What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Last Week

Bench
It used to often seem like Rugby Union had an advantage over League because it was run by well-connected corporate types while League was largely run by ex-footballers in a “jobs for the boys” way. How times have changed, and ironically it seems that a lot of Union’s mismanagement problems have stemmed from corporate/boardroom culture:

I think the independent commission can be thanked for that.

gerg

Juniors
That's the great thing about being part of the old boys, there's always some one to bail you out.

1 phone call to Twiggy and RA will be dept free and could sign any NRL player they wanted.

geez I’d love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. After RA shafted the Western Force they’d have to beg for him to rescue them and I’m not sure those wanker leather elbow patch wearing upper management is able to swallow ‘that level’ of pride?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
At 31 December 2022 the balance sheet had a $4m deficit.

For the non accountants, if they were to liquidate they'd be in a $4m hole.

One of the assets is a $16m intangible 'rights to future lease arrangement'. Associated liability is $5m.

This $11m of their net assets doesn't really exist and can't be cashed out.

They're really at a $20m deficit if my reading of the financials is correct.

They have no assets to use as collateral.

I'd love to see the impairment testing done by the auditor. I can't imagine the old boy at KPMG wants to be the one saying the ARU is no longer a going concern.

Source https://australia.rugby/about/about-us/governance

Edit: Did some further reading. The interest on their loan is 7% above the RBA bank bill swap rate. Currently the swap rate is about 4%.

11% is loan shark rates for an entity like the ARU.

Lol
I get very nervous when I someone doing financial analysis whose avatar is called Munky.;)

taste2taste

Juniors
geez I’d love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. After RA shafted the Western Force they’d have to beg for him to rescue them and I’m not sure those wanker leather elbow patch wearing upper management is able to swallow ‘that level’ of pride?
Interestingly Twiggy was involved with one of the private equity groups that walked away from Rugby Australia ( they are called Taggaranga or something similar to that )

Twiggy has already shown he is happy to burn money for his beloved Force with that ridiculous Rugby comp he funded when the Force got kicked out.

If I were to look into my crystal ball, I'd say RA will be insolvent within 2 years, Twiggy will step in and take full control of RA and his wet dream will be complete. He'll make Eddie Jones wet dreams complete by telling him he can sign as many NRL players as he wants, the Wallabies will win the 2027 world cup and make Rugby great again.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
That's the great thing about being part of the old boys, there's always some one to bail you out.

1 phone call to Twiggy and RA will be dept free and could sign any NRL player they wanted.
Judging by what he’s done at the force he should take over ra immediately lmao

gerg

Juniors
Interestingly Twiggy was involved with one of the private equity groups that walked away from Rugby Australia ( they are called Taggaranga or something similar to that )

Twiggy has already shown he is happy to burn money for his beloved Force with that ridiculous Rugby comp he funded when the Force got kicked out.

If I were to look into my crystal ball, I'd say RA will be insolvent within 2 years, Twiggy will step in and take full control of RA and his wet dream will be complete. He'll make Eddie Jones wet dreams complete by telling him he can sign as many NRL players as he wants, the Wallabies will win the 2027 world cup and make Rugby great again.

I think you deserve a ‘full refund’ on that Crystal Ball because it’s clearly faulty.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good piont, Twiggy has the $ to buy the 15 best Rugby players in the world without blinking, so why are the Force always languishing last :/
hes spending on wa jnrs. He’s pumping millions into junior union here to develop local players. the bloke earns around $800milla year, personally And worth around $32billion.
He could buy the whole wallabies, kangaroos and all blacks squad for force if he wanted. Tbh I’m surprised he hasnt. Mind you he’s getting divorced so he might be short of a dollar soon lol

Wb1234

Immortal
hes spending on wa jnrs. He’s pumping millions into junior union here to develop local players. the bloke earnt around $400mill last year, personally!
He could buy the whole wallabies, kangaroos and all blacks squad for force if he wanted. Tbh I’m surprised he hasnt.
Wow maybe he should pay the people of Perth to attend force games

t-ba

Post Whore
Not in his case. $8bill cash and $24bill in company shares. Yeh you’re right there!

Cool how much of that has he spent on RU mate?

The Force still playing out of that shitbox eh?

Like, why bother with that failed private equity bid if you just got so much cash yourself?

taste2taste

Juniors
That's about 100k per year more than he's getting at the Roosters.

He's rep days are over and he looked totally disinterested playing in the Roosters elimination final against the Storm, his stats were 4 carries for 24 meters and 1 turnover lol

Time to enjoy the easy money in union