What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Crap IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucablight

First Grade
Hopoate was a superstar when he left. Killed it at origin and the grand final. If he comes back as good he he was when he left we'll have a real gem on our hands. Bring home Mateo!

Chipmunk

Coach
Interesting he wants two props but only one back rower , I thought it would be the other way. I thought along with others we were well covered for prop yet weak at back row - goes to show how little us arm chair experts know.

I am assuming he has a pretty high opinion on our Holden cup trio and expects them to ready for the nrl in the next year or so.

You can build a side around hoppa and Hayne

At the end of the day we have Maitua, Paulo, Harrison, Ryan and Ben Smith, as well as potentially Papali, tied up until at least the end of 2014 dont we?

I think our biggest weakness this year is with the third tight forward (essentially Lock). Paulo is too much of a ball player to be a hard tight forward. Essentially with Paulo in the team we are basically running two five-eighth's. Unless he gets serious and toughens up in the middle.

Front rower are hard to find...We have probably signed the best potential young front rower in the comp in Lussick. Finding a decent quality off-contract front rower who is going to leave his current club for us is a really going to be difficult to do. Any suggestions???

Eels Dude

Coach
Backrow we've all the spots covered and depth, the overall standard is extremely weak though. Guys like Harrison, Ryan, and Lasalo will probably see plenty of first grade this year, whereas at any other club they wouldn't. Our top 4 props are solid, but if we cop any injuries there we'll struggle as we've no depth. So basically both positions could do with improvement

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
At the end of the day we have Maitua, Paulo, Harrison, Ryan and Ben Smith, as well as potentially Papali, tied up until at least the end of 2014 dont we?

I think our biggest weakness this year is with the third tight forward (essentially Lock). Paulo is too much of a ball player to be a hard tight forward. Essentially with Paulo in the team we are basically running two five-eighth's. Unless he gets serious and toughens up in the middle.

Front rower are hard to find...We have probably signed the best potential young front rower in the comp in Lussick. Finding a decent quality off-contract front rower who is going to leave his current club for us is a really going to be difficult to do. Any suggestions???

Yeah i agree we really need a quality third tight player. For prop

Keith Galloway
Aiden tolman - he would be my target , I reckon he could also play as that third tight player as well.
Michael weyman
Matt groat
Caleb timu
Matt prior
Korbin sims
Greg Eastwood

The Colonel

Immortal
Bryan Norrie! Big and experienced plus wouldn't command big money.

If you look at the current recruitment strategy, age is a big factor. Norrie is a decent player in a syst that is designed for 'role' players. He is also older than the players we are seemingly looking at.

Groat is a young prop at the Tigers. Has played first grade but is seemingly behind the like of Galloway, Bell, Murdoch-masila and Woods.

eels81236

Bench
If you look at the current recruitment strategy, age is a big factor. Norrie is a decent player in a syst that is designed for 'role' players. He is also older than the players we are seemingly looking at.

Groat is a young prop at the Tigers. Has played first grade but is seemingly behind the like of Galloway, Bell, Murdoch-masila and Woods.

I'm no Groat fan. IIRC he played 1st grade the year before Woods. Even considering the missed playing time due to the fact that he is made of glass, there is a reason that he is stuck behind the four mentioned and others including Blair and Buchanan. Bell and Petybourne enable the ability to shuffle things around also to ensure that Groat is a long way off getting a spot, IMO.
Having said that, he is coming off a pretty good year for him. Only two surgeries. Three if you include the MRI on his knee.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm no Groat fan. IIRC he played 1st grade the year before Woods. Even considering the missed playing time due to the fact that he is made of glass, there is a reason that he is stuck behind the four mentioned and others including Blair and Buchanan. Bell and Petybourne enable the ability to shuffle things around also to ensure that Groat is a long way off getting a spot, IMO.
Having said that, he is coming off a pretty good year for him. Only two surgeries. Three if you include the MRI on his knee.

Considering he is only 21 this year and has played nrl on and off over the last two years shows how much potential the kid has - most guys in front of him have are in there mid the late 20''s with several years nrl experience.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Bryan Norrie! Big and experienced plus wouldn't command big money.

From past form, you don't recruit from the storm. There is something in the water down storm way that makes players perform better than they do else where. Norrie was on the way to country footy as no one in sydney wanted - which indicates how crap he was before getting picked by the storm. And I dare say that form would return if he left Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.