What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

CAS

Juniors
For all their bluster and influence, the one thing the Rugby Union world would love to do but cant is drop 2 players as good old little Rugby League has that game already , even their training sessions bar the big streaks of piss been lifted up by their shorts and the fat lads pile on's is basically Rugby league straight out of dummy half. Why do you think every out of work Rugby league player/Coach is coaching their teams, an attacking one and a defence one to counter the Rugby league attacking one, they are kind of backed into a corner as after telling everyone who would listen that our game would die, we hold the ultimate Ace in our very game on the field. In the meantime they will just have to keep imitating it and as the famous Quote says ' Imitation is the best form of flattery'

England yesterday though are still trying to keep the old tradition of Kick and Clap alive though, bless em.

Wb1234

Immortal
For all their bluster and influence, the one thing the Rugby Union world would love to do but cant is drop 2 players as good old little Rugby League has that game already , even their training sessions bar the big streaks of piss been lifted up by their shorts and the fat lads pile on's is basically Rugby league straight out of dummy half. Why do you think every out of work Rugby league player/Coach is coaching their teams, an attacking one and a defence one to counter the Rugby league attacking one, they are kind of backed into a corner as after telling everyone who would listen that our game would die, we hold the ultimate Ace in our very game on the field. In the meantime they will just have to keep imitating it and as the famous Quote says ' Imitation is the best form of flattery'

England yesterday though are still trying to keep the old tradition of Kick and Clap alive though, bless em.
Look at all the league coaches in union

I watched the game last night and agree it was putrid sport, but as an Aussie living in the UK it was great drama (particularly as I knew if England won I would never hear the end of it).

For me, the game needs to get rid of the contested scrum. It takes too long to set, and no one know what is happening in it (just listening to the commentators (which may have been biased last night given it was SA route back onto the game) even the referees seem to have to guess somewhat) and there is few ways of forcing a scrum that are the result of positive play. And are scrums really what people want to see? I think without the scrum the game would improve 10x immediately.

I also think there are things league could learn from union. I love lineouts; another skill where there is a genuine contest for the ball. If league had lineouts with a 7 tackle set after I think that would be an awesome addition (with the added benefit of requiring a different shape of player to be involved).

Within league where penalties are more around ill discipline and less technical, I think rugbies advantage rule should be worth considering in league. If you give away a penalty the team receiving the penalty has the full set as advantage. Would encourage more attacking in a set after a penalty and discourage players from giving away penalties (which for me, the cynical penalties given away by teams is the biggest blight on the game). I only say worth considering for this one (versus with lineouts where I would definitely add) because the full consequences would need to be thought through as coaches would definitely try to find a way to circumvent the spirit of this rule. Probably would need an increased use of the sun bin as well.

League could also consider changing to the union system of scoring for penalties and tries/conversions to again incentivise less penalties. Although whoever thought having three point drop goals was a good idea had obviously been dropped on their head (and potentially kicked) as a baby.

CAS

Juniors
I watched the game last night and agree it was putrid sport, but as an Aussie living in the UK it was great drama (particularly as I knew if England won I would never hear the end of it).

For me, the game needs to get rid of the contested scrum. It takes too long to set, and no one know what is happening in it (just listening to the commentators (which may have been biased last night given it was SA route back onto the game) even the referees seem to have to guess somewhat) and there is few ways of forcing a scrum that are the result of positive play. And are scrums really what people want to see? I think without the scrum the game would improve 10x immediately.

I also think there are things league could learn from union. I love lineouts; another skill where there is a genuine contest for the ball. If league had lineouts with a 7 tackle set after I think that would be an awesome addition (with the added benefit of requiring a different shape of player to be involved).

Within league where penalties are more around ill discipline and less technical, I think rugbies advantage rule should be worth considering in league. If you give away a penalty the team receiving the penalty has the full set as advantage. Would encourage more attacking in a set after a penalty and discourage players from giving away penalties (which for me, the cynical penalties given away by teams is the biggest blight on the game). I only say worth considering for this one (versus with lineouts where I would definitely add) because the full consequences would need to be thought through as coaches would definitely try to find a way to circumvent the spirit of this rule. Probably would need an increased use of the sun bin as well.

League could also consider changing to the union system of scoring for penalties and tries/conversions to again incentivise less penalties. Although whoever thought having three point drop goals was a good idea had obviously been dropped on their head (and potentially kicked) as a baby.
There is an old saying ‘ everyone is entitled to their opinion’ but WTF, we should adopt line outs????? I stopped reading after that.

Wb1234

Immortal
The idea to go to 13 players and introduce a play the ball where idea raised by rugby clubs in the rfu days before the schism of 1895 and rejected

the northern union originally retained the original union rules

the 1905 all blacks tour of England saw some attacking rugby played

at a game In headingly the bosses of the northern union were amazed at the attacking prowess of the all blacks and sought ways to make their game more entertaining

from this came about the rule changes that define rugby league

had they not made those changes it’s a good chance union would’ve but now can’t because league got there first

taste2taste

Juniors

League already has a short advantage, if nothing positive comes out of it then the ref calls penalty/scrum. But i agree, a longer advantage would promote attacking risk free footy but not a full set of 6, maybe just until the next tackle.

I like in union they call less knock ons, if the ball goes side ways play on. I rekon this would add more adventurous play in league, these days you drop the ball in any direction and it's a knock on.

The other thing I'd take from Union is thier foresight to spread the game 125+ years ago, imagine how big league could be internationally if we'd ever had the ambition to spread out side our tradional borders a century ago.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
League already has a short advantage, if nothing positive comes out of it then the ref calls penalty/scrum. But i agree, a longer advantage would promote attacking risk free footy but not a full set of 6, maybe just until the next tackle.

I like in union they call less knock ons, if the ball goes side ways play on. I rekon this would add more adventurous play in league, these days you drop the ball in any direction and it's a knock on.

The other thing I'd take from Union is thier foresight to spread the game 125+ years ago, imagine how big league could be internationally if we'd ever had the ambition to spread out side our tradional borders a century ago.
They were that keen on spending Union they even got the Nazis involved

Canard

Immortal

We have an advantage rule now?

And aren't 98% of line outs won by the team throwing the ball in? If anything the short drop out is this anyway, and with much more skill and geniune unpredictability.

And 3 points for a penalty, f**k me, you might as well outlaw tries.

Seems like you really want the game to be some sort of Union clone.

Wb1234

Immortal

Wasn’t much foresight to spread the game it was already in most of those places

and it spent a lot of it’s time trying to stop rugby league expanding internationally and still does

the nrl is taking the hard steps by adding a png nrl team and hopefully nz2

they will help solidly Int rugby league

For me the two biggest issues league has is that the ways of challenging for possession have all been removed, and the cynical coaching. While I think it was the correct decision to clean up the ruck and effectively make scrums uncontested, it does make it harder to do things to change momentum. The one on one strip rule does try to address that, and the rise of the short drop out is a good innovation, but I think more would be helpful. Plus I like line-outs; call for both different skills and different body shape.

But my biggest bug bear is cynics coaching and deliberate rule breaking. Anything that reduces that is great in my books; so I would make it really painful for those that commit penalties.

I agree with your point about forethought, but not something we can do about that now. Making the game better is all we can do at this stage.

We have an advantage rule now?

And aren't 98% of line outs won by the team throwing the ball in? If anything the short drop out is this anyway, and with much more skill and geniune unpredictability.

And 3 points for a penalty, f**k me, you might as well outlaw tries.

Seems like you really want the game to be some sort of Union clone.
Not a clone, but it is the closest game out there to ours and they do get some things right. We could improve our game by considering the things it does right, particularly if they address deficiencies on our game.

But I believe that things in union that make it turgid (incomprehensible rules, no separation, too many people on the field) are not things that we have. So given those preconditions having 3 point penalties sucks in union, but with a well defined advantage rule I think it could work in league.

Wb1234

Immortal
For me the two biggest issues league has is that the ways of challenging for possession have all been removed, and the cynical coaching. While I think it was the correct decision to clean up the ruck and effectively make scrums uncontested, it does make it harder to do things to change momentum. The one on one strip rule does try to address that, and the rise of the short drop out is a good innovation, but I think more would be helpful. Plus I like line-outs; call for both different skills and different body shape.

But my biggest bug bear is cynics coaching and deliberate rule breaking. Anything that reduces that is great in my books; so I would make it really painful for those that commit penalties.

I agree with your point about forethought, but not something we can do about that now. Making the game better is all we can do at this stage.
League got rid of most contests for the ball internationally to clean up the game and mean less penalties and let it flow more

even in union the ball rarely changes hands in scrums or lineouts

cynical coaching there’s nothing you can do about that most rugby league coaches should be pushed off a cliff

Canard

Immortal

We have limited tackles, that's what gives it the variety.

Imagine if Penrith could just give away penalties at will, knowing they could win the ball back at some hokey jump ball contest.

It will be 100 nil every week with 47 penalties a game

CAS

Juniors
Fair enough. I like line outs. It’s a genuine opportunity to win possession of the ball and change momentum.
Its like feeding scrums though, most go to the ones throwing it in. Hell i can even see the purpose of mauls or rolling mauls but Line outs, Nah. It means you need so many bean poles in your team who sadly aint much use for anything else, its a waste. You like it and that's fine, it would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

Wb1234

Immortal
Its like feeding scrums though, most go to the ones throwing it in. Hell i can even see the purpose of mauls or rolling mauls but Line outs, Nah. It means you need so many bean poles in your team who sadly aint much use for anything else, its a waste. You like it and that's fine, it would be boring if we all agreed on everything.
If union got rid of scrums and lineouts it would improve immensely

All conversions two pts and drop goals one

Within league where penalties are more around ill discipline and less technical
This is a popular myth. Ruck infringements in League are more technical than audiences realize. Media interpretations of penalties are often inaccurate or incomplete. It's patently obvious that most TV commentators and pundits have never read or understood the "Tackle and Play-the-Ball" section of our rulebook.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wasn’t much foresight to spread the game it was already in most of those places

and it spent a lot of it’s time trying to stop rugby league expanding internationally and still does

the nrl is taking the hard steps by adding a png nrl team and hopefully nz2

they will help solidly Int rugby league
Yep was spread through the British military to the commonwealth countries, which, surprise, surprise the military didn't allow RL at the time. Where we did manage to spread (France), we were more popular than Union, so they had the resigme confiscate our assets... permanently