What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Crap IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

strider

Post Whore
I was just wondering .... when was the last time we were genuinely worried about another club signing away a quality player of ours?

We've tried to get a few from other clubs recently which would have stressed some other club's fans .... but I really don't know who we've stressed over

Suitman

Post Whore
I was just wondering .... when was the last time we were genuinely worried about another club signing away a quality player of ours?

We've tried to get a few from other clubs recently which would have stressed some other club's fans .... but I really don't know who we've stressed over

Tony Williams. I remember it clearly.
We were most upset at that loss.

Suity

jk13

First Grade
That dog Lyons also comes to mind. Ian hind marsh. Brad drew to a lessor extent and Jason cayless

El Diablo

Post Whore

Morts

El Diablo

Post Whore
here's a good laugh http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/br...e-defensive-edge/story-fndujljl-1226583099694

Broncos look to Stephen Kearney to restore defensive edge

Todd Balym
The Courier-Mail
February 22, 2013 12:00AM

THE Broncos believe new assistant coach Stephen Kearney will help them restore their top-three defensive rating.

Brisbane were aiming to be among the three most miserly defensive units in the NRL last season, but a fade-out over the second half of the season resulted in Brisbane finishing eighth on both the ladder and points conceded standings in the regular season.

The arrival of New Zealand Test coach Kearney, bringing the wrestling secrets he learned over many years at Melbourne, is set to make the Broncos a tougher unit when the season starts in three weeks.

"We've worked really hard during the pre-season with a couple of areas of our defence and the trial period is an opportunity to see a bit of that," Kearney said.

Workhorse prop Josh McGuire said Kearney had settled nicely into the Broncos set-up, his first job since quitting after two painful seasons as Parramatta head coach.

While he may not have had much success at the Eels, he had five years under Craig Bellamy when the Storm were always ranked in the top two in the NRL for points conceded.

"(Kearney) is a Test coach so he has brought a lot of intensity to the club and the wrestling and the stuff he had at Melbourne," McGuire said.

"You have to improve every year. The competition is that hard and the blokes in the other teams are getting that much bigger. We're really enjoying having him here. He is a great coach and all the boys love him and he is a bit of a character too."

With noted defensive enforcer Ben Te'o joining South Sydney, the Broncos will need to find a new hard-hitting weapon to strike fear into the opposition's ball runners.

While McGuire jokingly nominated Matt Gillett as the new hitman, Gillett said making a strong impact in defence had been a key focus for the team in the pre-season.

Gronk

Staff member
Me either considering Manly were sweating on the cap increase for 2013 just to register Snake's contract. They'd have to chop a whole bunch of players to afford a $700+ contract for Hoppa in 2014.

Looks like I spoke too soon.

Manly will hold urgent talks with the ARL Commission on Friday as they attempt to resolve Brett Stewart's long-running contract dispute before the start of the premiership.Salary cap auditor Ian Schubert is yet to register the contract Stewart signed with the Sea Eagles late last year due to concerns over the club's salary cap, threatening his ability to play in the club's premiership opener against the Brisbane Broncos on March 8.

As one source suggested on Thursday, Stewart could be the "world's richest water boy".

It is understood Manly want to change the structure of Stewart's contract to bring it into line with the recent changes in the salary cap - the marquee player allowance has been lifted considerably under the new collective bargaining agreement.
The plan would result in shifting some of Stewart's reported $550,000-a-year contract from the cap to the marquee allowance, thereby easing pressure on the club's salary cap.
At the behest of Manly, the ARLC raised the issue of altering contracts at the chief executives meeting on Wednesday but it is understood several clubs raised their concerns.

Schubert is also believed to have rejected an initial approach from Manly over the changes, although further talks will take place on Friday.
If Schubert and the ARLC refuse to budge, Manly will be left with no choice but to hold a fire sale of players if it wants Stewart available to play against the Broncos.
The club has already shed forward Vic Mauro and half Liam Foran.

Those moves were expected to create space for Stewart but it appears the club has more work to do after gambling on the size of the salary cap this season.
The final figure - a cap of $5.15 million and marquee allowance of $550,000 - was agreed only this month.
It is understood several players have already been offered to rival clubs in an attempt to create room for Stewart.

#lol@manly

Gronk

Staff member

Kingston

forward pass

Coach

Sad indictment on our roster really isn't it that we dont have anyone apart from Hayne who is genuineluy wanted by other clubs.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Justin Horo (knights) and Daniel Mortimer (dogs) in 2010, sadly we were able to keep them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts