What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RUMOUR: Willie Mason a Tiger

The only real reason you take on an ageing player is for experience and to help younger blokes out.

We don't want or need his 'experiences' and our young blokes don't need any of his help.

The media will be all over him waiting for him to stuff up. Even if he doesn't, if he's out with the young blokes and one of them messes up, it'll be a backpage headline. Too much baggage for what would be little return.

innsaneink

Referee
Two words

Coffs Harbour

nudge-nudge-monty-python-105.jpg

laurie nichols

Juniors
The only real reason you take on an ageing player is for experience and to help younger blokes out.

We don't want or need his 'experiences' and our young blokes don't need any of his help.

Totally agree. You don't want this guy hanging around the likes of Groat and Woods...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Come on man, someone needs to teach Beau Ryan the art of backrow.

Play Wiillie on the wing inside Utai, come on.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Rumours suggesting he has signed.

Personally if he keeps his mouth shut and plays football, it will be a good buy.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I still think we a prop short and he would be a decent pick-up for minimal outlay.

Obviously it is a risk due to potential negative publicity, but has Mason really done that much wrong lately? IMO most of his serious misdemeanors were a long time ago. More recently his only crime is that he is thick as two bricks. (Unless you count pissing on the street after a big night out, which I don't). And if you did, I would point you to our esteemed 20s coach who has already topped that quite significantly.

Delete his Twitter account, tell him to shut his mouth and stay out of the papers and he will be fine. He played some decent football at the Cowboys, still hits the line hard and strong in defense. May have lost a yard of pace but would still make a significant impact as a bench player for us, IMO.

He is linked to the Knights and us: interestingly coached by Bennett and Sheens. They obviously see what I see.

sputneek

Juniors
He will drag every young player down with him, I enjoy watching your club and I'd hate to see you win a spoon which is what Mason will bring. Hope he goes back to the dogs or Brisbane tbh, but they're no chance.

sputneek

Juniors
Spoon = Bulldogs
Spoon = Roosters
Spoon = Cowboys (excluding Melbourne)
UK Club = ran away
Toulon club = ran away

You think he won't leave your club in disarray? Sheens isn't the most respectable coach, Mason will walk all over him.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Spoon = Bulldogs
Spoon = Roosters
Spoon = Cowboys (excluding Melbourne)
UK Club = ran away
Toulon club = ran away

You think he won't leave your club in disarray? Sheens isn't the most respectable coach, Mason will walk all over him.

So one player would weaken our roster (currently rated as one of the best in the NRL for 2012) so much that we would win the wooden spoon?

What a f**king load of rubbish.

Mason's previous employers (Dogs, Roosters, Cowboys) won the spoon because they were rubbish, not because of Mason.

Mason is linked to the Knights and us, interestingly coached by Bennett and Sheens - the two most experienced and two of the most successful coaches in the comp. What does that tell you?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't want him nor need him.

Woods, Groat, Murdoch Masila and Galloway are all better than him now.

In other news, Michael Gordon from Penrith was also linked to us in yet another bullshit article.

We don't have the cash in the cap to cover the sauce alien sticks on a meat pie, let alone to buy anymore players.

He'll go to newcastle, its his home up there.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
BMM and Groat haven't proven anything (as much as I rate both highly) and I think Groat showed in the semi against the Warriors that he has a long way to go before he can consistently claim a FG spot.

One or two injuries up front and we will be very thin. Mason on little coin would be a good buy to add depth and experience, IMO.

And before anyone suggests it, I don't want Blair or Ellis to end up in the front row.

The Gambler

Juniors
Just like any other player - if he can perform on the field and keep his mouth shut off it, I won't have too many problems with him being in a Tigers jersey.

super_coach

First Grade
Sheens should be showing faith in the players he has, Mason is a real gamble, its not like he has five years left in the tank. What message are we sending out their to fringe players like BMM. I see we have a ton of options up front if we hit a injury patch, remember last year saw the birth of the small front rower with the big engine. I just dont think we need a massive ego driven player in our ranks,who quite frankly is over the hill and half way up the other side. Save the money and put it into another standout junior

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
BMM and Groat haven't proven anything (as much as I rate both highly) and I think Groat showed in the semi against the Warriors that he has a long way to go before he can consistently claim a FG spot.

One or two injuries up front and we will be very thin. Mason on little coin would be a good buy to add depth and experience, IMO.

And before anyone suggests it, I don't want Blair or Ellis to end up in the front row.
they are still miles ahead of Mason.

N.C.

Juniors
Let's face it the main reason for hating Willie Mason is that he plays for someone else.

Bring him to the Tigers!!!

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Sheens should be showing faith in the players he has, Mason is a real gamble, its not like he has five years left in the tank. What message are we sending out their to fringe players like BMM. I see we have a ton of options up front if we hit a injury patch, remember last year saw the birth of the small front rower with the big engine. I just dont think we need a massive ego driven player in our ranks,who quite frankly is over the hill and half way up the other side. Save the money and put it into another standout junior

I tend to think someone like Mason would be potentially limiting Matthew Bell's time in FG rather than any youngster.

Besides, I think BMM is best suited as a backrower and should be a long-term replacement for Heighno/Ellis rather than any prop.

Latest posts