clubs took more than the players took out of the last tv increase

surprised the players are attacking the arlc and not the clubs

Union had been building interest and credibility for a while going into 2003 though; ie we were World champs and the Bledisloe was a huge thing then.

They also had a team with a number of larger than life personalities that were hugely marketable, led by Gregan (his face was everywhere). I reckon a majority of Aussies would struggle to name a single current Wallaby; I know I would, with the exception of Quade Cooper who seems to defy age!!

Wb1234

Referee
Union had been building interest and credibility for a while going into 2003 though; ie we were World champs and the Bledisloe was a huge thing then.

They also had a team with a number of larger than life personalities that were hugely marketable, led by Gregan (his face was everywhere). I reckon a majority of Aussies would struggle to name a single current Wallaby; I know I would, with the exception of Quade Cooper who seems to defy age!!
Super rugby Australia average crowds would’ve been 20k plus

now 7k

tv ratings have collapsed too

bledisloe used to get close to 1 million now 700k approx

taste2taste

Juniors
If the clubs didn’t want funding of five million over the cap now the salary cap today could be 17 to 18 million

clubs took more than the players took out of the last tv increase

surprised the players are attacking the arlc and not the clubs
Assuming NRL clubs have a cap of 17 to 20m in 2027 who else would come close to that ?
Super Rugby is currently at 5m ? English Rugby had a slightly higher cap than us but have recently pulled that down with the comp struggling financially.
I'm not sure what Top 14 and Japan's caps would be, but they'd currently be the highest?

Assuming the NRL has the largest cap we'd easily be able to keep our players, and who knows.. maybe a club could offer Ardi Suva enough coin to give league a go.

Latest posts