What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

innsaneink

Referee
The Tank said:
:lol: I wish. It ain't gonna happen. I thought maybe with the likes of MacDougall (Luke), Lyon, and Hannay being mentioned as our "quality centre".

Then we sign O'Halloran. Enough said.

Funny how things work, we let Band-Aids O'Halloran go, 2003....we were pretty bad then, no - very bad..... couple years later we pick up your Kiwi test centre, the next year you pick up Band-aids from London Broncos.

RainMan

Juniors
bartman said:
St Helens won't let Lyon go easily - he's turned into their main strike weapon in their quest to win a trophy. And even if he did I'm not sure Parra would give Lyon an NRL release for next year without wanting to demand a huge transfer fee etc.

Jamie may be missing Australia and his family, but he should get to come home for Xmas and through summer. Then he's only got to go back for another 8-9 months in 2006 to fulfil his obligations, and be free to then sign with whoever he wants. Don't think the rumour will come to fruition, Manly (or anyone else wanting him in 2007) had better be budgeting ahead in preparation.

Parra will not let Lyon play with Manly for 2006.

Come 2007 its a different story. Manly should have a bit of money to spend with Kennedy, Menzies, Heckenburg and Witt to name a few off contract in 2006.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
ParraDude_Jay said:
Stewart just signed up for four more years and you only ever sign those deals if there is good money involved. They think he's a future Aus rep, so he wouldn't be cheap anymore. Witt is also on good money (alot more than what he is worth anyway)

If Manly sign Lyon, they're breaching the cap, it's that simple. There is absolutely no way they can fit him in and as much as the little rat wants to go to Manly, he knows he is worth good money so he won't sign for any less than $300,000 - $350,000 a season, and that is the lowest.

That doesn't mean they will breach. It's in no way that simple.

He might be worth $300-$350k a season. Who knows what the market will dictate if and when the time comes.

For arguments sake say he signs for $900k for 3 seasons. Doesn't mean he'll be paid $300k a season. They can pay him $100 + $400 +$400 or $200 + $350 + $350 for example. Clubs can tailor contracts to fit in the cap. Deferred payments. Commonest LEGAL way around the cap. Roosters and Broncos do it all the time.

The other way is advance payments as someone mentioned. The Sharks have also done this with Kimmorley. They were way under the cap in 2003 so they advance payed Noddy to make even more for the next year.

The Colonel

Immortal
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
The other way is advance payments as someone mentioned. The Sharks have also done this with Kimmorley. They were way under the cap in 2003 so they advance payed Noddy to make even more for the next year.

I think you'll find that loophole was closed. Manly saw to that when they signed Kite and Kennedy. There is a floor of $3 million that needs to be spent now.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
So in other words, they'll cheat without cheating :lol:

There is still no way they could fit Bell, Lyon, B.Stewart, Orford, Kite and Monaghan under the cap without selecting fans out of the crowd to fill the other positions on the field. Not to mention Watmough, and maybe others by then, will need a contract upgrade after coming good in the past year. The players they're releasing aren't matching up with what they're signing/re-signing.

RainMan

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
So in other words, they'll cheat without cheating :lol:

There is still no way they could fit Bell, Lyon, B.Stewart, Orford, Kite and Monaghan under the cap without selecting fans out of the crowd to fill the other positions on the field. Not to mention Watmough, and maybe others by then, will need a contract upgrade after coming good in the past year. The players they're releasing aren't matching up with what they're signing/re-signing.

Are you genuinely f**king stupid?

Look at the Manly players coming off contract in 2006 from my post from before.

Come 2007 its a different story. Manly should have a bit of money to spend with Kennedy, Menzies, Heckenburg and Witt to name a few off contract in 2006.

If you still think that Manly won't be able to fit Lyon under their cap, if they choose to go after him, then you are as dumb as you make out.

Stop guessing what will happen and just come out and say you don't want to see Lyon at Manly.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
It's not cheating though. It's smart and all clubs do it, Eels included.

I think many fans from all over have over inflated ideas of what the lower tier players get. It's nothing to have 1/2 a side in the NRL on $50k or less each.

Riddell, Tahu, Cayless, Morris, Hindmarsh, Morrison, Stringer, T Smith etc. Using your reasoning how do the Eels get under?

:)

Frenzy.

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
I think you'll find that loophole was closed. Manly saw to that when they signed Kite and Kennedy. There is a floor of $3 million that needs to be spent now.

Colonel, I am unaware of that and it's not mentioned in the Salary Cap rules. I don't see how the NRL can tell a club it has to spend a minimum amount.

How are Souths and the Sharks going to get near that when they couldn't attract a mozzie to a blood bank? :lol:

RainMan

Juniors
Colonel, I am unaware of that and it's not mentioned in the Salary Cap rules. I don't see how the NRL can tell a club it has to spend a minimum amount.

How are Souths and the Sharks going to get near that when they couldn't attract a mozzie to a blood bank? :lol:

Colonel is right. Manly paid massive sign on fees to Kite and Kennedy from their 2004 cap. Effectively signing them for reduced contracts for the following years. The NRL saw what Manly had done and put the rule in that no Club can 'accumulate' their cap. The maximum limit is know 250k? that can be left over from the previous year.

The Colonel

Immortal

The CBA agreement gave the the salary cap a floor of $3 million. Thats why they have to spend spend spend and not just to attract players. ;-)

http://www.myfooty.com.au/images/uploaded/RLPA%20Media%20Release%2019-5-05.doc
“The agreement provides minimum wages for all players. So a kid who makes it into the top 25 must now be paid at least $37,500. Players in the top 17 must be paid at least $55,000. Young players not in the top 25 but are required to play and train in the NRL squad receive $2,000 per match and $150 per day to compensate for loss normal day time earnings.”

A significant victory for the players' union was the provision that each club spend at least $3 million of its allocated salary cap of $3.3 million on player payments thereby creating a floor to complement the NRL's ceiling.

The agreements include other minimum entitlements such as:

• 9 % Superannuation

• 6 weeks annual leave to be taken at the end of each season

• Seat on 3 man NRL appeals Committee.

• sick leave

• parental leave

• occupational health and safety committees at each club

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
It's not cheating though. It's smart and all clubs do it, Eels included.

I think many fans from all over have over inflated ideas of what the lower tier players get. It's nothing to have 1/2 a side in the NRL on $50k or less each.

Riddell, Tahu, Cayless, Morris, Hindmarsh, Morrison, Stringer, T Smith etc. Using your reasoning how do the Eels get under?

:)

Riddell and Tahu were our big signings.

Cayless and Hindy are very loyal and are on less than what they could get elsewhere. Morrison is also on less because he wanted to come back to NSW and he'd just returned from a broken neck. Morris wasn't on much when we signed him and I seriously doubt he got a big upgrade because the club still don't see him as a long-term five-eighth.

Stringer and Tim Smith aren't on much because Tim isn't signed long term and is only 20, why would he be on high money? And Stringer was an injury-prone SOUTHS prop, enough said.

If we were breaching the cap, we'd be on 0 points right now because after our big spending spree the NRL would have gone through it with a fine tooth comb.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
Riddell and Tahu were our big signings.

Cayless and Hindy are very loyal and are on less than what they could get elsewhere. Morrison is also on less because he wanted to come back to NSW and he'd just returned from a broken neck. Morris wasn't on much when we signed him and I seriously doubt he got a big upgrade because the club still don't see him as a long-term five-eighth.

Stringer and Tim Smith aren't on much because Tim isn't signed long term and is only 20, why would he be on high money? And Stringer was an injury-prone SOUTHS prop, enough said.

If we were breaching the cap, we'd be on 0 points right now because after our big spending spree the NRL would have gone through it with a fine tooth comb.
Correct me if i am wrong, but i am pretty sure Hindmarsh kicked up a stink because he wasn't getting paid what he wanted, and Cayless is on some big Dollars too.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Harold Bishop said:
Correct me if i am wrong, but i am pretty sure Hindmarsh kicked up a stink because he wasn't getting paid what he wanted, and Cayless is on some big Dollars too.

Hindmarsh extended his contract for (I think) 3 more years last year when he wasn't off contract. I think that "kicking up a stink" was just media bullsh*t, he's very loyal to the Eels and did take less than what he could have got elsewhere, but it's still good money. And Cayless is the captain and all captains are on good money, but not in the 400k range or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts