What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Crap IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Value should be based on what he offers on the field and to this point it has been very little.

Actually, based on the widely reported theory that his deal has been massively back ended, I'd suggest that he has offered tremendous value to the Panthers for the first few years of his current contract, because they have had an origin player playing for them on "unders". Of course the next few years when the back loading kicks in looks like poor value, because he's getting his "overs" to make up for his previous Unders (again, assuming the reported back loading is true).

I remember a few posters on here suggesting that the Eels resign Hayne to a long term deal this year and front load it as much as possible to make use of the increase in salary cap in 2013. If we did that, would it be fair for JH to complain about the low (relatively) salary he was getting in years 4 or 5 of his contract? Of course not, it's the total value of the deal/yearly average that counts and what his "value to the team" should be based upon.

Snoochies

First Grade
Greg Bird may be harder to get now that the Tits have realeased Beau Champion who has re-signed with the Rabbitohs.

The Colonel

Immortal
Actually, based on the widely reported theory that his deal has been massively back ended, I'd suggest that he has offered tremendous value to the Panthers for the first few years of his current contract, because they have had an origin player playing for them on "unders". Of course the next few years when the back loading kicks in looks like poor value, because he's getting his "overs" to make up for his previous Unders (again, assuming the reported back loading is true).

I remember a few posters on here suggesting that the Eels resign Hayne to a long term deal this year and front load it as much as possible to make use of the increase in salary cap in 2013. If we did that, would it be fair for JH to complain about the low (relatively) salary he was getting in years 4 or 5 of his contract? Of course not, it's the total value of the deal/yearly average that counts and what his "value to the team" should be based upon.

Based in what ever they have been paying him in recent seasons or this one he has been hugely over valued for a player considered a game breaker that hasn't realised that potential for his team.

hindy111

Post Whore
Dont want Jennings or Bird.
I like the idea of Morgan cheyse blair Loko and hoppate playing for centre spots over the next few yrs.
Bird is just too old for my liking.
But yes without saying too much there is more too the jennings thing-He looks like he will leave penrith-

natheel

Coach
Bird on a 2 year deal would be good for the young guys coming through to learn the way of the merkin off him

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
So what is a SOO centre worth in your book?

A proven match breaker like Inglis is worth $600k.
All others playing at their best like W Tonga, M Jennings, etc are worth $400k
Be it fullback or center, proven match breakers/savers like Slater, Hayne & Inglis are worth far more than $600k.
Throw Cameron Smith into this mix as well.
Just my opinion, I feel Cameron (and Slater, Inglis & Hayne) is easily worth $1 mill. He is that good. Now the best combo of hooker, organiser & on-field tactician of all time.
As an exemption, the NRL should be covering the difference between $600k and $1 mill and the clubs cover the rest under the cap.
Regardless of recent times, Benji Marshal should be added to this mix as well.

A proven match breaker like Inglis is worth $600k.
All others playing at their best like W Tonga, M Jennings, etc are worth $400k
Be it fullback or center, proven match breakers/savers like Slater, Hayne & Inglis are worth far more than $600k.
Throw Cameron Smith into this mix as well.
Just my opinion, I feel Cameron (and Slater, Inglis & Hayne) is easily worth $1 mill. He is that good. Now the best combo of hooker, organiser & on-field tactician of all time.
As an exemption, the NRL should be covering the difference between $600k and $1 mill and the clubs cover the rest under the cap.

I reckon you're a little bit light on these valuations (Inglis / Jennings etc), given that the cap is $5 million (or thereabouts). This gives an ave salary of $200k for the top 25 (and then there are marquee allowances etc), and there'll be quite a few players below the average. Still, as none of us know exactly what any player is actually being paid, we're all talking out our arse to some extent.

Whether someone has played SOO is not so much the issue, but if Jennings wasn't a complete f**kwit, I'd put him in the 550k-600k region. Unfortunately, there is compelling evidence that he is a complete goose, and that means I'd only take him at significant unders.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Depends what position he plays at club level. See Origin centres Inglis and Hayne - fullbacks for their clubs. Plus Hodges will probably play fullback for the Broncos this year.

The Panthers even tried Jennings at fullback to try and get their money's worth out of him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Just topped the NRL in try assists and LBAs. That's about the fourth year in a row he's been in the top two in those key categories.

Marshall's the best player in the world. If the Tigers are failing it's his teammates that are letting him down. Likewise Hayne's mates at Parra.

Bird on a 2 year deal would be good for the young guys coming through to learn the way of the merkin off him

Great, they can learn the correct way to hit someone in the face with a glass while getting off scott free.
We need more of that at our club.

The Colonel

Immortal

If we are using Origin as a guide, and we must remember that he hasn't played that much centre at that level having been moved out to the wing beside Hayne for the series just gone, then still nowhere near the prices you are throwing up. Jennings has never displayed at a consistent level the ability to be the game breaker his salary suggests. He doesn't set up his outside man and has failed when moved to fullback to get him more involved in the game. I think he is an overpriced winger. I wouldn't like him anywhere near Parramatta at the prices some are suggesting he is worth on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts