What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Scouting - how far and wide does it go?

Every rugby league club has talent scouts, and player agents act as talent scouts also.
So just how far and wide do we look for talent? We are now scouting heavily in NZ, but do we go to places like Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG or maybe even South Africa?

innsaneink

Referee
Sheens grabbed a couple of Russians from 04's sevens tournament, they hung around for about 6 months training, developing...I dont think they were seriously going to amount to anything ever, but I suppose Sheens thought they may have been a long shot.
They wouldve taken a lot of knowledge back with them.

Jarrod Saffy is a Sth African Sheens picked up and is currently one of Balmain/Rydes best.....may not be too far off a 1st grade start.

The Preacher

First Grade
I lived in Arnhem Land for 5 1/2 years and we had scouts come up and check out the local talent before they'd go over to Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs. If they don't travel, they'll have someone situated near certain comps to give them regular tips and reports.

Johns Magic

Referee
innsaneink said:
Jarrod Saffy is a Sth African Sheens picked up and is currently one of Balmain/Rydes best.....may not be too far off a 1st grade start.

I was having a chat to Jarrod a few weeks back at a 21st, and whilst he is South African, he did board at St. Josephs College in Sydney, where he played in the 1st XV. Hunters Hill isn't exactly that far.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
The Money Box Man said:
Every rugby league club has talent scouts, and player agents act as talent scouts also.
So just how far and wide do we look for talent? We are now scouting heavily in NZ, but do we go to places like Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG or maybe even South Africa?

Tim sheens has been scouting far and wide since the early 90s. He brought over Ruben wiki and noa nadruku on his own.

Latest posts