What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in dire straits in NSW as Queensland leads the way

t-ba

Post Whore
SL went for 1 season you f**king idiot. Read the context. God you eptimosie stupidity.

By the way, Sydney has too many teams in it. Evidenced by your sh*t crowd figures.

According to you, league is better supported in NSW than it is in QLD, so the only reasonable answer to the sh*t crowds you repeatedly get in comparison, is too many teams.

Get it yet spastic?

Yeah, because the war wasn't on in 1995 and 1996...good one.

so is your ongoing belief that sydney has good crowds...

im not knocking the obvious league fans on this board..im knocking the low crowd figures in sydney.

And this is the reason that there has been a perceived shift in the "heartland" of league north of the border. Its obvious.

Lets see what the broncs get this arvo. 40k is definitely on the cards...now if sydney could get those figures we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Now, I only watched the game on TV but if there was 40k there I'll eat a pair of locky#1's used undies...

Nonsense. When the BRL ceased to be a top level competition in the late 80s, you would hardly say that Brisbane people ceased to follow league. Far from it, since we now lead you guys.

Only in your dreams.

Did the BRL comp cease to exist, or did you just flick it in favour of the NSWRL comp?

I can't say I know the answer, the BRL comp was something I knew nothing about.

Interestingly, there is competition from Union and AFL in Brisbane... and League has seen it off. Sadly, it is an AFL team that tops attendances in Sydney.

You haven't seen them off and with only one team you probably never will...

I would expect a one-city team to top attendances in Sydney. There are enough people here to make any code look like they have a good following when they have nothing but a boutique following.

Put 9 AFL teams in Sydney and they'll average 5k.

Put 5 NRL teams in Brisbane and what will they average?

10k?

KHunt

Juniors
BRL averages would have been 8-10k each pre Broncos days I reckon, 8 teams.

8 x 8k = 64k every two weeks.
Last year Broncos averaged 32k

What's happened to the other 32,000 Brisbane Rugby league fans?
GIVE BRISBANE A SECOND TEAM.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Yeah, because the war wasn't on in 1995 and 1996...good one.

The thicksh*ts just keep on coming...

The context you idiot, was his argument that 20 teams would have worked if given time, my counter to that was that the sl only ran for one year, so you cannot dimiss one as a failure and not use the same argument for the other. Get it yet?

What is even more stupid is that technically the sl 'plan' never happened at all. They just took who ever would come.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I thought the Broncos preferred Sunday arvo games? How does today's sh*thouse crowd support that argument when compared with their Friday night crowds?

I'll break it down nice and simple for Sam I Am: there are approximately 1.5 million people in Brisbane, 2 million if you add in Logan, Ipswich, Caboulture, and Redcliffe (I add these places because people normally add Penrith and Campbelltown to Sydney). There is one NRL team representing this region, with a crowd average of 38,000 (according to Sam). 38,000/2,000,000 = 1.9 people per 100 attending each game. Sydney has a population of approximately 4.5 million (including Wollongong), and 9 teams representing the region. That gives an average of 500,000 for each team. Let's again err on the side of Queensland and say the Sydney crowd average is 10,000. 10,000/500,000 = 2.0 people per 100 attending each game. Now in reality, the Sydney crowd average is (much) higher and the Broncos lower than stated. The point is, the attendances for club games in NSW and Qld are pretty comparable when the respective populations and number of teams are taken into account.

What is really embarrassing for the Broncos is that their crowd figures are dwarfed by those of the Adelaide Crows and West Coast Eagles, both which have direct competition in their local area and represent a smaller population base than the Broncos. Perhaps more embarrassing is that the Brisbane Lions draw 28,000 on average in a supposed League heartland, and haven't made the finals since 2004. The Swans average by way of comparison is about 32,000.

Of course, while we fire missiles back and forth at each other over what are in reality historically high crowd numbers overall, the AFL still rapes us by more than doubling our overall average. Of course their crowds are also historically high.

Some more figures:

Year League Average AFL Average
1958 9,462 22,172
1968 12,854 20,216
1978 10,087 22,916
1988 10,071 20,082
1998 10,935 34,768
2008 15,591 36,996

t-ba

Post Whore

The context you idiot, was his argument that 20 teams would have worked if given time, my counter to that was that the sl only ran for one year, so you cannot dimiss one as a failure and not use the same argument for the other. Get it yet?

What is even more stupid is that technically the sl 'plan' never happened at all. They just took who ever would come.

In both the UK and Australia, the merging of traditional clubs was viscously resisted during Super League. You don't have to do something to know it's stupid. I don't have to put myself in a hot pizza oven to know it's a stupid idea. You can always check that one out for me if you want.

BRL averages would have been 8-10k each pre Broncos days I reckon, 8 teams.

8 x 8k = 64k every two weeks.
Last year Broncos averaged 32k

What's happened to the other 32,000 Brisbane Rugby league fans?
GIVE BRISBANE A SECOND TEAM.

Maybe at the QRL matches?

fightingirish69

Juniors
Only in your dreams.

Did the BRL comp cease to exist, or did you just flick it in favour of the NSWRL comp?

I can't say I know the answer, the BRL comp was something I knew nothing about.

You haven't seen them off and with only one team you probably never will...

I would expect a one-city team to top attendances in Sydney. There are enough people here to make any code look like they have a good following when they have nothing but a boutique following.

Put 9 AFL teams in Sydney and they'll average 5k.

Put 5 NRL teams in Brisbane and what will they average?

10k?

ea the media gave the brl the flick as soon as the broncos arrived, and the brisbane public followed like sheep in the anticipation of seeing our boys give it to the cockroaches.

if us queenslanders like rugby league that much why aren't they packing in to to see the local comp on the weeks the broncos aren't playing? is it superficial reasons?,

was the non -sell out crowd at suncorp because the broncs were playing the following night and these diehard league fans woyould forsake a test for a club fixture?

it pains me to say but queensland is far from a rugby league heartleand, more a nrl - origin fan base

Loudstrat

Coach

1994 16 teams
1995 20 treams
1996 20 teams
1997 22 teams

There were at least 20 teams for 3 years you clot.

And another thing - you know the year more league fans piled through the turnstiles than any other? 1997. People pissed off and angered by the war. Clubs such as Hunter lucky to get a feral goat through the game. But the game had a team in every concievable place where League had a snowballs chance of existiong.

The lesson - the more teams, the more people.

Yes, 35k at Suncorp in an ESL type atmosphere is wonderful. But another 35k in the same town not going to the game because of lack of choice or whatever is utterly diabolical.

League makes money mainly from TV. The code earns $X per game. That struggling Sydney club earns the same money in broadcast rights as Brisbane does. It is only in crowd numbers that Brisbane exceeds anyone (setting aside sponsorship for a second). Another team in Brisbane would double the harvest that League gains from that city. Yet, everyone is arguing for less teams because Brisban'e unique situation produces a big crowd - even though many more DO NOT go through the gate ther than is possible.

Sam I Am

Juniors
I'll break it down nice and simple for Sam I Am: there are approximately 1.5 million people in Brisbane,... Now in reality, the Sydney crowd average is (much) higher and the Broncos lower than stated.

You don't have to go through your flawed and discredited logic again, slowly or quickly. No matter how you spin it, there is no mathematical basis for increasing or decreasing an average. You simply demonstrate your mathematical ignorance by persisting in this argument.

What is really embarrassing for the Broncos is that their crowd figures are dwarfed by those of the Adelaide Crows and West Coast Eagles

Dwarfed? The Broncos are the only team that even have a shot at giving the AFL a run for its money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Australian_football_code_crowds

If they dwarf the Broncos, what do they do to the Sydney figures?

Of course, while we fire missiles back and forth at each other over what are in reality historically high crowd numbers overall, the AFL still rapes us by more than doubling our overall average. Of course their crowds are also historically high.

Yes they do. Because our figures are dragged down by Sydney clubs.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
You are a boring fuctard that has been told 30 times that more people have gone through the turnstyles in Sydney than they do in Brisbane year after year and more people per average go to games. Furthermore, more people also watch it on the box here.

What do you want to do? To compare 12 lousy matches against over 100 in Sydney.

You are worse than the AFL trolls who try to push rubbish arguments on what a massive club the Swans are, based on 12 lousy games in Sydney every 12 months, with test pattern Tv ratings.

Last year the Broncos had 400k at their home games, with a whole city behind them, yet my club had 175,000 despite playing like busted arses. Throw in the Tigers crowds, and 2 Sydney clubs have virtually matched your club, not even counting all the rest.

Don't bother responding with your monotonous one liners, no one gives a damn.

lockyrulz

Juniors
1994 16 teams
1995 20 treams
1996 20 teams
1997 22 teams

There were at least 20 teams for 3 years you clot.

LOL you f**king idiot, you just strengthened my argument, god you're a thicksh*t :lol:

And another thing - you know the year more league fans piled through the turnstiles than any other? 1997. People pissed off and angered by the war. Clubs such as Hunter lucky to get a feral goat through the game. But the game had a team in every concievable place where League had a snowballs chance of existiong.

Well that is neither surprising nor remotely relevant.
The lesson - the more teams, the more people.

Really? So how many teams should there be? Presumably you would be in favour of simply merging the NRL with every QRL team?

Yes, 35k at Suncorp in an ESL type atmosphere is wonderful. But another 35k in the same town not going to the game because of lack of choice or whatever is utterly diabolical.

So you are advocating another team in the sth east qld area, gee wow, what a revelation... I mean I've only agreed with this a dozen times.

League makes money mainly from TV. The code earns $X per game. That struggling Sydney club earns the same money in broadcast rights as Brisbane does. It is only in crowd numbers that Brisbane exceeds anyone (setting aside sponsorship for a second). Another team in Brisbane would double the harvest that League gains from that city. Yet, everyone is arguing for less teams because Brisban'e unique situation produces a big crowd - even though many more DO NOT go through the gate ther than is possible.

It isn't just Brisbane's situation for starters. Also have you bothered to consider WHY the game attracts so many viewers? Do you think it might be the quality of the product? Have a think about it for once in your life, if you are even capable, I appreciate you don't have a whole lot to work with.

Moron..

Loudstrat

Coach
Proves your attitude, Locky. You agree with me and call me f*cking idiot and a moron.

I guess you are right. If I agreed with any of your baseless tripe, I WOULD be a f*cking idiot and a moron.

Latest posts