What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in dire straits in NSW as Queensland leads the way

Sam I Am

Juniors
As I said the Heartbeat of Rugby League is NSW and especially regional NSW, while QLD regionals are also very strong Rugby League heartlands.

I don't doubt the commitment of the regions. Furthermore, regional Queensland is as much the heartbeat of the game as anywhere. However, the game is being run into the ground in Sydney, and by the public face of the game in Sydney: its NRL clubs.

typicalfan

Coach
I'm not questioning the fact the the junior leagues in brisbane are in good health. They clearly are. The the question that I ask is - why isn't this number translating into a healthy amount of NRL players? Answer: there's only 1 team in Brisbane.

No, you didn't ask that. You said:
"having just one team is in fact doing damage to the game in Brisbane".

It clearly isn't. You were wrong.
[/quote]But it is, the amount of juniors in Brisbane making it to the NRL is so small, so what happens to the rest? QLD Reds? Brisbane Lions? nothing?

The NRL is strong in Brisbane but Rugby League in general is probably not quite as strong. Sport isn't just about the top level, you need kids playing the game and NSW has an enormous amount of kids playing the game.

Sam I Am

Juniors

The NRL is strong in Brisbane but Rugby League in general is probably not quite as strong. Sport isn't just about the top level, you need kids playing the game and NSW has an enormous amount of kids playing the game.

And I have just provided a link demonstrating just how strong it is below the top level in Brisbane. You on the other hand have made an unsubstantiated claim.

typicalfan

Coach
I don't doubt the commitment of the regions. Furthermore, regional Queensland is as much the heartbeat of the game as anywhere. However, the game is being run into the ground in Sydney, and by the public face of the game in Sydney: its NRL clubs.
Manly and Cronulla are the only clubs really struggling, Newcastle is struggling financially but it doesn't hold the game back, without a club in Newcastle there would go a huge Rugby League heartland it is vital to the game.

To tarnish all Sydney clubs together is a bit much, each individual club Sydney, QLD, elsewhere doesn't matter are dealing with their own individual problems. Many Sydney clubs are very healthy and are very strongly supported everywhere in Australia.

lockyrulz

Juniors
f**king derrr.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You are doing well so far.

Yet there they are... Might be time to relocate some yea?

It couldn't get any decent players because of the Sydney teams?

:lol:

Why is that funny? More teams, best players have to be spread across more teams. Less teams, more quality players available. Simple enough concept.
How many Origin players did the Broncos have at the time?

No idea, not the point really.
They could have parted with 4 or 5 and still had 6 or 7 in their team.

We aren't talking about a charity. It is about how many teams in Sydney need to limp along and drag everyone else down to their level.

They died in the arse because of the Broncos greed, nothing to do with Sydney clubs.

What crap. The Broncos could have done nothing if the crushers had had on field success. Imagine if 3 Sydney teams had folded, and the best players for those clubs could have been recruited by the crushers, they would still be in the comp now. Get it yet? No you probably don't..

Gallop wouln't know if you were up him.

There is no second Brisbane team because the Broncos don't want one.

Yes, just like they stopped the GC coming in, oh wait... I hear they may also operate black helicopters and involve themselves in world assainations.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I'm not questioning the fact the the junior leagues in brisbane are in good health. They clearly are. The the question that I ask is - why isn't this number translating into a healthy amount of NRL players? Answer: there's only 1 team in Brisbane.

No, you didn't ask that. You said: "having just one team is in fact doing damage to the game in Brisbane".

It clearly isn't. You were wrong.
[/quote]

But you haven't answered the question - why does Brisbane's great number juniors not translate into NRL players, as woefully pathetic production line of players coming out of Brisbane indicates? Why? Because having one Brisbane team is doing DAMAGE to the game in Brisbane as supply isn't meeting demand and potential NRL players out of Brisbane are being lost to the game. Sure, Sydney teams and other NRL clubs can recruit from Brisbane as well but there's nothing quite like having a team (or 2) actually based in your own city.

The game certainy isn't weak in brisbane, but unfortunately it can be much, much stronger. The healthy junior numbers Brisbane has is IN SPITE OF being disdvantaged by only having one team. How much more juniors can Brisbane have if there were 2 teams?

The simple facts are - Sydney juniors NRL players = 116. Brisbane juniors NRL players - 26. Granted Sydney is double the size of Brisbane but Brisbane's tally should be at least double that.

And the junior numbers doesn't even take into account the amount of spectators being lost to the game in Brisbane by not having a 2nd team. The Broncos crowds might take a very small hit but will still be healthy and the AGGREGATE number of fans attending games in Brisbane would dramatically increase for the betterment of the game.

Sam I Am

Juniors
I have never read a more confused ramble of "ideas" in my life.

But you haven't answered the question - why does Brisbane's great number juniors not translate into NRL players, as woefully pathetic production line of players coming out of Brisbane indicates?

You say this after completely ignoring the fact that you were wrong and proven to be wrong.

Because having one Brisbane team is doing DAMAGE to the game in Brisbane as supply isn't meeting demand and potential NRL players out of Brisbane are being lost to the game.

Stop trying to use words that you've heard the grown ups saying. You only look silly. There is clearly a large supply of players. I even provided a link. Furthermore, if the demand for players wasn't being met, there would be teams with empty rosters.

The game certainy isn't weak in brisbane, but unfortunately it can be much, much stronger. The healthy junior numbers Brisbane has is IN SPITE OF being disdvantaged by only having one team. How much more juniors can Brisbane have if there were 2 teams?

Second Division isn't a junior comp, clueless southerner.

Queensland has a better Stadium but lets not forget that A)Queensland only One team while Sydney has 9 B)They would never be able to continuously support 9 Professional Rugby League Clubs C)Their infested with toads...

Sam I Am

Juniors
Queensland has a better Stadium but lets not forget that A)Queensland only One team while Sydney has 9 B)They would never be able to continuously support 9 Professional Rugby League Clubs C)Their infested with toads...

Your comment tells us three things. A) You make the same lame defence of Sydney that every other unthinking clodhopper makes, despite it being thouroughly debunked B) Hang on. You just make the same point again and put a B) in front of it to look like you had two ideas C) There (sic) education system must be terrible down there.

Jason Maher

Immortal
The fun of having two threads on the same topic - I've been referring to the other one and didn't realise it. :lol:

Sam I Am

Juniors
The fun of having two threads on the same topic - I've been referring to the other one and didn't realise it. :lol:

Perhaps we should consolidate them into a single "It is a fact universally acknowledged that a single man in search of a great seat at the football will have no problems finding one at any number of near empty rugby league stadia in Sydney" thread. Or we could call it "Pride (up north) and Prejudice (down south)" for short. :)

Loudstrat

Coach
Maybe we should call it The Good (Sydney Rl attendences per 100 people), The Bad (Brisbanes comparative stats, which are deplorable) and The Ugly (Sam I Am).

Yet there they are... Might be time to relocate some yea?

err, no.

Possibly one, Cronulla.

Why is that funny? More teams, best players have to be spread across more teams. Less teams, more quality players available. Simple enough concept.

It's not funny, it's laughable, subtle difference.

The Crushers had a few decent players, whilst Brisbane had an Origin line-up.

Tell me any Sydney team that could boast 9 or 10 Origin players at one time?

No idea, not the point really.

No, you don't, and yes, it was exactly the point.

We aren't talking about a charity. It is about how many teams in Sydney need to limp along and drag everyone else down to their level.

According to you, and a couple of other spastics.

The NRL needs the Sydney teams, luckily, they know it.

What crap. The Broncos could have done nothing if the crushers had had on field success. Imagine if 3 Sydney teams had folded, and the best players for those clubs could have been recruited by the crushers, they would still be in the comp now. Get it yet? No you probably don't..

What a really stupid paragraph.

The Broncos could have done nothing if the Crushers had had on-field success?

The Crushers were a Brisbane-based side, yet accordding to you the only other Brisbane side in the NRL should't have had to shed any players for the Crushers, they should have all come from Sydney clubs that should have been punted.

:lol:

Yes, just like they stopped the GC coming in, oh wait... I hear they may also operate black helicopters and involve themselves in world assainations.

So, the Gold Coast is now in Brisbane is it?

lockyrulz

Juniors
err, no.

Possibly one, Cronulla.
Right, so you agreed 9 teams in Sydney is stupid, 8 is what exactly? Oh wait you said possibly, so when you agreed 9 teams was stupid you really didn't. This is why I detest arguing with imbeciles like you, always so much more work. Not only do I need to explain the facts to you, I need to hold your hand through your own stupidity

It's not funny, it's laughable, subtle difference.
It is neither. Your idiocy and ignorance however is just sad.

The Crushers had a few decent players, whilst Brisbane had an Origin line-up.
They failed miserably on the field precisely why they are no longer with us.

Tell me any Sydney team that could boast 9 or 10 Origin players at one time?
I really don't give a sh*t, as it has nothing to do with what we are discussing. How would the crushers just 'get' Brisbane players? It might help you if you actually think before you type nonsense.

No, you don't, and yes, it was exactly the point.
It was not the point, the point is there are too many sydney teams, evidenced via their inability to get enough people through the gates to make a profit which you apparently agreed with two posts ago you freakin moron.

According to you, and a couple of other spastics.
What like Arthurson and Quayle? Spastic.

The NRL needs the Sydney teams, luckily, they know it.
Evidently your former ARL heads didn't. You do realise that the comp no longer has norths, Wests or Balmain in it yea? I mean even you aren't that much of a tard surely? How come the comp didn't 'need' them?

What a really stupid paragraph.

The Broncos could have done nothing if the Crushers had had on-field success?

The Crushers were a Brisbane-based side, yet accordding to you the only other Brisbane side in the NRL should't have had to shed any players for the Crushers, they should have all come from Sydney clubs that should have been punted.
What a really stupid response. What could brisbane have done if the crushers had onfield success, had crowds rolling through the gate and made lots of money? SFA that's what. f**k me surely even your soup strainer of a brain can work this out.

What exactly could Brisbane have done in this scenario? Tell us dipsh*t. Do you even get it yet, it isn't what you think the broncos 'should' have done, it's what they 'could' have done had the crushers had access to better players. See again I have to repeat things, so much harder with you morons..

So, the Gold Coast is now in Brisbane is it?
Sigh...

The broncos didn't want the competition of the Titans, yet there they are. If you can't work the rest out for yourself get a bigger person to help you.

Last edited:

Sam I Am

Juniors
Maybe we should call it The Good (Sydney Rl attendences per 100 people),...

Indeed.

Tonight, a Sydney team who had to move a game that they thought no one would go to, had a crowd in Gosford that could be counted in the hundreds.

Shamefully poor.

Latest posts