What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Crap IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
i thought the NRL had an explicit thing in place to stop players getting paid disproportionate amounts from year to year .... wonder how much he got in 2012 if he is only technically getting 100K in 2013

They do have a thing in place to stop players getting 'significant variation' between years.

Unfortunately it isn't a set amount, and therefore up to Schu's interpretation, and so a totally crap rule.
[I bet Brandy is wrong though]

I bet the Roosters paid the Warriors enough money to pay Maloney out in full. [This money from Roosters to Warriors would've been a 'donation' and so not seen in salary cap monies]. Maloney would've then signed as big a 1 season contract with the Roosters as he could, and then signed a new deal at seasons end for the lesser amount (ie, $100k).
Since the only thing that needs to be lodged at the NRL is the actual contract, all the negotiating could've been documented and attested by lawyers so that Maloney was bound to pay the Roosters back the money if he reneged and didn't sign up at seasons end.

oldmancraigy

Coach
why would the warriors be so keen to help the roosters out? .... storing up browny points for the future?

Exactly - but why were they so keen to help the Dogs out?

Basically it's them dumping salary, and I don't believe Alexanders version of events, it'd be too hard to sneak that one past super sleuth Schu

natheel

Coach
So in the NRL rumour thread. Someone has heard will had gone sour on us after his brothers sacking and will go back to manly? Can't see it happening

Gronk

Staff member
So in the NRL rumour thread. Someone has heard will had gone sour on us after his brothers sacking and will go back to manly? Can't see it happening

Me either considering Manly were sweating on the cap increase for 2013 just to register Snake's contract. They'd have to chop a whole bunch of players to afford a $700+ contract for Hoppa in 2014.

strider

Post Whore
Me either considering Manly were sweating on the cap increase for 2013 just to register Snake's contract. They'd have to chop a whole bunch of players to afford a $700+ contract for Hoppa in 2014.

nah - he's gonna play for $1.50 .... its a principle thing dude!

eels81236

Bench
They do have a thing in place to stop players getting 'significant variation' between years.

Unfortunately it isn't a set amount, and therefore up to Schu's interpretation, and so a totally crap rule.
[I bet Brandy is wrong though]

I bet the Roosters paid the Warriors enough money to pay Maloney out in full. [This money from Roosters to Warriors would've been a 'donation' and so not seen in salary cap monies]. Maloney would've then signed as big a 1 season contract with the Roosters as he could, and then signed a new deal at seasons end for the lesser amount (ie, $100k).
Since the only thing that needs to be lodged at the NRL is the actual contract, all the negotiating could've been documented and attested by lawyers so that Maloney was bound to pay the Roosters back the money if he reneged and didn't sign up at seasons end.

I like your style.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i don't think you can get a binding commitment until the contract is registered with the NRL which is after round 13

stuke

Bench
Isn't that if he has a current contract with another club?

Could the rules be different for a player who doesn't have a current contract? Especially one that a club has already invested in terms of training and monitoring.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i don't think you can get a binding commitment until the contract is registered with the NRL which is after round 13

i'm fairly certain that rule only relates to players with more than a 6 months left on their contract. it was brought in to protect the existing club with "last matching rights" i believe

hybrideel

Bench
who's to say he isn't currently part of our squad and taking a piece of our cap which is why we threw the money at him that we are

El Diablo

Post Whore
In other words, you don't know.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Suity

well going off what has happened in the past it seems logical that would be the case

i don't see why he would fall under a different set of rules just because he doesn't currently play and isn't under contract to another club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts