What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in dire straits in NSW as Queensland leads the way

Sam I Am

Juniors
Sorry, that's a small-minded argument to be using. Let's suppose for a moment that you live in Sydney and you follow the Bulldogs. Not only will you get to see your team play at ANZ stadium 12 times in the season, but you will also be just as able to see them play the Panthers, Eels, Tigers, Sharks, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Dragons and Sea Eagles away. That's an additional 8 games. 10 if you make day-trips to Newcastle and Canberra. And then there is the strong chance that you have friends who don't follow the 'Dogs and you will go to see a game where their teams are playing but the Bulldogs are.

Judging from the crowd figures, there is a strong chance that you will have friends that don't follow any team. :)

If there were really all of these supporters floating around going to home and away games, we wouldn't see sub-10000 crowds. Far from it. Clearly there are not many people doing what you describe.

If your argument were correct (which it patently isn't) then the support for each team looks even worse, as the already meagre crowd support would have to be divided by two.

Or the fact that Sydneysiders, unlike those of you living in SEQ, don't get free public transport to and from the game.

Bad luck!:cool:

Knightmare

Coach
Judging from the crowd figures, there is a strong chance that you will have friends that don't follow any team. :)

If there were really all of these supporters floating around going to home and away games, we wouldn't see sub-10000 crowds. Far from it. Clearly there are not many people doing what you describe.

If your argument were correct (which it patently isn't) then the support for each team looks even worse, as the already meagre crowd support would have to be divided by two.

Bad luck!:cool:

I didn't say that at all. I said that there are quite a few. At least as many as the Qld fans. The only 'trip' a Broncos fan has to make in a year is to the Gold Coast (and vice versa) and only once. Wow, big difference!

Ladmate

Bench
I can't help it if the Dogs take a home game to Suncorp against the Cowboys and nobody turns up ... I also can't help it if both teams at the time couldn't score in a brothel

If your beloved Dogs took the game to Townsville as any intelligent administrator would have, you would have got a decent crowd ... still the 10k you quote is pretty decent compared to Sydney crowds nowadays

Oink !

But you love your footy. It shouldnt matter.

greg

Juniors
So what is your proposal to solve this?

I don't think he has one cutie. I think we would all like to hear it if he does. All he has contributed so far is an obvious hatred for anything south of the border. Come on Sam give us a suggestion (excluding any re-hash of the failed vision of one J Ribot).

bobmar28

Bench
:shock: You're deadset a Tele journo. "Near empty stadiums"? For a start, it's stadia, and secondly, EVERY CLUB (even Cronulla) has upped their average over 10,000 in the past five years. We had just TWO crowds below 7,000 last year and so far have had none under 8,000 this year. Yeah, we can do a lot to up crowds, but the inference that most Sydney matches are played in "near empty stadiums" really only applies to Cronulla and they're even manage 8k+.

Crowds over 10,000? Woohoo! In a city of 4.5 million?

By the way I was at that Dogs game late last year with 8,000 others and I can tell you it lacked atmosphere.

If Sydney had 4 or 5 teams instead of 9, stadiums would be full and AFL supporters would have no weakness to point to regarding leagues crowds.

Stadia. Austadiums. Who cares?

bobmar28

Bench
Now why would the state of QLD waste half a billion dollars doing that? We've seen your white elephant. We laugh at it. Every crappy sydney club game played in front of 70,000 empty blue seats. Why would we make the same mistake? Its irrational thinking like that that supports my belief that the sydney crowd arent smart enough to fix their own backyard, and are going to need a progressive thinking outsider to drag them out of the doldrums.

The Grand Final must be played in the biggest stadium available and that is ANZ.

Crowds over 10,000? Woohoo! In a city of 4.5 million?

By the way I was at that Dogs game late last year with 8,000 others and I can tell you it lacked atmosphere.

If Sydney had 4 or 5 teams instead of 9, stadiums would be full and AFL supporters would have no weakness to point to regarding leagues crowds.

Stadia. Austadiums. Who cares?

It's sad when people think like that, shows a complete lack of understanding.

No, the stadiums wouldn't be full and all you'd do is alienate the fans of the culled clubs.

If there were only 4 or 5 Rugby League teams in Sydney, where do you think fans of the teams who were punted would go?

To other Rugby League teams?

Do you think the majority of North Sydney's fans just gravitated to another Rugby League team?

Just to make it easy for you, the answer is no, they didn't. They didn't go and follow Manly, Easts, Souths etc, they stopped following the game. Which allows them to be picked up by Union and/or AFL, who aren't offering them the opportunity to follow a club for a few years only to see them punted because a few dopey Queenslanders said it'd be a good idea...

bobmar28

Bench
It's sad when people think like that, shows a complete lack of understanding.

No, the stadiums wouldn't be full and all you'd do is alienate the fans of the culled clubs.

If there were only 4 or 5 Rugby League teams in Sydney, where do you think fans of the teams who were punted would go?

To other Rugby League teams?

Do you think the majority of North Sydney's fans just gravitated to another Rugby League team?

Just to make it easy for you, the answer is no, they didn't. They didn't go and follow Manly, Easts, Souths etc, they stopped following the game. Which allows them to be picked up by Union and/or AFL, who aren't offering them the opportunity to follow a club for a few years only to see them punted because a few dopey Queenslanders said it'd be a good idea...

So the answer to the AFL push into western Sydney (Read my original post) is 9 teams in Sydney playing in near empty stadiums?

Or better still, as one Qlder in this thread joked, a team on every street corner.

Don't tell me about North Sydney, it's an upper class area that has generally always followed union, and these days also AFL.

Last edited:
So the answer to the AFL push into western Sydney (Read my original post) is 9 teams in Sydney playing in near empty stadiums?

Or better still, as one Qlder in this thread joked, a team on every street corner.

Don't tell me about North Sydney, it's an upper class area that has generally always followed union, and these days also AFL.

Near empty? God you keep making it sound like 10 people go to each f*cking game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's what our friend Sam and his cohorts do best, avoids the point with sensationalist claims.

Jason Maher

Immortal
They are also completely incapable of any historical research. Sydney crowd numbers have increased dramatically over the past 20 years, whereas the Broncos numbers have remaind static. They also fail to take into account that the Broncos having 1 team in a city of 1.5 million gives them a much larger fan base than any of the Sydney teams, hence why individual crowd numbers are much larger. Also the lack of games to go to (12 per year) means more people are likely (and able) to attend each game.

Other factors ignored are:

- the universal tendency in every sport known for fans to attend games when their team is winning and not attend when their team is losing (hence Parra, Roosters, Sharks crowds are down, Dragons, Bulldogs, Souths are up; Broncos have never had a losing season, hence their consistently high crowds; compare the old Gold Coast team to the Titans)
- Fewer opportunities to attend will raise crowds - compare crowds at Kogarah and Wollongong pre- and post-merger (6 games per year vs 12 games per year)
- Tossing teams out to try and artificially achieve the fewer games, bigger crowds phenomenon will not work as you alienate masses of fans in the process
- The difference between a 1-team town and a 9.5-team town
- Cost factors, such as the free transport one Knightmare mentioned

What particularly irks me is all the Queenswankers saying Sydney teams should show a bit of innovation to bring in some more money. When a bunch of teams do exactly that by taking games to ANZ Stadium, they whinge about small crowds in giant stadia. There have also been games taken to Brisbane, Gosford, Perth, New Zealand, and Adelaide. What Queensland-based team has ever taken a game elsewhere? Aren't the Queenslanders the ones banging on about driving expansion? Why don't one of the Cowboys, Broncos, or Gold Coast take some games to PNG and Darwin? Or is it all just talk based on an anti-Sydney agenda?

If Queenslanders wanted Sydney fans to follow their lead and abandon their traditional teams for new franchises, instead of entering the Sydney competition, they should have started up their own national competition to take the Sydney comp on, and eventually the fans would have migrated to the superior competition. Oh wait, they did try this, and it died in the arse.

The answer is not less teams in Sydney, it is more teams elsewhere. This will lead to more income from TV rights, and more opportunities and more money for players leading to fewer disappearing to union or overseas, as well as avoiding the cutting off your nose to spite your face situation of alienating fans.

lockyrulz

Juniors
The answer is not less teams in Sydney, it is more teams elsewhere. This will lead to more income from TV rights, and more opportunities and more money for players leading to fewer disappearing to union or overseas, as well as avoiding the cutting off your nose to spite your face situation of alienating fans

Yea they ried that too remember.

It died in the arse.

Too many Sydney clubs means too few fans to make said clubs profitable. Either be proactive, or sit on your arse and wait for them to die ala cronulla, those are about your two options.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Wanker. Superleague erupted about two weeks after the 20-team comp began. It was never given the slightest chance.

Sam I Am

Juniors
I don't think he has one cutie. I think we would all like to hear it if he does. All he has contributed so far is an obvious hatred for anything south of the border. Come on Sam give us a suggestion (excluding any re-hash of the failed vision of one J Ribot).

To make a positive observation, I think that the current focus on memberships is an excellent idea to grow crowds.

Sam I Am

Juniors

Nonsense. When the BRL ceased to be a top level competition in the late 80s, you would hardly say that Brisbane people ceased to follow league. Far from it, since we now lead you guys.

Interestingly, there is competition from Union and AFL in Brisbane... and League has seen it off. Sadly, it is an AFL team that tops attendances in Sydney.