What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Steel Saints

Juniors
West Indies cricket has a better chance of coming back than Australian Rugby. With the Windies, they could start or build a long term working partnership with the USA. And maybe one day, the Windies could benefit economically. Both countries are co hosting the twenty/20 world cup later this year.

As for Australian rugby, i am not sure what strategy they can undertake. Maybe they could leave Super Rugby and start again with their own national comp? But would anyone watch it?

And if Australian rugby was to become a minnow, then it will negatively impact on NZ rugby, in terms of economics and competition.

The Bledisloe Cup would be dead, if it isn't already...

wain

Juniors
4,000 fans turned up for the kick off to the Super Rugby season in Melbourne.

Rebels got smashed by the Force.

If the Rebels are still in existence by the end of the season I'll eat my hat. 22m in debt with 17k in the bank! Yikes !!
yeah, it’s an interesting scenario isn’t it? Organisers know the team will fold at end of season no doubt, but need to keep them playing in order to fulfil media contracts, so keep it under wraps. Yet everyone kinda knows anyway…so why go support them.

as someone who went through the Adelaide rams demise…knowing ahead of time that a team is folding us pretty disheartening. crowds numbers will continue to capitulate as the season continues. It makes the rams crowd numbers in their final season actually look pretty healthy.

Minimal cross over between fans - the Rebels would be the least visible professional sport team in the nation. I mentioned the Rebels impending demise to a large bunch of blokes that are big sports fans here (AFL, NBA and cricket mainly but we occasionally talk about Storm or SOO). The only one who had even heard of the Rebels was a former NRL player. Everyone knows the Wallabies, and some used to go to the occasional Wallabies game (not recently) but the Rebels will not be missed.

RU is mainly in the inner and middle suburbs and RL is all outer suburbs.

Regarding juniors, NRLVic would want to get a couple of junior clubs up and running within 20km of AAMI Park next season to try to grab some of the kids playing RU. There is a League Stars clinic in Bentleigh East, that is about in ‘RU territory‘.
The Storm need to focus on the inner suburbs over the next 5 years. There will never be a better opportunity to make serious inroads in these suburbs.

docbrown

Coach
The mods on Big Footy censored my account for saying AwFuL should add Nauru and Hunter Mariners as their next teams to have any hope of keeping up with the NRL.
Fumblenut Kevin Sheedy was saying that Newcastle should have a fumbleteam. The AFL should instead take their money, soak it in petrol and ignite it. At least that would provide some temporary benefit.

Colk

First Grade
Fumblenut Kevin Sheedy was saying that Newcastle should have a fumbleteam. The AFL should instead take their money, soak it in petrol and ignite it. At least that would provide some temporary benefit.

Coming from a person who actually lives in Newcastle, it is the most most insane idea I’ve heard (from them at least). Hence why I welcome to do it.