What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and even more Crap XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

eel speel

Juniors
I reckon we should bite the bullet and play Bevan French at fullback next year. He is the best we have had in a long time and has plenty of pace.

Plenty of pace yes but I'm not sure he is ready. He's still only 17. Needs to bulk up and he may be 2 years away from the week-to-week rrigour of NRL

Brian smith had the same issue with playing a young Luke Burt. He waited another year before he gave Burty his NRL start

He looks a lot smaller than that, tbh. I'm surprised. Hopefully he does grow a bit then, because he looks like a quality player. Not sure he'd be ready next year but he's certainly the style of fullback I think Parramatta needs, his playmaking in the line is excellent.

Yeh, I was gonna say.....he's close to 6ft. Just needs to fill into it a bit. Will never be a big bloke, but can be easily big enough if good enough

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Plenty of pace yes but I'm not sure he is ready. He's still only 17. Needs to bulk up and he may be 2 years away from the week-to-week rrigour of NRL

Brian smith had the same issue with playing a young Luke Burt. He waited another year before he gave Burty his NRL start

He's already 19 born in January of '96.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
French is plenty big enough for fullback, he is already 89kg. He is heading towards 95kg and will be close to 6ft.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Current top line fullbacks:

Billy Slater is 178cm and 89kg
Brett Stewart is 186cm and 86kg
Matt Moylan is 184cm and 91kg
James Tedesco is 180cm and 93kg

So he is already similar in size to most of the better fullbacks

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I agree that French should be held back another year.

When possible, let him play a few wenty games here and there to see how he handles playing 80 minutes against men, especially against the top teams in the NSW League.

If he manages well and if our squad is definitely not going to make the 8, let him play one or two games late this season in the NRL to see how he copes, let him have a real taste of what its like and what he needs to prepare for over the off season, meaning physically building up his body with another 5kgs and improving his fitness.

Then next season give him the 1 and fully support him.

I would let him take some breaks out on the wing too if required. All part of easing him in over next season.

The great news is that we should have a very powerful pack of forwards, a great set of halves, two quality centres, two excellent wingers and a fantastic bench. Perfect recipe for easing French into the NRL next season.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Same issue as Quinlan and Mullaney, though. He's about 2 foot 3. I'm not sure small fullbacks work in the NRL any more, regardless of how good they are (and I rate Bevan potentially a very, very good player).

Quinlan is a midget 173cm / 80 kgs like mullany who is also 173/80

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I agree that French should be held back another year.

When possible, let him play a few wenty games here and there to see how he handles playing 80 minutes against men, especially against the top teams in the NSW League.

If he manages well and if our squad is definitely not going to make the 8, let him play one or two games late this season in the NRL to see how he copes, let him have a real taste of what its like and what he needs to prepare for over the off season, meaning physically building up his body with another 5kgs and improving his fitness.

Then next season give him the 1 and fully support him.

I would let him take some breaks out on the wing too if required. All part of easing him in over next season.

The great news is that we should have a very powerful pack of forwards, a great set of halves, two quality centres, two excellent wingers and a fantastic bench. Perfect recipe for easing French into the NRL next season.

Don't forget he is only 8 games into his under 20's career and appears to be developing nicely. A lot can happen between now and next year. Not many thought Moeroa would debut this time last year.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Apparently French has dropped some weight. The club got him up to 89kgs but it was affecting his speed and agility and so they've gotten him back down to low-mid 80's.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Apparently French has dropped some weight. The club got him up to 89kgs but it was affecting his speed and agility and so they've gotten him back down to low-mid 80's.

I think the higher weight was for playing in the halves, to help him defend in the line.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
I had looked at most fullbacks in comparisson to Bevans size.And he is as big as most height wise. Even guys like Boyd are only 3cm taller.
He may grow a little more too, but either way he will fill out physically over the next few years. Just natural muscle as he get into his 20's.I guess at moment he still hasnt got a mans body. Once he is finished he will be around low to mid 90's i would say from looking at him now.

Exciting talent. Might be a smokie for next year and will be 20 when season kicks off so im not ruling it out completely.

I still think Hayne may return thou.

Bigfella

Coach
He's seriously undersized at the moment.

He also needs to lift his work rate massively before being considered as a first grade player (and most fullbacks get eased in to first grade at wing or centre first).

If we wait for him to be ready for nrl we will be useless again for at least two years.

I think he can make it.

The perfect transition player could be Brett Stewart for two years.

There was word that Dugan was unhappy in the preseason. We should have chased him but put faith in Hopoate and it was a massive mistake that has contributed to a poor start.

Avenger

Immortal
Hopoate has been a massive flop. A competent centre who should be on $400k tops. Not the stupid money he is currently on. I cannot see him taking a significant paycut. I keep saying it but he is the most overrated player in the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.