What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
To be fair they also beat the Springboks. But in general the northern hemisphere has caught up to to us now, France, Ireland, England and Wales can foot it with the SH teams and beat them regularly.
From what I`ve read it has a lot more to do with the type of union they are playing in the northern hemisphere these days, stultifying territorial forward based game plans. Any team that dares to play what might be deemed (relatively speaking of course) an open ball-in-hand attacking type game will be punished. Bad luck Kiwi`s and poor old running rugby Oz.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
From what I`ve read it has a lot more to do with the type of union they are playing in the northern hemisphere these days, stultifying territorial forward based game plans. Any team that dares to play what might be deemed (relatively speaking of course) an open ball-in-hand attacking type game will be punished. Bad luck Kiwi`s and poor old running rugby Oz.
Other that the French they’ve largely always played that way in the NH though. The England side that won the RWC in 2003 sure did, their outside backs barely touched the ball.

t-ba

Post Whore
The ARU and John O'Neill misread the malaise surrounding the Super League war as some kind of permanent divorce from League and their strategies surrounding growing the game have pretty much set it up for failure.

I'm not even sure that they could follow the South African model of having squads stacked with overseas players. South African Union players aren't moving abroad for the fun and adventure of a few years overseas. They're bloody economic migrants. By way of a non-sport example, my cousins from Port Elizabeth aren't working as Agricultural Technicians in North Dakota because they want to see the world. It's because they can make way more there! The money's just so much better in Europe. Why uproot your whole life for a decade on the other side of the world when you can just play league at home for similar cash?

They're in a dark place. And as a league fan and a plastic Saffer it's truly glorious.

Wb1234

Referee
The ARU and John O'Neill misread the malaise surrounding the Super League war as some kind of permanent divorce from League and their strategies surrounding growing the game have pretty much set it up for failure.

I'm not even sure that they could follow the South African model of having squads stacked with overseas players. South African Union players aren't moving abroad for the fun and adventure of a few years overseas. They're bloody economic migrants. The money's just so much better in Europe. Why uproot your whole life for a decade on the other side of the world when you can just play league at home for similar cash?

They're in a dark place. And as a league fan and a plastic Saffer it's truly glorious.
Disagree

super rugby was a huge success with 3 Aussie teams and the South Africans in it and I think four kiwi teams

if they had stuck with that the sport would’ve been fine

kicking out South Africa killed the comp

t-ba

Post Whore
Disagree

super rugby east a huge success until with 3 Aussie teams and the South Africans in it and I think four kiwi teams

if they had stuck with that the sport would’ve been fine

South Africa only left during Covid. They last played in the abandoned 2020 season.

It was f**ked long before that.

Wb1234

Referee
South Africa only left during Covid.

It was f**ked long before that.
Five Aussie teams

go back and look at average crowds when they had 3 Aussie teams

and sa were booted out cause they wanted a trans Tasman conp

well here we are

CAS

Juniors
Does this mean they are coming home early without seeing the world? jeez, i caught the last 5 minutes and listening to the British commentary seemed to think its because they have too much 'code competition' back home. Yeah right, well they are losing that battle alright, every Aussie fan in the crowd looked like they had come right out of central casting for Posh boys school. They need more Rugby league attacking coaches to get over all the Rugby league defensive coaches imo, wash, rinse and repeat. How's it all going Hamish?

t-ba

Post Whore
Five Aussie teams

go back and look at average crowds when they had 3 Aussie teams

and sa were booted out cause they wanted a trans Tasman conp

well here we are

Mate, you said this

It was already dead by then.

As for the rest, three teams was never gonna be enough. The Force weren't a bad addition but needed way more time for bedding. And kore robust pathways and junior developmentbefore moving on to a fifth team.

taste2taste

Juniors
Does this mean they are coming home early without seeing the world? jeez, i caught the last 5 minutes and listening to the British commentary seemed to think its because they have too much 'code competition' back home. Yeah right, well they are losing that battle alright, every Aussie fan in the crowd looked like they had come right out of central casting for Posh boys school. They need more Rugby league attacking coaches to get over all the Rugby league defensive coaches imo, wash, rinse and repeat. How's it all going Hamish?
221 posts in 19 years ? And I thought I was a slow poster :D

Yes, the Wallabies fans in the crowd were the perfect cliche of a rugby fan, 55 to 65yrs old, white, and wearing a Rolex...or Tag if you want to go low key.

There would be alot of wives in Mosman and Rose Bay getting up to mischief while thier hubbies have scooted over to France to watch the rugby

Wb1234

Referee
Mate, you said this

It was already dead by then.

As for the rest, three teams was never gonna be enough. The Force weren't a bad addition but needed way more time for bedding. And kore robust pathways and junior developmentbefore moving on to a fifth team.
Waratahs crowds 25 to 30k
Reds same
Brumbies 15 to 20k

Aussie teams regularly won the comp

force average under 5k
Now

t-ba

Post Whore
Waratahs crowds 25 to 30k
Reds same
Brumbies 15 to 20k

Aussie teams regularly won the comp

force average under 5k
Now

What were those averages in 2019, when South Africa was in the comp for a full season for the last time?

I ain't arguing about the size of crowds when there were three sides dude.

Wb1234

Referee
What were those averages in 2019, when South Africa was in the comp?

I ain't arguing about the size of crowds when there were three sides dude.
I’ve literally said overexpansion was also a cause

and kicking out sa was wrong also because the standard now is awful. Nz get no decent games

rugby union was very successful for a long time

Wb1234

Referee
So the comp was already dead by then right?

So...this claim was not correct then?

Glad we are on the same page then brother?
No it wasn’t already dead

thanks for the semantics lmao

let’s ignore how sucessrful super rugby was for a long time

Latest posts