What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and TheRam's whinging XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basil Brush

Juniors
Basil, welcome to LU.

I am not sure how much lurking and reading you did before your initial post, but I am sure with your early challenges to our resident "Mr Contrary" you are about to rapidly increase your post count and get a lesson on the value or otherwise of defensive halves.

Did you ever see Chris Sandow play for us? Consensus around here is that he was one of our worst ever signings and a lot of that view came from his defensive efforts (or lack of).

Cheers mate.

I was a member back in the early 2000's when people like Nicky and Jess were members and Stagger Eel had a different name.

Pou is ok most of the time. He dooes love an argument but you just have to learn to walk away from those at times.

I get what you are saying about Sandow but there a have been a lot of good halves who were bad defensively. Hell even players like Jason Taylor was a liability in defence.

The problem with Sandow was he was a complete headcase in attack as well

El Diablo

Post Whore
Indigenous jersey

Indig-jersey.jpg

yy_cheng

Coach
When Kelly plays, he demands the ball quite often

He yells at the players when he thinks they're out of position

When he throws the ball 20 m behind the play he blames the person who passes to him or why the winger or fullback isn't back there expecting it

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
When Kelly plays, he demands the ball quite often

He yells at the players when he thinks they're out of position

When he throws the ball 20 m behind the play he blames the person who passes to him or why the winger or fullback isn't back there expecting it

But apart from that, he is OK.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I will say he is better than Kelly at most things a halves player need like passing, kicking, setting up other players etc.

Not sure how important defence is either in your back up halves. If you worried about your halves being good defensive players, your side is in trouble

As we learnt from the Sandow debacle, it doesn't matter how good a player is in attack if his defence isn't up to NRL standard.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sandow's real problem wasn't his defence. It was his erratic attack. We could have carried him in defence

In his eight years in the NRL his team finished in the bottom four for defence every year bar 2009, when they were bottom six. No team can carry a player like that in their defensive line.

In attack his entire game depends on quick play-the-balls. Against a retreating defence there are few better attackers. Against a set defensive line he was useless.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He still polled highly in Dally M voting. I'm sure it wasn't for his defence.
He was flashy, we all knows are the things they the morons who judge the Dally M's look at. Norman was much better then Sandow last season how man my points did he collect???

emjaycee

Coach
Sandow's real problem wasn't his defence. It was his erratic attack. We could have carried him in defence

And yet for the three and half years he was with us, we never managed to win more than 36% of games... I guess 3 coaches couldn't work out how to carry him in defence.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He was flashy, we all knows are the things they the morons who judge the Dally M's look at. Norman was much better then Sandow last season how man my points did he collect???

Who says he was better? He played a very different role. In attack his job was to hit Ma'u short or drop it out the back to the fullback.

emjaycee

Coach

16 points. Equal 8th and 5 points behind the 2nd place getter (Marshall/Wood/Ennis with 21)

Basil Brush

Juniors
And yet for the three and half years he was with us, we never managed to win more than 36% of games... I guess 3 coaches couldn't work out how to carry him in defence.

As I said to Pou, defence was not his job. It was his erratic attack that stuffed us.

Hayne was the only thing that made his attack even look reasonable

Status
Not open for further replies.