What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in Sydney's ethnic communities

Anyone who lives or has spent some time in Sydney knows it's quite ethnically diverse. So, which ethnic groups have embraced league, and which ones haven't, and why?
I know there are big Vietnamese and Filipino communities out west - do they play the game much, or is it a bit too rough for them? and Chinese - they're all over Sydney

Angry_eel

First Grade
lebanese-Yes(as long as they bash up people)
Viets- Don't know, i don't live in the southwest
fillos- yes sortof divided between basketball and league
chinese- don't think so
samoans, tongans and maoris-yes very much so and the proof is in the teams.

The Tank

Bench
well i guess it depends...i've got a few mates who support league... a chilean (panthers), chinese (raiders), korean (roosters), aussie (bulldogs), and lebanese (bulldogs).

as for communities..i'm not sure

BWNB

First Grade
I know Greek and Chinese people who support the sharks and i also know that the lebanese support the bulldogs but i dont know any of them.

Choppies

Coach
I know Lebanese (Muslim and Christian), Indian, Korean, Chinese, Italian, Aussie and Greeks.
These are just some of the Roosters supporters I know.

Miss_Eels

Juniors
i also know that the lebanese support the bulldogs
Lebanese -Yes(as long as they bash up people)

Wow, what broad and disgusting generalisations.
I can guarantee that not all lebanese support the Bulldogs and not all lebanese like to bash people. The sooner most people can get these stereotypes out of their heads then the better the society we live in will be...

Miss_Eels said:
I can guarantee that not all lebanese support the Bulldogs and not all lebanese like to bash people. The sooner most people can get these stereotypes out of their heads then the better the society we live in will be...

Yeah word brah judge with your heart not with your eyes numsayin :thumb:

sharkadelic

Juniors
Miss_Eels said:

No. Society will be better when we start arresting the pieces of vermin that go round bashing people indiscriminately.

Stan Fields: What is the one most important thing our society needs?
Gracie Hart: That would be... harsher punishment for parole violators, Stan.
[crowd is silent]
Gracie Hart: And world peace!
[crowd cheers ecstatically]

An41

Juniors
it just depends on where they are from and who they hang with?

Like me Australian born living in the eastern suburbs,Matraville Primary and South Sydney high always had Aussie friends and loved league.

in a pack of lets say 10 Asian kids living south west maybe 2/10 will support league.

the lebanese love bulldogs and i played football against alot of teams who where all lebanesse and they cant handle it when we flogged them they always started brawls when we would be 40 in front.
the Islanders go for a whole variety of teams and i know they love the warriors,
They are competitive and will give 100% all the time.
Westy's love Penrith and Parra.
Snobs love Manly.Italians love the tigers.
The magority of people I know like these teams.

JF_Henson_Hill

Juniors
Miss_Eels said:

There are a lot of Christian Lebanese in the the Northmead area. Not surprisingly a lot of these people support the Eels.

I know as well that there are a lot of Christian Lebanese as well as Greeks & (FYROM) Macedonians in the Rockdale Hurstville & Brighton-Le Sands. It is therefore no surprise that they are often on the hill at Kogarah with their banners & flags. I recall succintly that when there was a multicultural day at Belmore several giant Greek flags were waved in the hill after Doggies tries.

Probably the most successful ethnic group involved with rugby league are Pacific Islanders. Naturally many of them have played the game or at least have been exposed to the game either in their homelands or (more than likely in New Zealand).

JF

Raider_69

Post Whore
canberra get alot of westie support here in penrith
id say we are 3rd behind penrith and parra for most support

i only know one lebenese fella who isnt a dogs fan, all the other lebanese i know are dogs fans, i assume the majority of league loving lebeneese people are dogs fans

Ive also noticed the tigers have a healthy greek contingent

MattJ

Juniors
I know a few middle eastern blokes that are souths supporters, i wont generalise and say there lebanese coz im not sure, a few italians and greeks as well.