What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in Sydney's ethnic communities

ali

Bench
Well obviously the Lebanese at the Dogs are the biggest success. From what I've seen all the inner city clubs have a fairly multicultural supporter base. The biggest disappointment IMO is St George. When comparing the main street of Hurstville to a crowd at a Saints game, it makes me wonder what their marketing department is doing. Where are all the Chinese?

In terms of Asian supporters, the most I've seen would be at Roosters games and then the Dogs.

I've got a couple of Asian mates who are Aus born and massive RL fans. I've another who came out here for uni from Hong Kong, and is right into it. But doesn't go to games, just loves a punt.

Parrasque

Juniors
lebanese are split between the dogs and the eels..

generally the muslim lebanese follow the dogs, while the catholics follow the eels

ouwet

Bench
Parrasque said:

generally the muslim lebanese follow the dogs, while the catholics follow the eels

Not true... I know heaps of Lebaense people who go for Eels and Dragons as well as other teams... And a lot of them are Muslims! I'm Christian and all the people i go footy with are Christian Lebanese and we go for the DOgs!!

drake

First Grade
An41 said:
it just depends on where they are from and who they hang with?

Like me Australian born living in the eastern suburbs,Matraville Primary and South Sydney high always had Aussie friends and loved league.

in a pack of lets say 10 Asian kids living south west maybe 2/10 will support league.

Most of that area is dyed in the wool Souths (No brainer at South Sydney High, bloody green shirts). My school was a bad place to follow St George. Well, it was just a bad place.

Strangely enough, a lot of the guys I grew up with followed teams based on colours that corresponded to the colours on their flag; or for religious reasons.
e.g all the greeks I knew followed canterbury (marginally)
The Italians followed Souths
Maltese and Catholic Lebanese followed Saints because of the Saint factor.
Macedonians originally settled in the Kogarah\Rockdale region and followed St George as well.

eelandia

Juniors
Miss_Eels said:
Wow, what broad and disgusting generalisations.
I can guarantee that not all lebanese support the Bulldogs and not all lebanese like to bash people. The sooner most people can get these stereotypes out of their heads then the better the society we live in will be...

Don't worry...it is brainless twits like this that were SMS-encouraged to participate in the Cronulla riots...thank goodness they "keep to their own" at the Wall.

Sharkie™

Juniors
the maltese community have embraced league, nearly all maltese people i know love league and i should know cause i am of maltese decent...

drake

First Grade
ShArKsMaN said:
the maltese community have embraced league, nearly all maltese people i know love league and i should know cause i am of maltese decent...
The Maltese Australian and Lebanese Australian communities have probably taken league to heart with the most passion IMHO.

Most European families in my experience still have a stigma against all non futbol football sports.

An41

Juniors
drake said:
Most of that area is dyed in the wool Souths (No brainer at South Sydney High, bloody green shirts). My school was a bad place to follow St George. Well, it was just a bad place.

nah the school was mostly roosters bangwagon jumpers.
and hey those bottle green shirts were cool

supersoniceagle

Juniors
Armenians (if anyone knows who we are) are starting to get pretty involved with rugby league. Manly and St George would be the most supported teams

parra73

Juniors
Parrasque said:

evenly split if you ask me, by the way i live smack bang in the middle of the canterbury- bankstown area can you imagine the evil looks i get wearing an eels jersey!!

bluenwhite

Juniors
Miss_Eels said:
I can guarantee that not all lebanese support the Bulldogs and not all lebanese like to bash people. The sooner most people can get these stereotypes out of their heads then the better the society we live in will be...
lol, so true. on a lebanese radio station survey it showed that most of them supported the bulldogs, tigers and dragons with parra close behind. (then again this radio station targets lebanese christians)

bluenwhite

Juniors
Parrasque said:

not quite, yes, most muslim lebanese probably follow the dogs but there are a lot of us lebanese christians that follow the dogs too, and the second largest lebanese-fanbase team is the dragons not the eels.

parra73

Juniors
bluenwhite said:
not quite, yes, most muslim lebanese probably follow the dogs but there are a lot of us lebanese christians that follow the dogs too, and the second largest lebanese-fanbase team is the dragons not the eels.
interesting to see if they could do a survey & find out who supports who.

bluenwhite

Juniors
they did do a survey on a lebanese radio station as i mentioned, but then again that radio station mainly targets the christian-lebanese-australian community.

parra73

Juniors
bluenwhite said:
they did do a survey on a lebanese radio station as i mentioned, but then again that radio station mainly targets the christian-lebanese-australian community.

they should do another from all the arab radio stations, instead of targeting one particular group, i reckon

Angry_eel

First Grade
Miss_Eels said:

well yes i know that. i met a fair few middle eastern parra supporters at the finals game against manly last season.

Latest posts