What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing we didn't already know but

PANTHERS KEEN TO EXTEND EDWARDS

by Matt Logue

Penrith have hatched a plan to sign rookie fullback Dylan Edwards on a long-term deal.

Edwards has been a sensation for the Panthers this season, starring in his 11 games thus far.

As a successful product of Penrith’s junior system, the club want to extend his contract that expires at the end of 2018.

Panthers chairman Brian Fletcher confirmed Edwards was part of the club’s plans for the future.

The 21-year-old delivered was at his best in Penrith’s win over the Wests Tigers on Sunday – scoring a try and running for a game-high 206 metres.

“Dylan is long-term for sure,” Fletcher told The Sunday Telegraph.

“Phil Gould would be swirling something around in his head – because we have no intention in letting him go anywhere.”

Fletcher also confirmed Penrith were edging closer to extending coach Anthony Griffin, who still has a season to run on his current deal.

“We’ve always looked at him as a long-term coach and in a month we’ll be talking to him for sure,” he said.

“We won’t be waiting until the middle of next year to talk to him put it that way.

“I’m hoping it will be looked at prior to the end of this year.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a/news-story/00459f644ab525ef56bce1131bebd935

OldPanther

Coach
Nothing we didn't already know but

PANTHERS KEEN TO EXTEND EDWARDS

by Matt Logue

Penrith have hatched a plan to sign rookie fullback Dylan Edwards on a long-term deal.

Edwards has been a sensation for the Panthers this season, starring in his 11 games thus far.

As a successful product of Penrith’s junior system, the club want to extend his contract that expires at the end of 2018.

Panthers chairman Brian Fletcher confirmed Edwards was part of the club’s plans for the future.

The 21-year-old delivered was at his best in Penrith’s win over the Wests Tigers on Sunday – scoring a try and running for a game-high 206 metres.

“Dylan is long-term for sure,” Fletcher told The Sunday Telegraph.

“Phil Gould would be swirling something around in his head – because we have no intention in letting him go anywhere.”

Fletcher also confirmed Penrith were edging closer to extending coach Anthony Griffin, who still has a season to run on his current deal.

“We’ve always looked at him as a long-term coach and in a month we’ll be talking to him for sure,” he said.

“We won’t be waiting until the middle of next year to talk to him put it that way.

“I’m hoping it will be looked at prior to the end of this year.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a/news-story/00459f644ab525ef56bce1131bebd935

Good to hear about Edwards. Griffin must be doing something right because he's likely to be extended clearly.

Why would you extend Griffin early though? I mean is he seriously in demand?

It's an outside shot but good chance Craig Bellamy leaves the storm at the end of next year, I'd be offering him a mint.

Doomednow

Bench
Bellamy is the best coach in the game. Surely he won't leave the Storm and it'd be the longest shot to get him at Penrith.

mxlegend99

Referee
St George rushed to re-sign Mary in after a few wins... that worked out well for them.
Bulldogs rushed to sign Des Hasler after a few wins... how many have they won since?

Des Hasler you can understand... he might have clubs lining up for him. But no club is going to chase after Griffin or McGregor. You can wait until their current contract is set to expire and evaluate them and the other options.

Extending now? Youre stuck with them regardless of what other options become available.

MrBlack

Juniors
St George rushed to re-sign Mary in after a few wins... that worked out well for them.
Bulldogs rushed to sign Des Hasler after a few wins... how many have they won since?

Des Hasler you can understand... he might have clubs lining up for him. But no club is going to chase after Griffin or McGregor. You can wait until their current contract is set to expire and evaluate them and the other options.

Extending now? Youre stuck with them regardless of what other options become available.

I think the strategy here is to tie up the spine and the coach longer term. The spine is certainly coming together nicely and the powers that be obviously think Griffin is the man to manage it going forward.

It looks similar to the Melbourne setup. Long term spine, same coach.

chrisD

Coach
Griffin tends to get things right eventually, just a year or two late. Moylan is 5/8, RCG is on the bench and Cartwright is playing lock. How many coaches would never get it right? No-one else in the club for the past 6 or whatever years was able to work out Cartwright was a lock.

I don't know. He does geniused shit but maybe he does less geniused shit, or maybe the geniused shit he does is less harmful than what other coaches would do.

There's like four elite coaches and the rest is harm minimisation.

ashton

Juniors
I think the strategy here is to tie up the spine and the coach longer term. The spine is certainly coming together nicely and the powers that be obviously think Griffin is the man to manage it going forward.

It looks similar to the Melbourne setup. Long term spine, same coach.
But Bellamy can coach Griffin can't coach.

OldPanther

Coach
Griffin seems to be better when he has help. Just always have someone there to handle a bit of the load.

From Market watch:

PENRITH PANTHERS

Sitaleki Akauola, Darren Nicholls

New deal: Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (until end of 2020), Dean Wahre (until 2021 with player option for 2022), Viliame Kikau (until end of 2019), Corey Harawira-Naera (until 2020), Sione Katoa (until 2019)

Leaving: Andy Saunders (Immediate release to Bulldogs until end of 2017), Zach Dockar-Clay (released to Hull KR until 2018), Malakai Watene-Zelezniak (immediate release to Tigers until end of 2018), Te Maire Martin (immediate release to Cowboys until 2019), Sami Langi (released), Peta Hiku (released), Michael Oldfield (immediate release to Canberra until end of 2018)

https://out.reddit.com/t3_6shzyf?ur...aKmjRahlnPvC_2FusjuMBwGxX&app_name=reddit.com

MrBlack

Juniors
But Bellamy can coach Griffin can't coach.

Not sure this is true. We have a rookie spine (Wallace a rookie hooker).

Sure we struggled early in the season but look at the last 2 months. We are finding ways to win.

After the start we had this year we shouldn't be anywhere near the 8 now, let alone in it.

Bellamy is the best coach in the game. Surely he won't leave the Storm and it'd be the longest shot to get him at Penrith.

Fwiw Paul Kent (yes I know) is saying he's unhappy at the storm since they were sold.

Plus does he really want to rebuild the club from the ground up?

I know it's a long shot but I think the club would be negligent if they didn't at least make an approach.

Not sure this is true. We have a rookie spine (Wallace a rookie hooker).

Sure we struggled early in the season but look at the last 2 months. We are finding ways to win.

After the start we had this year we shouldn't be anywhere near the 8 now, let alone in it.

What do you make of his performance at the Broncos then?

MrBlack

Juniors

He did develop players there. Who knows (I'm not claiming to be an expert here), but maybe the work he did there is paying dividends now??

Some coaches are better suited to some clubs - look at Bennet (Knights vs Broncos), Elliott was a good coach at Canberra (consistently made the finals) but the same coaching got him nowhere at Penrith.

I'm not saying Griffin is the best coach in the NRL (far from it) but he maybe our best option now and his style might be better suited to a team developing something longer term.

martielang

Bench

What relevance does that have to our side today though? Very little.

He got a pass last year & (IMO) is likely to get another pass this year despite a lot of off-field issues outside his control, yet people want to hang their hat on something that happened 3 - 5 years ago at a totally different club in a totally different environment to ours? Players, coaches, and people in general learn a lot & improve with time, I can't see how Griffin would be any different.

Seems to me a lot of his role here is about man management. Not one player has left which we wanted to keep & many have re-signed for unders. Tells me he's doing a great job on that front.

Our attack is still a long way from where we want to be but at the same time it's moving in the right direction at the right time of the year.

MrBlack

Juniors
Seems to me a lot of his role here is about man management. Not one player has left which we wanted to keep & many have re-signed for unders. Tells me he's doing a great job on that front.

Our squad is the second youngest in the NRL (Newcastle only marginally younger). We have no "journeymen" or "stop gap" players. Wallace the only player who may fit into that category, but he is still there on form (barring injury would have played Origin).

Slow start to the year, off field dramas, yet still in the mix.

franklin2323

Immortal
How many coaches have had a 60% win record here? This year has had many problems yet here we are in the 8 with 4 rounds left.

Tamou, Merrin and Wallace are the only ones to play the same position every game. So atleast unlike Ivan he is moving things around.

We have most of our squad signed until end of 2019. So I guess the coach for as long makes sense

MrBlack

Juniors
I know his tactics are coming into question a lot. But what he has done is get the team winning when we are playing bad. We are far from our best but still finding a way to win. Surely the coach has to get credit for that.

He himself had said that we have issues on the 5th tackle, not playing full 80 mins, but we are winning.

TheFrog

Coach
I know it's a long shot but I think the club would be negligent if they didn't at least make an approach.
If Bellamy were to become available every club would make him an offer. The Raiders would dump Sticky for him. The Broncos might even give Benny the keys to the local nursing home for him. Long shot doesn't quite cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.