What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League 2 is a let down

GRK_MAFIA

Juniors
ive got rugby 2004 and 2005 and frankly if rl2 comes anywere close to rugby 05 ill be happy but i dont c it happening i mean they may have a few extra points for added gameplay but the truth is sidhe cant implement the gameplay effectively passing system in rl1 for example

strong_latte

Juniors
Tell me how you rated Rugby 2004? 05 was grapically a great leap forward, but the lack of offloads, fixed weather conditions for stadiums, dry commentary, delayed animations and incorrect feild markings were all very very noticable flaws...
Rugby 2005 didn't have a franchise mode (World League mode is not a proper franchise) or online play... NRL2 will have both!

GRK_MAFIA

Juniors
ture but i just dont c sidhe implementing the new gameplay features effectively well they will be bodgie like the step and the passing system and so on of rl1

Kiwi

First Grade
I have to say, that whilst I thought rl1 was a major disappointment ( I sold the game 1 month after buying it ), i'll wait to see what rl2 has to offer before I comment.

They will however need to improve alot to make me buy the second game, and i'm sure that goes for alot of people who bought the first game.

Unless they can make teams actually do what is done of the field, then it's a waste of time. Wingers staying on the wing, the number 7 or 6 actually being the first recievers, 9 at hooker ect, and don't get me started on the defensive patterns. They fix that and i'll buy it, otherwise EA sports will be getting my money.

Watch this lol, you all will go out an buy the game, and love it straight away, as I will do. Then, 2 or 3 months after saying how awesome it is, the nitpicking will start again, and "this is bullshit" will flare up again lol. But untill then, lets wait and see, you cant call a game shit if you havent even played it yet. FFS!

Agreed! Go play the game before putting it down! I recall last time there were alot of twats out there who played the demo of RL1 which was made over 12 months prior to the games actual release and said they wouldn't buy it based on what they saw...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I recall last time there were alot of twats out there who played the demo of RL1 which was made over 12 months prior to the games actual release and said they wouldn't buy it based on what they saw...

And we have some guy judging the game by a few blurry photos from a game convention...

simostorm

Bench
Ha! I cant beleive some of the comments I read in this forum,
Would you's rather no rugby league game at all?
RL 1 was awesome, all the up to date players and jersey's at the time,
now there bringing out RL2 with all the features(Franchise, SHoulder charges etc)
that everyone whinged they wanted and ppl are still complaining!!!!!

Matt M

Juniors
I thought the reason Rugby 2005 was so good was that it actually felt like rugby union. Wheras RL1 and most other rugby games didn't feel like rugby at all.

The most important thing that RL2 needs is to feel like rugby league, other things are just extra's I think.

Kiwi

First Grade
strong_latte said:
Kiwi said:
They fix that and i'll buy it, otherwise EA sports will be getting my money.

You poor misguided man!

So none of the stuff I said worries you? You don't care that player positioning is all wrong? That the defensive side of things is a joke?

And I never said my money would be spent buying rugby 2005, ice hockey and gridion are much better.

strong_latte

Juniors
Kiwi said:
And I never said my money would be spent buying rugby 2005, ice hockey and gridion are much better.

:-# :-# :-# Gridiron and Ice Hockey... Sure they're technically well crafted video games, but what about the sports they're based on!

So none of the stuff I said worries you? You don't care that player positioning is all wrong? That the defensive side of things is a joke?

No, I agreed with that, I just don't have any respect for EA was all I was saying.

Kiwi

First Grade
strong_latte said:
Kiwi said:

:-# :-# :-# Gridiron and Ice Hockey... Sure they're technically well crafted video games, but what about the sports they're based on!

No, I agreed with that, I just don't have any respect for EA was all I was saying.

I actually enjoy both sports they are based on, but hey each to their own in that regard.

Broncodroid

Juniors
The guys developing the Rugby League franchise had to start some where and IMO they produced a good base from which to build. This is coming from a guy who pays his $99 each and every year for the Madden (since the original on Megadrive), NBA Live, Tiger Woods etc series.

Expecting "blood from a stone" springs to mind here from one member at least, the developers SIDHE do not have the multi million dollar budget that EA Sports and Madden in particular have behind them...they are doing their best with the "tools" in front of them to appease the League starved gamers who have long demanded a Rugby League game.

Give them time, be patient and continue to forward feedback so as they can continually improve the title.

lolesi

First Grade
Well said Broncodroid.

I can not wait for RL2, i loved RL1 and still play it pretty often.

Munky

Coach
ARL 96 was made by the Creative Assembly who are good talented developers, Rugby 2001 was a good game for what it was I thought.

For some reason CA and EA don't work together anymore and we got HB Studios, do you really want them making a League game. EA will never make a League, Union or Cricket game in-house, so a small independent developer will do a better job because their only source of income is sales, where as HB or another developer is contracted by EA would still be paid the same no matter how shite the game is.

dG

Juniors
I am not sure if this has been mentioned or if it is knowledge or whatever...

But soon after the realease of teh first one I conducted an interview with Andrew Voss on a radio show that I host in Coffs...

We were talkeing about the low budget for the first game and what was achieved with it, but he mentioned that after the code had started to be developed and the game take shape EA actually wanted to buy the game and finish it themselves, but SIDHE decided they did not want to do that and finished the game themselves.

Personally I am glad - sure the game may not have been as 'polished' as an EA title, but I also feel that as an EA title people would have been much more critical of what was done - and I also feel that they would not have gone to the lengths to create what was made - considering the budget of SIDHE.

Now i dont know what SIDHE have in teh kitty for round 2 - but I would hazard a guess that it is more than for the first game - I am not expecting miracles, I dont think any one was - and the comment about people hiding their dissapointment - I think is wrong...after playing the demo of teh first that was releeased well before the game I think a lot of poeple were VERY VERY happy with what they got...and will be for the second game...

As long as it is fun - that is all that matters. League 1 was fun...so will League 2 be. It will take what was good from the first and tweak it to make it better, and change what wasnt...also the clear graphical improvments are great. So they may have their arms out from their body...are you really not going to buy the game for it?...

EA would do no different to what SIDHE are doing...in fact I reacon they would do less...See Rugby 2001 and 2003 for example.

Razor

Coach
Have you actually played an EA game that wasn't produced in the Candian or US studios? They suck.

And EA can produce a game if they want. Not sure if they do or not, but even if Sidhe have the exclusive license to the NRL teams and players, other companies can still create a game, as long as the don't use the registered names (Brisbane Horses, Newcastle Armour, etc. and with players Darren Locker, Andrew Jones, etc.)

Latest posts