What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in dire straits in NSW as Queensland leads the way

Sam I Am

Juniors
Interestingly, I forgot to mention that the Broncos have just under $11 million in cash. Maybe the could buy the Sharks out and run them in the Queensland Cup as a reserves squad. :)

lockyrulz

Juniors
"Attitudes like yours that saw the others fail"? :lol: WTF, I'm a Bulldogs supporter, my attitude has SFA to do with mergers or culling.

I said attitudes like yours.
FTR, the Tigers took 5+ years to get properly established and to this day there are plenty of Magpie and Balmain fans who no longer care for RL. Culling teams ala Souths 1999 also has proven to be a stupid idea.

The club had 2 options, merge or go under. They took the right option and are a success as a result. Can you put a figure on how many diehard fans have been lost? Balamin and West still exist, so do they support them? If so, then whats your problem, their money still goes back to league doesn't it?

If teams fall out of their own accord or merge from their own intiative I've got no objections, but pushing teams before they fall is stupid and will cost the game more than it stands to gain.

How do you know it will cost more? I would argue the exact opposite over the long term.

How can you argue you are ok for clubs to merge or fold on their own? You just said the game cant survive the loss of sydney clubs, it either can or can't so which is it?

You can't just assume that because you feel a that an unforced fold or merge is ok, that the rest of their fan base will feel the same way, you just told me about all these Balmain and West fans that left the game.

It's a miracle the game is still here, I mean no norths, no Balmain, no Wests, no Newtown...

Yet people still pack in to watch the footy. Funny that hey..

Ziggy the God

First Grade
How much did souffs make? Was it enough to cover the annual banjo re-stringing fee?

You where caught out again sprouting bullshiate to back your rubbish argument. Either that or the closest thing you have ever got to a balance sheet is picking up your dole cheque, you brain dead moron.

So the Broncos make a profit of $1.2m, as the sole team in Brisbane.

WOW :lol::lol::lol:

Sam I Am

Juniors
You where caught out again sprouting bullshiate to back your rubbish argument. Either that or the closest thing you have ever got to a balance sheet is picking up your dole cheque, you brain dead moron.

Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy. Did you read the story? 11 million in the bank, 25 million in revenue. Not bad for any team. Certainly the envy of any amateur team down south.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
lockyrulz, you could argue the same over the long term, but if you don't take care of the short term, you put the games future at risk. I.e. the sudden massive loss of income to the game may dip revenue enough to put the NRL itself in a dangerous position.

Thinking fans will redistribute if a team fails is silly. Short term pain for long term gain doesn't always work.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy. Did you read the story? 11 million in the bank, 25 million in revenue. Not bad for any team. Certainly the envy of any amateur team down south.

All it shows is that League teams are not serious money making operations. They never have been, and never will be.

That the Broncos have the Brisbane League market cornered, and are on FTA every single week. What do you expect? A loss?

If profitability is your argument, then I guess we can pull virtually every club, including the Storm, and you can forget about any type of expansion.

That wouldn't fit your argument though would it?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You didn't say where that figure was pulled from, just checking ;-)

lockyrulz

Juniors

Well lets have a look spastic.

Brisbane has 1 team thats makes a substantial profit.

Sydney has lots of teams operating at substantial losses.

My answer is to modernise sydney so that it does make money. How is that a rubbish argument?

Your counter argument is nothing but some yokel horsesh*t. If the power of your tradition is so strong why the f**k can't you regulalry pull a decent crowd or make a profit?

If my argument was 'rubbish' you would ned to establish that sydney already makes a profit, or wont with modernaisation and you have done neither.

lockyrulz

Juniors
All it shows is that League teams are not serious money making operations. They never have been, and never will be.

That the Broncos have the Brisbane League market cornered, and are on FTA every single week. What do you expect? A loss?

If profitability is your argument, then I guess we can pull virtually every club, including the Storm, and you can forget about any type of expansion.

That wouldn't fit your argument though would it?

The storm is a long term investment. The idea is to get enough of the market so that it will make money. The same argument sits for any expansion club into non league areas.

Serious money making operations? Wake up dickhead, it isn't 1973. the game is professional, look the word up if you don't know what it means. You think your beloved stars would play for the jersey only?

Sydney clubs can't reduce the overheads involved in puttign a team in the NRL, as guys like Aostasi quite like being paid. So either find a way to make money or sit back and watch your precious suburban clubs them fall like flies.

lockyrulz

Juniors
lockyrulz, you could argue the same over the long term, but if you don't take care of the short term, you put the games future at risk. I.e. the sudden massive loss of income to the game may dip revenue enough to put the NRL itself in a dangerous position.

Thinking fans will redistribute if a team fails is silly. Short term pain for long term gain doesn't always work.

No one is advocating massive change over night.

The difference between my position and yours, is that I favour a proactive approach to maximise long term benefits.

Your position is to let clubs die, which means in reality you end up with a similar result, i.e less NRL clubs in Sydney, except it is more likely a messy mishmash that potentially redcuses long term success.

The NRL survived mergers and loss of clubs before. Don't kid yourself it wont again.

As for fans redistributing, you are making the false assumption that the fan base is static. It isn't. How old are you? Do you give a flying f**k that glebe aren't in the NRL?

Don't expect the kids running around today to really give a nutsack if South Sydney bite the dust.

Smiley

Bench
Operating and Financial Review

The Group recorded an after tax profit for the 31 December 2008 financial year of $1,238,103 compared to the $1,460,593 achieved in 2007. For comparison, the before tax profits for the 2008 and 2007 financial years were $1,838,685 and $2,163,403 respectively. For the three years prior to 2008 the Group generated profit before tax of greater than $2 million however the 2008 financial year result fell just below this figure.

Year Ended - Profit before tax
2008 - $1.84 million
2007 - $2.16 million
2006 - $2.26 million
2005 - $2.32 million
2004 - $0.99 million

The Group recorded gross revenue for the 2008 financial year of $25,620,819, which is an $844,026 increase from 2007.

The Group experienced its most successful year to date in corporate sales. Corporate suites and boxes were completely sold for each home game of the regular season. Significant growth of 12.7% was experienced in 2008 for all corporate facilities with gross revenue increasing by $403,148.

Sponsor Overview 2008 and Beyond

WOW’s upgraded partnership featured their branding on both the front of jersey along with pre-existing branding on the jersey sleeves during the 2008 season. Their existing partnership will see them through to the end of 2011 with an option to renew their current agreement.

Club sponsorship has remained strong in 2008 with many major partners secured long-term. All members of the sponsorship family remained relatively similar in 2008 with only two departing sponsors; Harvey Norman and Elite Fitness. Despite these departures, overall sponsorship revenue increased by 1.9%.

Once again the Broncos reported impressive research results, independently conducted by Repucom. The Club recorded the number one position when benchmarked across all codes (NRL, AFL, Super 14’s & A-League) for overall television ratings, with 23.45 million viewers in 2008, a 17% increase.

Findings specific to Broncos sponsors included; WOW Sight & Sound generated $6.95 million in exposure value, finishing in first position for Major Sponsor Comparison for all inventory. Toyota also finished in first position for Back Jersey Sponsor as did Nike for the Apparel Sponsor Comparison category. The annual Roy Morgan research poll also recorded the Broncos as the most supported NRL team with 1.27 million fans Australia wide.

Club sponsors shared the in unprecedented exposure value of $19.2 million, an increase of 61% from the previous year with match broadcast value also climbing a staggering 71% in 2008.

link

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBF Brisbanes finances aren't that great when you compare them to the Eagles (bboth No1 teams in a similiar sized city). Eagles have a $60million income and a $5mill profit. Brisbane should be doing better really imo.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Well lets have a look spastic.

Brisbane has 1 team thats makes a substantial profit.

Sydney has lots of teams operating at substantial losses.

My answer is to modernise sydney so that it does make money. How is that a rubbish argument?

Your counter argument is nothing but some yokel horsesh*t. If the power of your tradition is so strong why the f**k can't you regulalry pull a decent crowd or make a profit?

If my argument was 'rubbish' you would ned to establish that sydney already makes a profit, or wont with modernaisation and you have done neither.

LOL, have you worked out the difference between revenue and profit yet?

After you work that out, then come and post on here about the drivers of each, and whether dropping clubs would increase these numbers as a result. Here is a hint, go and look at the Saints and the Tigers who have merged and whether theirs are that much different to the other clubs.

Modernisation? Do you mean like where the Sydney clubs are pushing the membership angle, so that they have never been higher? Is that what you are on about? have ever been to the new Souths training base? Have you seen how much our sponsorships with NAB, Virgin and DeLonghi are worth?

In terms of crowds, maybe it has slipped your pea brain that we have played in two away games in Sydney with 30k crowds, played on Sundays. We have not had a home game on a Sunday and will not have one before Round 20. Where are the highest Sydney crowds drawn every week? You work it out.

Lets see how the Broncos go when they have a home game on a Monday night, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
No one is advocating massive change over night.

The difference between my position and yours, is that I favour a proactive approach to maximise long term benefits.

Your position is to let clubs die, which means in reality you end up with a similar result, i.e less NRL clubs in Sydney, except it is more likely a messy mishmash that potentially redcuses long term success.

The NRL survived mergers and loss of clubs before. Don't kid yourself it wont again.

As for fans redistributing, you are making the false assumption that the fan base is static. It isn't. How old are you? Do you give a flying f**k that glebe aren't in the NRL?

Don't expect the kids running around today to really give a nutsack if South Sydney bite the dust.

Ok, tell us what model you think would work, how many clubs in Sydney, and which ones should go?

lockyrulz

Juniors
Ok, tell us what model you think would work, how many clubs in Sydney, and which ones should go?

Why should I? I don't run the NRL. Do y6ou have nay ideas aside from sitting around going broke and failing?

I'd say 5 ideally, maybe 6.

First thing is for Sharks to go to adelaide and either roosters or your bunch of inept bogans to relocate to the central coast.

Sam I Am

Juniors
After you work that out, then come and post on here about the drivers of each, and whether dropping clubs would increase these numbers as a result. Here is a hint, go and look at the Saints and the Tigers who have merged and whether theirs are that much different to the other clubs.

An inappropriate comparison. It is more relevant to look at where the merged clubs are now compared to where the standalone clubs are/were. The fact that the two merged clubs have survived, whereas the four standalones would not have, speaks volumes.

Modernisation? Do you mean like where the Sydney clubs are pushing the membership angle, so that they have never been higher? Is that what you are on about? have ever been to the new Souths training base? Have you seen how much our sponsorships with NAB, Virgin and DeLonghi are worth?

I don't think that anybody denies that memberships are a great idea. I think they are great, and hope that some of the teams can make into five figures like the Broncos. Likewise, it is good to see that some clubs are working on modern training facilities. I look forward to the day when all clubs have facilities equal to those of the Broncos and Titans. :D

Lets see how the Broncos go when they have a home game on a Monday night, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

You can hold your breathe (or not) to your heart's content. Nine ultimately has first say over which teams are playing on what days. Nine clearly sees the Broncos as a very high rating proposition, hence the fact that Broncos games do not usually make it past Nine's top three pick, let alone to be shunted through to the keeper on a Monday evening. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be holding my breath until the Broncos' popularity has sunk low enough for them to get a high number of Monday night games. either. :lol:

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Why should I? I don't run the NRL. Do y6ou have nay ideas aside from sitting around going broke and failing?

I'd say 5 ideally, maybe 6.

First thing is for Sharks to go to adelaide and either roosters or your bunch of inept bogans to relocate to the central coast.

That is not enough to get to your figure.
Maths isn't your strong point is it mate?

Well there are 9 clubs, so to get to 6 cull 3, to get to 5 cull 4:

Bulldogs
Dragons
Eels
Panthers
Rabbitohs (CC)
Roosters
Sea Eagles
Sharks (Adelaide)
Tigers

So the Sharks are moving to Adelaide, and we are moving to the CC.
You meed to give us at least one more, preferably two.

Latest posts