What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Perth Red

Post Whore
Assuming NRL clubs have a cap of 17 to 20m in 2027 who else would come close to that ?
Super Rugby is currently at 5m ? English Rugby had a slightly higher cap than us but have recently pulled that down with the comp struggling financially.
I'm not sure what Top 14 and Japan's caps would be, but they'd currently be the highest?

Assuming the NRL has the largest cap we'd easily be able to keep our players, and who knows.. maybe a club could offer Ardi Suva enough coin to give league a go.
French rugby 11.3mill Euros
Cant have a cap in Japan, its been deemed illegal.
Rest way behind NRL though some countries marquee/international payments and third parties for the best players make up the difference for the top earners.

gUt

Coach
Hamsandwich: Eddie old bean, what about young Tompkinston - Smyth or Smythington - Smyth? These lads did splendidly at the last rowing regatta and what not.

Eddie Bones: Hamish old sport, those 2 boys make a mean pimms but they can barely catch a ball. Or run.
Gill, eavesdropping from the back of his conveyance, sotto voce: 'hmm, they sound perfect for our little game'

Wb1234

Referee
Assuming NRL clubs have a cap of 17 to 20m in 2027 who else would come close to that ?
Super Rugby is currently at 5m ? English Rugby had a slightly higher cap than us but have recently pulled that down with the comp struggling financially.
I'm not sure what Top 14 and Japan's caps would be, but they'd currently be the highest?

Assuming the NRL has the largest cap we'd easily be able to keep our players, and who knows.. maybe a club could offer Ardi Suva enough coin to give league a go.
France and Japan would still be attractive

I think French union players pay no tax too (well the imports don’t)

Stormy weather

Juniors
RTS and Burgess both played for their respective countries in union.

If you say they were shit then international union is shit.

So shit that 'shit' players can get a start.
They both played and failed because they spent overs getting them across from league.

Both games are changing and evolving, just because you are a gun at one you won’t necessarily be a gun at the other.

What player in union would you target?

Pneuma

First Grade
Union had been building interest and credibility for a while going into 2003 though; ie we were World champs and the Bledisloe was a huge thing then.

They also had a team with a number of larger than life personalities that were hugely marketable, led by Gregan (his face was everywhere). I reckon a majority of Aussies would struggle to name a single current Wallaby; I know I would, with the exception of Quade Cooper who seems to defy age!!
Times have changed haven’t they? I couldn’t name 3 test cricketers now. As for Rugby Union, back in the early 2000s it was on a roll. It’s now almost dead and relies on the great game of rugby league to poach headlines. Problem is, no matter how many headlines it gets it’s still rugby union.

Wb1234

Referee
They both played and failed because they spent overs getting them across from league.

Both games are changing and evolving, just because you are a gun at one you won’t necessarily be a gun at the other.

How is union changing ?
This should be interesting

taste2taste

Juniors

The only positions that could switch these days are wingers. Union has replaced fleet footed centres with crash ball plodders. Professionalism has ruined the sport, running rugby has been replaced with playing the percentages and rarely swinging the ball out wide.

I know your question wasn't aimed at me but Owen Farrell, Ardi Suval and Tongan Thor ( can't remeber his real name ) would all be guns in league

taste2taste

Juniors
2003 was awfully close to 1996 and the super plod war. If they couldn't do any real damage then, they do f**k all now.
Yep, the horse has bolted, league can offer school kids real pathways and 5 x the money. Not to mention rugby withering away behind a double pay wall and the Wallabies loosing to everyone.

Stormy weather

Juniors
The only positions that could switch these days are wingers. Union has replaced fleet footed centres with crash ball plodders. Professionalism has ruined the sport, running rugby has been replaced with playing the percentages and rarely swinging the ball out wide.

I know your question wasn't aimed at me but Owen Farrell, Ardi Suval and Tongan Thor ( can't remeber his real name ) would all be guns in league
Look there are some great athletes especially in NZ. But I just don’t see it being a great idea.

Just see the risk outweighing the reward

Wb1234

Referee
Becoming more and more set piece oriented. A lot less open running play.

Where league is speeding up
Maybe in the 80s and 90s it was a bit more open than now but union has always been about the set pieces

their fans fap over them and also penalty goals

Stormy weather

Juniors
Maybe in the 80s and 90s it was a bit more open than now but union has always been about the set pieces

their fans fap over them and also penalty goals
It has always been the way up north but now the northern sides are dominate in a way they haven’t been before

taipan

Referee
I can remember being in awe of the All Blacks even as a League supporter some time back.They have lost that mystique and the only time Oz Rugby union had any sort of aura was when non tackling Campese ran the ball and the Ella bros were a decent combo .
Bandana head getting decked/king hit by a French player was about the only other time I got excited about that code.
Now top flight union players could walk up Pitt Street Mall in a conga line mooning ,and people would say who are these gimps back from Bali.I'd recognise more PNG players TBH.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The brief, slight uptake of union in Australia and the world coincided with one man: Jonah Lomu.

He was a one in a billion and a hundred generations talent and spectacle. I actually watched the game when he was playing, just to see him crush mere mortals like bugs in between penalty goals and scrums. Since he retired I'd prefer to watch pain dry then toffball.

RIP.

simmo05

Bench
I can imagine old mates Hamish and Eddie getting together on the polo fields:

Eddie Bones: Hamish old boy we need some players otherwise we are going to cop a rodgering at the next world cup.

Hamsandwich: Eddie old bean, what about young Tompkinston - Smyth or Smythington - Smyth? These lads did splendidly at the last rowing regatta and what not.

Eddie Bones: Hamish old sport, those 2 boys make a mean pimms but they can barely catch a ball. Or run.

Hamsandwitch: So we've got enough props then?

Eddie Bones: we need to open the war chest.

Hamsandwitch: its open, but I don't think players are accepting 1c and 2c pieces anymore.

Eddie Bones: what we need is a few NRL players.

Hamsandwitch: What? Those plebs? But I've got enough servants already.

Eddie Bones: No, to play rugger. They're the best, without them we won't be able to beat Georgia. Which beat us last time.

Hamsandwitch: But what can we offer them? Besides a guaranteed Wallaby jersey?

Eddie Bones: try that old see the world crap.

Hamsandwitch: ok, but I don't think we'll get anyone decent.

Eddie Bones: doesn't matter, as long as we get paid.

Both: Huzzah!
Indubitably suh!

Latest posts