What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Wb1234

Referee

Billythekid

First Grade
We’re going to continue to lose players to union but as the NRL gets bigger and bigger it will be harder for them to poach players and less sustainable to do so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do WNRL players get paid more than Rugby 7s players ?

If so, then yeah they could poach a couple.
maybe not NZ and OZ ones but Im sure the other countries aren't getting paid much. The Australian ladies 15 union team are on up to $72k from RA plus whatever clubs pay. Whats the NRLW salaries these days?

it's ok i would rather them go to union than to walk out and go to a top nrl team who are already unstopable
league is becoming worse than european football

Yea this came up in a few months ago... not just the 7s girls are doing this but the 15s as well.

And NZR aren't blocking it either. They're being (surprisingly) pragmatic and recognise the benefit for the players, given women's rugby programs here aren't full time yet.

Which is admirable, but if they obviously run the risk they will stay in league and be lost to women's rugby forever. And at the rate the NRLW is progressing, those girls will be on fulltime contracts far sooner than their rugby counterparts will be.

Wb1234

Referee
Yea this came up in a few months ago... not just the 7s girls are doing this but the 15s as well.

And NZR aren't blocking it either. They're being (surprisingly) pragmatic and recognise the benefit for the players, given women's rugby programs here aren't full time yet.

Which is admirable, but if they obviously run the risk they will stay in league and be lost to women's rugby forever. And at the rate the NRLW is progressing, those girls will be on fulltime contracts far sooner than their rugby counterparts will be.
How things have changed back in the day a stint in league would get a player banned for life

How things have changed back in the day a stint in league would get a player banned for life
Indeed, and I think that change is good.

I've said many times here that I think there's room for both codes to flourish. Anything that keeps players in either code is a good thing IMO. Much rather talented union juniors play NRL, or talented league juniors play SR, than pick up a basketball, soccer ball or golf club.

Matua

Bench
Like Souths were when they signed Eion Crossan. I reckon his agent is still laughing to this day.
Somehow he managed to rack up 45 first grade matches.

TBF, Halligan seemed like as much of a joke when he switched (he was probably the least attackingly gifted of all the early 90s NZ rugby converts) and he was an unqualified success. So who knows?

Somehow he managed to rack up 45 first grade matches.

TBF, Halligan seemed like as much of a joke when he switched (he was probably the least attackingly gifted of all the early 90s NZ rugby converts) and he was an unqualified success. So who knows?
Yea maybe I'm being harsh... Cronulla picked him up after Souths so there mustve been something there. But I distinctly remember him literally backing into tackles on kick returns, and it not getting much better over his career. As a Kiwi it was almost embarrassing to see.

From memory there were hopes he'd bring his goal kicking attributes over like Ridge and Halligan, but in the end he lacked Ridgey's mongrel streak and ultimately didnt kick as well as Hallligan either.

Latest posts