What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Our spine is a real mess. Yet we are more worried about paying overs for an overrated front rower than keep reliable guys that love our jersey and looking to fix our spine.

Right now our only proven certainty with years left in him is Moylan.

1. Moylan
6. Rookie (TMM)
7. Rookie (Cleary)
9. Grandpa (Wallace)

I think both halves will be genuine first graders. But not alongside each other this early in their careers. Wallace is an average hooker who will only decline as he continues to age. There's simply no way that spine is a premiership threat.

Best bet was developing Moylan this year in the halves along with TMM off the bench. When TMM was injured it should have been Cleary. But Griffin seems to have decided literally every player at the club is ahead of Moylan for a halves spot. Even though we have DWZ ready to go at fullback and more backs then we can fit in.

I think we're well and truly behind where we were a couple years ago now.

I agree. We've f**ked up squad management involving the spine. It may still all work out, but it will be by good luck (having three rookies in the spine all become solid first-graders all at the same time) rather than good management. It should never had lead to such a huge roll of the dice. As I said earlier, the genesis of this was signing two aging halves to long contracts at the same time and then letting Austin go.

So this is what we have left. A massive gamble. Hope we've got the winning numbers.

TheFrog

Coach
I think you blokes should be thankful Wallace has stepped up in the hooker role, otherwise who knows who we'd have used when Segeyaro was injured, and we'd have no choice but to play Segs in his current atrocious form.

I'd also be interested in who is going to make Grandpa's 50 tackles with 0 misses (stats from the Melbourne game) in his absence.

Moylan should've been moved to the halves before now.

I'm also stunned he's not playing there today against Manly. The idea of a second rower in at 5/8 before someone who could genuinely become a long term half is mind blowing.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I think you blokes should be thankful Wallace has stepped up in the hooker role, otherwise who knows who we'd have used when Segeyaro was injured, and we'd have no choice but to play Segs in his current atrocious form.

I'd also be interested in who is going to make Grandpa's 50 tackles with 0 misses (stats from the Melbourne game) in his absence.

I will never cease to be amused with your love of Wallace. I'm happy he is hooker simply because it means he is not stinking it up in the halves.

Here are some stats:

Average running meters/game

2016:
Segeyaro - 74.0
Martin - 55.0
Cleary - 55.0
Wallace - 35.5
Soward - 31.8

2015:
Segeyaro - 69.9
Soward - 32.4
Wallace - 27.4

Yeah, Wallace is great.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Average try assists/Average offloads per game

2016:
Wallace - 0.1/0.3
Soward - 0.3/0.8
Segeyaro - 0.5/1.5

2015:
Wallace - 0.5/0.2
Soward - 0.4/0.4
Segeyaro - 0.2/2.0

tripster

Juniors
What those statistics don't capture is "effectiveness of service from dummy half" which is very difficult to measure in raw numbers. Perhaps the closest thing would be "time between play the ball and receipt by ball carrier" if such a statistic was tracked. There is no doubt at the moment that Wallace
Is doing an excellent job at number 9 and is superior to Segs on current form.

mxlegend99

Referee
Segeyaro hasnt had a decent run at hooker this year. Just asas Taylor didnt get a decent run with us. Wallace has had 10 times the opportunity to look good. He's still average at best though.

Segeyaro is better than Wallace and will kick on at a new club just as Taylor has done.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Segeyaro hasnt had a decent run at hooker this year. Just asas Taylor didnt get a decent run with us. Wallace has had 10 times the opportunity to look good. He's still average at best though.

Segeyaro is better than Wallace and will kick on at a new club just as Taylor has done.

Exactly.

TheFrog

Coach
Segeyaro hasnt had a decent run at hooker this year.

He still has a run at hooker this year, in reserve grade. If he's as good as you say he will carve up in reserves every week and his return to the top spot will be a formality.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen, barring injury. He's now a back-up with first grade experience. Wallace had a much better game today in first grade than he had in reserves yesterday, by all accounts.

I will never cease to be amused with your love of Wallace.

It's not just me, its the coach as well. I just happen to agree with him.

Last edited:

If someone doesn't fit into the coaches system it's a moot point tbh.

Seg has tonnes of ability but the type of player he is means things don't always come off , if the coach wants more structure I can't criticise that decision.

To me Taylor came down to Merrin simply being better. Wasn't room for both.

Whino

Bench
To me Taylor came down to Merrin simply being better. Wasn't room for both.

I agree Merrin being better. But I feel if Cleary was still coach he would have played Merrin at prop (still plays in the middle anyway job doesn't change much) and Taylor at Lock. Taylor was always a Cleary favourite and I would have been surprised if he done things differently.
Griffin is just taking a page out of other coaches playbooks playing 3 props in his starting pack as opposed to having a ball playing or defensive lock.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee

Segeyaro had been pretty awful since last season. Penrith are much better off with Wallace as our hooker.

betcats

Referee
I will never cease to be amused with your love of Wallace. I'm happy he is hooker simply because it means he is not stinking it up in the halves.

Here are some stats:

Average running meters/game

2016:
Segeyaro - 74.0
Martin - 55.0
Cleary - 55.0
Wallace - 35.5
Soward - 31.8

2015:
Segeyaro - 69.9
Soward - 32.4
Wallace - 27.4

Yeah, Wallace is great.

Mick Ennis and Cam Smith are both around 50m per game.

Pretty comprehensive wrap up there Billy those stats really cover the areas that Segeyaro has been bagged for like his decision making and service. Anyone with half a brain could tell you that Segeyaro is a better ballrunner than Wallace that was never the problem, it is his f**ked up decision making and poor service out of dummy half that constantly puts us under pressure.

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Wallace also has an outstanding kicking game from dummy half.

I don't get the Wallace hate. He has been bloody good.

betcats

Referee
Yeah he has been great at hooker. I'd take Kevvy Kingston back at this point over Segeyaro that is for sure.

TheFrog

Coach
Kingston was a tackling machine. Having let Taylor go we could do with one or two of those right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts