What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League TV coverage before 1998

Paulie Jay

Juniors
I remember that she ended up doing afternoons on Triple J as a non-sports DJ in the mid 1990s. I think she was also promotions manager at Canterbury for a few years too.

Green Machine

First Grade
I remember Brutus, David Fordham pairing off with Billy J Smith and David Wright (currently with ABC) to call Brisbane and Gold Coast matches, and of course Origin games, mainly for Queensland audiences.

I seem to recall they did Broncos and Gold Coast games, even though Ch 10 in NSW were doing another match. Here's a match from 1991 with David calling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV4gTaVPF3U

I think this match was shown in NSW but late of night on the Sunday.

Same thing happened when Ch 9 got the rights. After Ch 10 lost the rights to Ch 9, Billy J Smith moved to 9 and paired off with Alan Thomas (now a racecaller in Brisbane).

Correct if I'm wrong but NBN also started it in 1992, covering Knights matches mainly for Newcastle audience, and these games were also shown late at night (11.30 or midnight) in Sydney.

Although in 1992 and 1993 there was the occassional game on Saturday night in Gold Coast which was shown both NSW and Queensland, with Big Daz (Darryl Eastlake) calling with Gene Miles.

One game I remember was Wally Lewis' last game, Gold Coast and Penrith in 1992.

Another one, Gold Coast and Newcastle in 1993, which was the Seagulls' only victory that year, and was Andrew Johns' first grade debut.

In 1992, TV aggregation was introduced to Northern NSW (Hunter, Mid North Coast, North Coast, New England and North West). NBN started broadcasting exclusive Channel 9 product to Northern NSW. Being in the north of the state on the odd occasion, I think I remember Knights games being replayed a Monday night with Mike Rabbit calling them. When TV aggregation came to the South and West of the state in 1989, Capital TV (Channel 10) did a few Saturday night games for the Steelers and the Raiders. In 1992, when Channel took over the Winfield Cup, WIN did the odd Steelers and Raiders Saturday night games,

Green Machine

First Grade
His first starting game.

He came off the bench against the Gold Coast, while either Hagan or Rodwell were halfback for Newcastle.

Yeah Pauly Jay, I remember ABC's coverage in the 1990s with Boland and Beetson. I think John Peard was also a sideline commentator for ABC.

I think since 1991 or 1992, Warren Boland was the main caller, wheras before that David Morrow was mainly calling with Boland on the sideline.

You mentioned Spillane, she was pretty good with her Rugby League comments. After ABC stopped calling games, I think she continued writing for Big League. Anyone know what she's up to these days?
I was watching a replay of the 1989 Grand Final on Foxsports the other day and David Morrow was the caller with Warren Boland and John Peard (on the sideline). David took over from Jim Maxwell in 1987. I think Mike Stephenson and Neil Hanson were on the call back then. David got recruited to Channel 10 sometime in 1990 and is part of the Kangaroo Tour commentary with Graeme Hughes. I think Artie came onto the call when David moved on from the ABC,

Norths Tiger

Juniors
I remember that she ended up doing afternoons on Triple J as a non-sports DJ in the mid 1990s. I think she was also promotions manager at Canterbury for a few years too.

Check out Newsradio (630AM) on a Sunday morning (9-10am or so). Can't remember the name, but a really good sports wrap-up.

undertaker

Coach
Before I reply to some of the posts in this thread, something I recall to mind that I hadn't thought about for a long time and need some verification on this...

Long before the Ch9 2 Friday night games/round format began in 2007, I remember back in 1998 (round 4) as a one-off, Ch9 televised 2 Friday night games into NSW that night:

http://afltables.com/rl/seas/1998.html#4

IIRC, Manly vs Parramatta was televised at 8:30pm (1hr delay) followed by the replay of Melbourne vs Norths at 10:30pm. Storm vs Norths was live on Fox at 7:30pm, but Ch9 replayed the Fox broadcast/commentary 3hrs later. It struck me as odd that Ch9 did a Friday night double header that round. The only reason I can think of why this happened is because it was the Storm's first home game (infront of a jam-packed Olympic Park of 20k). Some highlights from that game can be seen in this Marcus Bai try compilation video, and you will notice the Ch9 logo in the top right despite using the Fox on-screen graphics and commentary:

It's interesting to note back then, the live Fox match went head-to-head with Ch9's 8:30pm Friday night game; something that would never happen today, as the NRL has this obsession with not wanting to schedule matches that kick-off at the same time or overlap.

I remember reading in the newspapers at the time that Melbourne vs Norths game rated very well on Ch9 despite the late 10:30pm timeslot. Back in 1995/96/98 when the comp was 20 teams, 2-3 Friday night games/round were common but only one was televised into Sydney.

In Rd 9 1998, there were a staggering FOUR Friday night games - the most since Friday night games began back in the '80s:

http://afltables.com/rl/seas/1998.html#9

undertaker

Coach
Who can remember TV coverage of rugby league before 1998 ?

For people who lived in the Hunter region such as myself, from what I remember at the time:

1996: 3 Ch9 games shown on NBN, Ch9 affiliate: Friday night at 8:30pm (1hr delay), Saturday afternoon at 4pm (1 1/2hr delay) and Sunday evening at 6:30pm. Sunday evening was only 1hr highlights (about 43mins excluding commercials) for the first 13 rounds, replaced by Monday night football from Round 14.

If the Newcastle Knights weren't televised on Ch9 that round, we got a 4th game: Knights home games on Sunday were replayed later that night at 11:30pm (with either NBN or Optus Vision calling the game) and Saturday night games were replayed at about 9:30pm.

Another interesting point: I remember Canterbury vs Gold Coast Chargers was shown on NBN one Sunday arvo at 4pm with Mike Rabbitt calling. Not 100% sure if NBN regularly covered other Chargers games (or even when they were the Seagulls back in 1995, as the Seagulls/Chargers - like the Knights - were also sponsored by NBN during the mid-'90s), maybe someone can verify this.

When was the Sunday night 43 minute game farce?

It was stopped after Rd 13 1996 due to poor ratings. Rd 13 Brisbane vs Parramatta was the last 43 minute highlights package Ch9 Sydney did on Sunday evening before it was dropped in favour of Monday night football. However, the folk up in SE-QLD still got RL coverage on Sundays when Brisbane or South Queensland Crushers played at home (I recently stumbled upon highlights of Broncos vs Gold Coast Chargers and Crushers vs Wests Magpies on another website, both with Andrew Voss calling).

1997: 3 games on Ch9 shown on NBN: Friday night ARL at 9:30pm (2hr delay), Saturday afternoon ARL at 4pm (1hr delay) and Monday night SL or World Club Challenge game at 9:30pm (2hr delay).

Knights away Saturday night games were replayed on NBN at 8:30pm (1hr delay), home Sunday games were replayed at 11:30pm and away Sunday games were at 4pm (1hr delay). All of these non-Ch9 games were with either NBN or Optus commentary.

In addition, ABC had a Super League show at 5pm, hosted by Debbie Spillaine. In the beginning, they just took a replay of the Fox Sports telecast before later on deciding to do their own commentary (pretty sure David Morrow was the caller). During the middle of the SL Season was the famous, ill-fated World Club Challenge, and this was the first time us FTA folk without PayTV got to hear Eddie and Stevo from the UK. World Club Challenge game of the round in the UK was replayed, as well as the odd match from the English Super League.

Finals that year were very interesting. Ch9 did BOTH SL and ARL finals. ARL Saturday/Sunday arvo finals were shown at 5:30pm (2 1/2hr delay), which was a nail-biter during the preliminary finals as both Knights/Bears and Sea Eagles/Roosters matches went right down to the wire, with full-time on tv not occurring until close to 7:30pm. SL finals were on Sat night/Monday night. Both GFs were live.

OT, interesting to note that during 1998-2001, NBN showed non-Ch9 Knights away games on Sunday LIVE . This happened about 2-3 times per year during that period. So, we were lucky to watch 2 games on Sunday afternoon: Knights away game live at 2:30pm (during 1998-2000)/2pm (in 2001) followed by the Ch9 match. As the 2:30pm game finished at about 4:10-15pm, we'd miss the first few minutes of the Ch9 game and any tries scored were briefly replayed before picking up the Ch9 telecast around the 5-10min mark of the game. The only one that wasn't shown was the infamous '99 Bulldogs vs Knights game (Greg Smith's only NRL game) as there were contractual disputes with NBN using Fox/Optus' coverage. Besides the short highlights on the news that night, still haven't seen a replay of that game to this day.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I was watching a replay of the 1989 Grand Final on Foxsports the other day and David Morrow was the caller with Warren Boland and John Peard (on the sideline).

Interesting to see Fox Sports replay that 1989 GF the other night, but with the Brisbane commentary: Billy J Smith, David Fordham and David Wright. Wasn't aware that Brisbane/QLD viewers had their own commentary. I assume this was also the case for Origin matches as well.

Also, wasn't aware that ABC broadcasted the 1995 GF (with Warren Boland commentating) along with Ch9. I'm aware ABC used to televise Saturday arvo finals matches, but not the GF.

In 1992, TV aggregation was introduced to Northern NSW (Hunter, Mid North Coast, North Coast, New England and North West). NBN started broadcasting exclusive Channel 9 product to Northern NSW. Being in the north of the state on the odd occasion, I think I remember Knights games being replayed a Monday night with Mike Rabbit calling them. When TV aggregation came to the South and West of the state in 1989, Capital TV (Channel 10) did a few Saturday night games for the Steelers and the Raiders. In 1992, when Channel took over the Winfield Cup, WIN did the odd Steelers and Raiders Saturday night games,

Yep, from what I have seen on the internet (as this was 3-4yrs before I started following the Knights), NBN covered home Knights matches from '92 and regular away games from '94. From '98 onwards, NBN took the Fox/Optus coverage most of the time (excluding '99 when NBN was forced to provide their own commentary/cameras after the Homebush double header due to contractual disputes with Optus/Fox. NBN went back to using Fox/Optus coverage at the beginning of 2000 as the situation the previous year became too expensive). Rd 4 2003 vs Melbourne was the last game that NBN showed before their agreement with Fox was terminated as I assume by that stage, Fox subscription base had grown and they wanted too much money from NBN to continue using their coverage for Knights games.

I always wondered whether you guys in Canberra had Raiders matches covered. I have stumbled upon some clips and maybe you might know who this caller is:

Also, have heard Rex Mossop call some Raiders matches:

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Anyone remember Channel 9 broadcasting SUper League games in 1997? Kind of sh*tty IMO.

Yes, remember the AC/DC song that Ch9 used to promote their MNF game in 1997. The novelty of MNF had worn off well into season 1997 (compared to the success in the second half of '96). Having the game on at 9:30pm instead of 8:30pm didn't help. But yes, it was an irony that Ch9 broadcasted SL matches in the end.

Only highlight from the Super League season was the famous Tri-Series final (SL's repsonse to State of Origin, as they didn't have the rights to Origin) that went for a record 104 minutes. However, QLD should consider themselves lucky to have been there in the final: NZ had a fair-try disallowed by Steve Clark right on full-time a few days earlier vs NSW, and thus denied a conversion attempt to qualify for the final at the expense of QLD on for-and-against. NSW vs NZ final at QE II Stadium would've been a PR disaster.

Can anyone recall circa 2000 Channel 9 dabbling in showing a few saturday night fixtures, like at 8.30? Or did i just imagine this:?

Yes, as 2000/2001 seasons kicked off during February and it was still hot and humid, Ch9 did live Saturday night games in place of their Sunday game.

Both games in the round 1 Homebush double headers were live at 6:30 and 8:30. Ch9 then covered a live Saturday night game at 6:30pm during rds 2-6 of 2000 and a live Saturday night game at 7:30pm during rds 2-5 of 2001, before replacing it with their delayed Sunday game at 4pm.

Ch9 also did a one-off Saturday night game at 8:30pm (1hr delay) in 1998 (round 15) between Parramatta vs Norths.

Although in 1992 and 1993 there was the occassional game on Saturday night in Gold Coast which was shown both NSW and Queensland, with Big Daz (Darryl Eastlake) calling with Gene Miles.

One game I remember was Wally Lewis' last game, Gold Coast and Penrith in 1992.

Another one, Gold Coast and Newcastle in 1993, which was the Seagulls' only victory that year, and was Andrew Johns' first grade debut.

Matua

Bench
In NZ Sky played every game throughout the 90s. I assume they had some deal where they bought the games off the ARL rather than individual broadcasters.

kdalymc

Bench
I remember in 95-96 I lived in Stanthorpe and on Saturday nights we used to get 1 hour games, usually always the new shit teams. Cowboys crushers etc. and Chris Bombalus was the commentator. Yuk

Stewbum

Juniors
Early in the season on Saturdays during the 1980s you'd have two Qld State League games from Lang Park. The first would include a country side. I remember Wide Bay were terrible. The main game was always two Brisbane clubs. I think it might have been channel 10 but couldn't swear to it.

undertaker

Coach
In NZ Sky played every game throughout the 90s. I assume they had some deal where they bought the games off the ARL rather than individual broadcasters.

Did TVNZ (FTA station over there) also broadcast RL matches during the early years of the Warriors? I've seen a couple of clips on the internet of Greg Clark calling Wests vs Auckland and Illawarra vs Auckland from 1996. Also, I'm assuming Sky showed matches live back then and you also got the full game of the Ch9 Sunday '1hr edited' highlights, right?

Up to the end of 1995, it's amazing to think even non-RL places like Adelaide and Perth got the Ch9 Sunday game live and in full, whereas the folk in NSW/QLD only got 1hr highlights at 6:30pm.

undertaker

Coach
I remember in 95-96 I lived in Stanthorpe and on Saturday nights we used to get 1 hour games, usually always the new shit teams. Cowboys crushers etc. and Chris Bombalus was the commentator. Yuk

Chris Bombalas was sideline commentator for Ch9 during the 1995 World Cup, as well was sideline commentator during the 1997 Super League season. I think he started calling Broncos games (not covered by Ch9 Sydney) for Ch9 Brisbane in either 1999 or 2000, right through to end of 2006 (I know Andrew Voss did it during 1995-98 and before Vossy was Billy J Smith/Alan Thomas/David Fordham).

Whoever at Ch9 Brisbane thought he had talent or great potential as a match caller must've either been tone deaf or just deaf! From the small snippets that I remember hearing of his match calls floating around on YouTube in 2006 (before the NRL started taking clips down in the second half of the year), I wasn't impressed at all with Bombers calls. He had this awful squealing, grunting voice whenever the Broncos were about to score. People think Wally Lewis was bad in the commentary box during Origin in the past (thankfully he was removed this year)...Wally had absolutely nothing on Bomba when it came to extreme on-air bias.

I still remember the first (and only) time I saw Bomber in person was doing the pre-game show of Newcastle vs Brisbane in 2000 on the sidelines with Paul Harragon and Steve Walters, and although he wasn't fat to the proportion of Darryl Brohman, he must've been the fattest match caller I've ever seen. Thankfully, NBN replayed the Fox Sports broadcast of the match instead of Ch9 Brisbane later that night. Bomber must've been crying in his beer after the match when the Knights came back from 22-4 down at half-time to win 28-22.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I was watching a replay of the 1989 Grand Final on Foxsports the other day and David Morrow was the caller with Warren Boland and John Peard (on the sideline). David took over from Jim Maxwell in 1987. I think Mike Stephenson and Neil Hanson were on the call back then. David got recruited to Channel 10 sometime in 1990 and is part of the Kangaroo Tour commentary with Graeme Hughes. I think Artie came onto the call when David moved on from the ABC,

I definitely remember this game being "simulcast" on the ABC and a commercial channel. Who the channel and callers where I couldn't tell you.

Matua

Bench
Did TVNZ (FTA station over there) also broadcast RL matches during the early years of the Warriors? I've seen a couple of clips on the internet of Greg Clark calling Wests vs Auckland and Illawarra vs Auckland from 1996. Also, I'm assuming Sky showed matches live back then and you also got the full game of the Ch9 Sunday '1hr edited' highlights, right?

Up to the end of 1995, it's amazing to think even non-RL places like Adelaide and Perth got the Ch9 Sunday game live and in full, whereas the folk in NSW/QLD only got 1hr highlights at 6:30pm.
I assume TVNZ had a few, but Sky used to have every league match that was broadcast (this was before the Warriors too) - my weekends were taken up with watching NRL and videos back then.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No one did the games from France..

Channel 7 took the French feed of the Kangaroo tests in 1978 and 1982 with Rex Mossop providing commentary from Sydney. These were on delay.
1986 had no coverage in Australia.
The ABC did the 1990 series with Warren Boland doing the commentary.
The 1994 test was not shown.

Iafeta

Referee
Yes, remember the AC/DC song that Ch9 used to promote their MNF game in 1997. The novelty of MNF had worn off well into season 1997 (compared to the success in the second half of '96). Having the game on at 9:30pm instead of 8:30pm didn't help. But yes, it was an irony that Ch9 broadcasted SL matches in the end.

Only highlight from the Super League season was the famous Tri-Series final (SL's repsonse to State of Origin, as they didn't have the rights to Origin) that went for a record 104 minutes. However, QLD should consider themselves lucky to have been there in the final: NZ had a fair-try disallowed by Steve Clark right on full-time a few days earlier vs NSW, and thus denied a conversion attempt to qualify for the final at the expense of QLD on for-and-against. NSW vs NZ final at QE II Stadium would've been a PR disaster.

Yes, as 2000/2001 seasons kicked off during February and it was still hot and humid, Ch9 did live Saturday night games in place of their Sunday game.

Both games in the round 1 Homebush double headers were live at 6:30 and 8:30. Ch9 then covered a live Saturday night game at 6:30pm during rds 2-6 of 2000 and a live Saturday night game at 7:30pm during rds 2-5 of 2001, before replacing it with their delayed Sunday game at 4pm.

Ch9 also did a one-off Saturday night game at 8:30pm (1hr delay) in 1998 (round 15) between Parramatta vs Norths.

I remember that. It was Sean Hoppe he denied saying he was offside. It was an absolutely disgraceful piece of refereeing. He should have been sacked on the spot.

Iafeta

Referee

Greg Clark IIRC was calling for TV3, which isn't TVNZ (back then TVNZ owned TV one and Channel 2).

Graham Hughes and Graeme Lowe called the early years of the Warriors on Sky. Hughes was seeeennnsational. Lowe not so much.

Latest posts