What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live 3

Parra Pride

Coach
No release date that I've seen, last thing they announced was winning a chance to play the game early in Sydney.

saints4ever

First Grade
No release date
No trailer
No game play footage
Latest update today was a sudden death addition to the goal kicking drill and you get to create a ref (why bother?) and create a league.
Still can't use the running or tackling drills

MattYg1

Bench
No release date
No trailer
No game play footage
Latest update today was a sudden death addition to the goal kicking drill and you get to create a ref (why bother?) and create a league.
Still can't use the running or tackling drills

Hmmmm... create a ref
Pathetic...

RoosTah

Juniors
Nothing over there that I posted was even intended as bait, it was me simply stating my honest opinion that the RLL games have a long way to go to even be compared to what 2K and EA produce. That somehow managed to hook the head of the bloody studio.

Well to be fair that's not strictly speaking true...

EA Rugby 2004 was the worst sports game in history - even worse than Rugby 15, where as Sidhe's simply titled "Rugby League" was half decent.

Comparisons with EA FIFA or Madden aren't really reasonable; you have economies of scale at play that just mean it's no contest as soccer and NFL titles generate literally hundreds of times the revenue that a League game can, and so the investment in them is vastly larger.

It's like comparing an Avengers movie with a niche Aussie film made by independent studios.

People keep saying they wish 2K or EA would "make" a Rugby Union or League game, but the fact is EA never used any of their big devs to do it when they were making rugby titles, and their efforts were therefore generally pretty half arsed and piss poor... indeed, Rugby League Live 2 shits on pretty well all the old EA Rugby titles in terms of playability (obviously in graphics too, but given the gens are different that's kind of a given).

So in effect, what people are asking for is for these massive and profit driven companies to knowingly make games for NRL fans at a loss, which they just ain't gonna do... if they do jump on board, they'll do it on a shoe-string budget with some unknown dev in North America that probably doesn't even know the rules of the game.

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
Haha.

I reckon.

Thanking a company for developing a game that was going to be released regardless on the developer. Trublu funded the project and they must have made some money from the previous games to warrant this release.

Hopefully it won't be another stinker..

I'll thank you guys by not returning this one..

It's a bit pathetic really, but all the same being spiteful and cynical is little better.

Worth remembering we're fans of a bloody niche and tiny sport - getting any video game at all is a bit of a win considering how little money the games make.

As a sport, we're not about to overcome the problem of our miniscule scale, so my argument has always been we need the NRL to actively fund a high quality video game series and just accept it'll be making a bit of a loss on them.

Have them invest a solid $20-30 million on a title and outsource it to a well recognised developer and consider it an investment in advertising. I've read a couple articles that link the popularity of soccer in the US with the EA FIFA games

Last edited:

strong_latte

Juniors
Well to be fair that's not strictly speaking true...

EA Rugby 2004 was the worst sports game in history - even worse than Rugby 15, where as Sidhe's simply titled "Rugby League" was half decent.

Comparisons with EA FIFA or Madden aren't really reasonable; you have economies of scale at play that just mean it's no contest as soccer and NFL titles generate literally hundreds of times the revenue that a League game can, and so the investment in them is vastly larger.

Yeah, some of those early EA Rugby titles were seriously worse than shit... They got better by the time they got to Rugby 06 and 08, but even then they were still really well below the standard you'd expect from an EA branded sports title.

It'd be great to see them do League or Union with one of their best developers, but they'd never do it.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Well a new week and still nothing. Allegedy a month out from release. So far we have nil gameplay footage or actual PR for the game.

Ill assume the game is not coming out in September. Looking forward to seeing what Madden can dish out this year.

Parra Pride

Coach
For a game that I'm guessing doesn't make enough money as it is, getting it out so late in the year isn't going to work well when all the big titles will be dropping.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
It is very likely this is just for the sake of the drill but I hope the passing drill isn't some sort of indication of how they've solved the intercept/crazy useless A.I issues by just making the entire game some sort of on rails Soccer table style setup. That would be very lazy.

it does FEEL better though so cautiously optimistic.

Parra Pride

Coach
The holidays are when all the biggest games will be dropping, for the casual fan who doesn't even know this exists (and who could blame them with the terrible marketing for the game) it's just going to get lost behind the AAA titles.

Latest posts