What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RUMOUR: Willie Mason a Tiger

azsportza

Live Update Team
I will say this again. Mason is not welcome, if you think otherwise then you are crazy. He will even earn a spot in the side.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I hated Utai until he played for the Tigers. He's done some good things & some dumb things, but I sort of like him these days. I'm not keen on Mason, but if Sheens & the senior players think he'll be OK then I'm prepared to wait & see what happens. I imagine he'd be on the same sort of deal as Utai and easy to get rid of if he plays up.

Vicious

Bench
Willie would be an ideal signing. Our starting props will be Galloway & Woods, when they go off for a rest our go forward will be limited. If we sign Willie it will help solve this problem.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Entertaining thread.

Anyone who thinks Mason can't play is deluded.

It is all about personality.

Some clearly hate, some worry about the media.

He would certainly need to train hard and prove to any coach he can perform.

Seems more a telegraph poll, than ability to perform for the club.

Chess is better for some.

N.C.

Juniors
Mason = Fifita + 1 ( - $250,000.00/yr)

(Now off to wash mouth out with soap)

sputneek

Juniors
So one player would weaken our roster (currently rated as one of the best in the NRL for 2012) so much that we would win the wooden spoon?

What a f**king load of rubbish.

Mason's previous employers (Dogs, Roosters, Cowboys) won the spoon because they were rubbish, not because of Mason.

Mason is linked to the Knights and us, interestingly coached by Bennett and Sheens - the two most experienced and two of the most successful coaches in the comp. What does that tell you?

Oh yeah? Then why did all 3 teams make the 8 after their horror years with him at the helm? Now I hope you get him, clearly you don't know anything about his character off the field, I hope toxicity he brings is worth signing a over the hill forward who adds nothing that another overweight hack couldn't. Any fyi, he's only connected to Newcastle cause he's a Newcastle junior. Bennett would never sign him. Keep acting like you know what you're talking about cause you clearly do not. Sign him.

N.C.

Juniors
Oh yeah? Then why did all 3 teams make the 8 after their horror years with him at the helm? Now I hope you get him, clearly you don't know anything about his character off the field, I hope toxicity he brings is worth signing a over the hill forward who adds nothing that another overweight hack couldn't. Any fyi, he's only connected to Newcastle cause he's a Newcastle junior. Bennett would never sign him. Keep acting like you know what you're talking about cause you clearly do not. Sign him.
Wow. Did you catch him in some untoward business or other with your pet hamster? You seem to have developed a twitch...

hybrid_tiger

Coach

Because they improved their terrible rosters after a terrible year?

If you honestly think Mason automatically means a club would win a wooden spoon you are f**king deluded.

The Tigers have a FAR better roster in 2012 than what the Bulldogs had in 08 and the Cowboys and Roosters had when Mason was on their books.

But keep telling yourself Wille was solely responsible for his teams finishing last.

sputneek

Juniors
:lol: Must be the only person in the world to rate Mason. 5 clubs in 5 years, 3 of them ended up with the spoon. Coincidence? Not to you. I bet you also believe that Heighington is a good lock and that you don't need a fullback or halfback to win premierships :lol:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
All I said was that he would be a good buy for minimal coin as I believe we are still a prop short. If injury strikes and Galloway and Woods go down we will struggle.

To say one player is the sole cause of a team winning a wooden spoon is absolutely f**king ridiculousa and if you truly believe that you are a f**king imbecile.

And no, I don't rate Heighington for your information.

Eddie.

Bench
Willie Mason close to his damaging best, would be a clear asset to us on the field. He could be that wide running forward, that can offload the ball and cause destruction on the edges running off Marshall. Mason at his best, could be the difference between semi finalists and premiership winners.

Problem is, is he capable of getting back to his bestt. He Is on the wrong side of 30, Hasn't played league for 2 years, has had a knee reco only a few years back. There would have to be doubts. Although you look at guys like Lote and the time they spent out the game and he hit the ground running. Although he is a winger, different story up front

My gut feeling is that he might actually fit in fine for a year or two. The culture at the Tigers is pretty strong with some pretty respected figures that have been there a long time. He would have a lot to prove to the group and i'm pretty sure he would be pretty motived on his last chance. He would know there is a premiership up for grabs here and some personal plaudits along the way if he knuckles down. I would back him in that regard.

My issue is not so much his track record, it's can he get back to best football?, after a couple of years out and a couple of years playing average footy? If he is not at his best and gets dropped or injured Mason can get bored quick, when he could be sittin around like a bad smell.

It's a gamble. It could be great or we could get burnt. If he still has his skills of the Mid 2000's then I would take the gamble for a year, however who knows if he does?? Tough call.

Last edited:

Skitz68

Juniors
I agree Mason would be a good buy at the right price . 1 extra prop would be handy and ensure Blair plays second row .
As for Heighington he's a solid lock , trys his guts out every week you need blokes like that in your squad as far as im concerned.
Having said that i think the Tigers will have a good season , plenty of competition for positions will help. We actually have a bit of depth this year . Can't wait !!!

macnaz

Staff member
Well said Eddie an Skitz. If we were to sign him I doubt the club would offer any slack if he was to play up, it would be a 1 warning and your out policy id imagine.

macnaz

Staff member
:lol: Must be the only person in the world to rate Mason. 5 clubs in 5 years, 3 of them ended up with the spoon. Coincidence? Not to you. I bet you also believe that Heighington is a good lock and that you don't need a fullback or halfback to win premierships :lol:

Add me for the 2nd person.. The guy can play, and to be honest has more go in him then Galloway