What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League on Twitter

nko11

Juniors
Rugby League and specifically the NRL has a large following on twitter. Many fans spanning across many teams converge to discuss each game. Unfortunately There is no set #tag for each game meaning most tweets either don't use any #tag or use the old worn out #NRL tag.

If you sign into twitter during the weekend you will see in the Australian trends many AFL games trending. They use the system effectively and the AFL promote it extremely well. Unfortunately the NRL does not do the same. I have been in contact with the NRL about this, despite getting a reply they still have failed to organize anything.

It will give a live forum(esque) type experience and will get Rugby League up in the trending topics where it belongs. I ask anyone who is on twitter to use #tags like these: #NRLDogsRedV, #NRLPenBris and #NRLCowsEels. De-constructed they are basically the Name NRL->Home team->Away team.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
That is exactly the way it should be done and the NRL twitter profile should announce all of them in advance of the round.

Ryan_N

Juniors
#RugbyLeague and that way there's even more chance of it trending because it's not just for individual matches but the game in general, English fans use it for Super League and others for different things going on around the world. Could even trend Worldwide one day.

EDIT: Yeah, you're right I've seen AFL do it heaps and get in the trending section.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As suggested on Twitter NKO, they need to be short and sharp. AFL uses #aflpiesdons rather than #aflcollingwoodessendon or #aflmagpiesbombers... it's about condensing it and making it easy to type for fans.

I'll do what I can using LU's twitter to promote the use of such tags as I showed you on Twitter.

Your point is 100% right though, the NRL and it's clubs have been much slower at properly utilising social media.

Timmah

Staff member
#RugbyLeague and that way there's even more chance of it trending because it's not just for individual matches but the game in general, English fans use it for Super League and others for different things going on around the world. Could even trend Worldwide one day.

EDIT: Yeah, you're right I've seen AFL do it heaps and get in the trending section.
Ryan, unfortunately the way the Twitter API has been constructed means that longterm ongoing hashtags like #rugbyleague (and #NRL, which is used en masse by most RL twitterers and businesses/clubs) don't get into the trending area. If I recall correctly they did it when Justin Bieber fans deliberately manipulated the system to keep Bieber-related topics in the top trends all the time.

nko11

Juniors
Tags for this weeks games: #nrldogsredv #nrlpenbris #nrlmelcanb #nrlsoutigs #nrlcowseels #nrlnewcwarr #nrlcronsyd #nrlgoldmanly.

Timmah

Staff member
Last Monday's game would've been tops.

#nrlmancan

applesauce

Bench
3 reasons why the AFL trends:

1. Uniform hashtags.
2. Goes for 3hours.
3. Score a million more times than us.

Timmah

Staff member
Noone suggested "tit" would actually be used for the Titans...

Paullyboy

Coach
I still don't understand the attraction of twitter. I'm not against social media by any means, but twitter is just too messy for me.

Obviously there are plenty that disagree, and good luck to them, but much like the TV show Glee - I'll just never understand what people see in it.

Timmah

Staff member
#redv is used by the Dragons and their fans and has been for a long time.

Timmah

Staff member
I still don't understand the attraction of twitter. I'm not against social media by any means, but twitter is just too messy for me.

Each to their own, not everyone will join Twitter or understand it.

For LU, it's a quick and easy way to directly reach people following our account with breaking news, links to articles, scores, live updates etc.

After a few months we've already got 1,100 followers, we're pretty happy with how it assists generating hits for the site itself.

Latest posts