What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in dire straits in NSW as Queensland leads the way

bobmar28

Bench
So are the games in Queensland packed to the rafters?

Could of fooled me when I went up to watch the Titans.

Titans get bigger crowds than most Sydney clubs even though they are based in a city that is a 10th the size of Sydney.

The simple fact is 9 teams in one city is too many. That is the only reason we are forced to watch images of near empty stadiums like the Eels game.

Last edited:

Sam I Am

Juniors
2008 Totals
NSW/ACT attendance: 1,801,137
QLD attendance: 877,757
VIC attendance: 149,686
NZ attendance: 137,325

2009 Totals so far
NSW/ACT attendance: 827,958
QLD attendance: 419,690
VIC attendance: 51,878
NZ attendance: 96,680

Yep, RL is in dire straits when NSW crowd totals double QLD's...

Wow. Three times the number of clubs, but only twice the crowds. Great effort! :roll:

Sam I Am

Juniors
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make though - QLD's averages are so high because they have less chances to see footy. If they had more games... perhaps as many as Sydney, crowds would be lower, but aggregates higher. Simple maths. But I'm sure QLDers will protest that point too :roll:

Actually, it's not maths. You're making a prediction. Use of a crystal ball isn't the most scientific process known to man... or boy.

Sam I Am

Juniors
The reason I present those figures is because people think it's the "in thing" to just rubbish crowds in NSW despite any number of factors. People say there's "no excuses" yet when a QLD crowd is criticised the lines are all trotted out.

I think we should enjoy the fact that by and large there's been an increase on most club home averages over the past 5-10 years. The membership drive is aiming to grow that over the coming years in much the same way AFL did 20 years ago.

No, NSW crowds are rubbished when they are rubbish. 7000 is bad no matter what the circumstances.

Sam I Am

Juniors
I just took my 4 year old to his first game the other week against the Tigers. You know, where 30,000 turned up. He is the next generation of Souths fan, of which there are many. In fact just short of 15,000 are now financial members. Give us another two years, we will be punching through 20,000.

For all of the bagging of Souths (and when 3000 + ground staff turn up I bag them too) they are one Sydney club that has made a genuine effort to broaden their support base, increase membership, increase awareness and increase crowds.

On the whole, I can't fault them for that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So your plan Sam, is to what... cut some Sydney teams? That happened in 1999, look where that got us...

Alienating entire fanbases = bad idea. Why can't you see that?

kbw

Bench
When are people going to realise, the game doesn't need expansion it doesn't need anything except a huge reality check.
The costs to run an NRL team need to be reduced. The players are getting paid too much.
The market for RL is not that big, while being a truly great game, people that are not into it are just not interested.

NSW mangement and selectors need to grow some balls. For too many years they have kept relying on old hacks selected and worked on reputation rather than ticker and ability.

Had they worked a similar philosophy that QLD had been forced into then things would be alot differrent

lockyrulz

Juniors
So your plan Sam, is to what... cut some Sydney teams? That happened in 1999, look where that got us...

Alienating entire fanbases = bad idea. Why can't you see that?

West Tigers are doing just fine last time I looked. Perfect example of a merger done the right way and leading to success. It's attitudes like yours that saw the others fail.

Your super league has been proven wrong argument is ridiculous as well. It went for 1 year and came in at a time with a split comp, of course it was going to fail.

Whats your solution? Sit on your arse and do nothing until clubs go broke? Drag the rest of the comp down by decreasing the salary cap so we can retain a ludicrous amount of Sydney clubs, yea wont the ESL and rugby love us for that..

Wake up and smell the coffee ffs. The game has survived the loss of clubs before and will again. Make the hard calls now and yes you may lose some fans temporarily but they will be replaced. Only this time the surviving clubs will eventually enjoy larger fan bases and greater profits.

Besides the clubs don't disappear, they just play where they should play, in the NSWRL, where they have virtually always played. No one complained when they did that for a 100 years.

lockyrulz

Juniors
When are people going to realise, the game doesn't need expansion it doesn't need anything except a huge reality check.
The costs to run an NRL team need to be reduced. The players are getting paid too much.
The market for RL is not that big, while being a truly great game, people that are not into it are just not interested.

NSW mangement and selectors need to grow some balls. For too many years they have kept relying on old hacks selected and worked on reputation rather than ticker and ability.

Had they worked a similar philosophy that QLD had been forced into then things would be alot differrent

The broncos make profits in the 20 million mark. I don't think they have too much trouble covering their costs do you?

All Queensland clubs do fine, because the amount of clubs is proportionate to the population and level of support.

As soon as Sydney works this out, they will be just as successful.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"Attitudes like yours that saw the others fail"? :lol: WTF, I'm a Bulldogs supporter, my attitude has SFA to do with mergers or culling.

FTR, the Tigers took 5+ years to get properly established and to this day there are plenty of Magpie and Balmain fans who no longer care for RL. Culling teams ala Souths 1999 also has proven to be a stupid idea.

If teams fall out of their own accord or merge from their own intiative I've got no objections, but pushing teams before they fall is stupid and will cost the game more than it stands to gain.

Sam I Am

Juniors
"Attitudes like yours that saw the others fail"? :lol: WTF, I'm a Bulldogs supporter, my attitude has SFA to do with mergers or culling.

Your attitude has everything to do with it since you have repeatedly expressed the opinion that no team should be culled.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
The broncos make profits in the 20 million mark. I don't think they have too much trouble covering their costs do you?

All Queensland clubs do fine, because the amount of clubs is proportionate to the population and level of support.

As soon as Sydney works this out, they will be just as successful.

Brisbane Broncos Ltd net profit was down 20% to $1.2 million in the year to December 31, 2008

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...ane-Broncos-profit-down-20-PMG8J?OpenDocument

Sam I Am

Juniors
Brisbane Broncos Ltd net profit was down 20% to $1.2 million in the year to December 31, 2008

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...ane-Broncos-profit-down-20-PMG8J?OpenDocument

I am sure that what he meant to say is that Broncos revenues are around $20 million, not profits.

From the article:

Brisbane Broncos Ltd net profit was down 20% to $1.2 million in the year to December 31, 2008 on revenue up 3.2% to $25.6 million.

The rugby league football club attributed increased revenue to continued growth in corporate and season membership sales, increased crowd attendances, and additional sponsorship revenue. Significant growth of 12.7% was experienced in 2008 for all corporate facilities. Total operating expenses increased by $1.2 million due to an increase in football related expenditure as a result of the costs associated with the operation of the National Youth Competition introduced in the 2008 season.

So as the article points out, the Broncos figures are up across the board, but expenses increased due to the introduction of the Under-20 competition.