What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Crap IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rothfield believes the Norman deal with us is done. On Papalii, he would be the best signing in years IMO. Awesome in attack and defence, plays beyond his years and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He is the kind if player is like to see at Parra for ten years. It will be hard to get him fron Canberra but we should be trying everything to land him, especially when we son't know how many more we could miss out on. Just dont throw 400k at him...

You recon $500k would sweeten the deal that little bit more?

Gronk

Staff member
Pretty sure that our poor conversion rate of signing quality now means that we need to pay massive overs to get decent players and even then most wont come. If $400+k for the pig from Canberra is what you need to pay then we'll just have to do it.

Pretty sure that our poor conversion rate of signing quality now means that we need to pay massive overs to get decent players and even then most wont come. If $400+k for the pig from Canberra is what you need to pay then we'll just have to do it.

Just do what the Roosters supposedly did with Maloney. Get the Raiders to "release" him before 31 Oct, pay the majority of his first year salary this year (ie before 31 Oct) so that it comes under this years cap (which we should have plenty of space to do) and it won't have as big an effect going forward.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade

You are right. We would get way more value out of hin if we got him for 350+ than we did for Poore.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Just do what the Roosters supposedly did with Maloney. Get the Raiders to "release" him before 31 Oct, pay the majority of his first year salary this year (ie before 31 Oct) so that it comes under this years cap (which we should have plenty of space to do) and it won't have as big an effect going forward.

How does that work ? Aren't players meant to change clubs before 30 June ? They would indicate he had two contracts for the same year?

How does that work ? Aren't players meant to change clubs before 30 June ? They would indicate he had two contracts for the same year?

All I know is that Brady Alexander (not the most reliable source I know) clarrified comments made by the Rorters coach and recruitment manager that the majority of Maloneys 2013 salary was included in the 2012 cap. How he explained it was:

1 - players are contracted until 31 Oct, which is the period the salary cap relates to.
2 - the roosters had cap space of $400k left over
3 - the Warriors agreed to/were persuaded to release Maloney "early", with "early being some time after the season ended, but before 31 Oct
4 - The Roosters then "pre-paid" Maloney in 2012 for the 2013 season, thereby bringing the salary cap effect forward and meaning that only $100k of Maloneys 2013 salary is counted in the 2013 cap.

Make of that what you will. Maybe its something that all clubs do, or maybe its a rort that The Schu and Nick have put together. I don't know.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
All I know is that Brady Alexander (not the most reliable source I know) clarrified comments made by the Rorters coach and recruitment manager that the majority of Maloneys 2013 salary was included in the 2012 cap. How he explained it was:

1 - players are contracted until 31 Oct, which is the period the salary cap relates to.
3 - the Warriors agreed to/were persuaded to release Maloney "early", with "early being some time after the season ended, but before 31 Oct
4 - The Roosters then "pre-paid" Maloney in 2012 for the 2013 season, thereby bringing the salary cap effect forward and meaning that only $100k of Maloneys 2013 salary is counted in the 2013 cap.

Make of that what you will. Maybe its something that all clubs do, or maybe its a rort that The Schu and Nick have put together. I don't know.

Yeah I heard it mentioned but didn't know the details of how it worked. Roosters definitely got a free ride there considering we potentially missed out on izzy because we couldn't register him to an amount that both parties agreed to.

I reckon what the roosters did is against the rules - that is basically the roosters registering a player with the nrl after the June 30 cut of date for transfers. You aren't allow to sign a player in July for the current year then why are the roosters allow to do it in October . Gee there are some rules for some clubs and special ones for others.

Delboy

First Grade
The Rorters have a massive advantage with the NRL terrified Of Uncle Nick challenging them in court,and an ex player as the cap auditor. Do the math :(

Parraren

Bench
Every time some signing news is found out by the media we never land the player. Papali would be an excellent signing. Exactly what we need. It's the type of young player we should be targeting.

He is. If we could only land one of Scott, Tamou or Papali then I'd be stoked with contestant number 3

strider

Post Whore

:? .... f**k that sounds dodgy

why would the warriors be so keen to help the roosters out? .... storing up browny points for the future?

i thought the NRL had an explicit thing in place to stop players getting paid disproportionate amounts from year to year .... wonder how much he got in 2012 if he is only technically getting 100K in 2013

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
What happened to Mitchell Johnson after he went to Storm?
Wondered if Dean Pay could transform this torrent of rage into a good prop forward?

Ratchy

Juniors
What happened to Mitchell Johnson after he went to Storm?
Wondered if Dean Pay could transform this torrent of rage into a good prop forward?

Played a season up in the Qld Cup for Easts and was horrible at best. The next season Melbourne put him in their team in the NSW Cup and was released mid season for playing up on the drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts