What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bellamy were to become available every club would make him an offer. The Raiders would dump Sticky for him. The Broncos might even give Benny the keys to the local nursing home for him. Long shot doesn't quite cover it.

Sure but there's no logical reason for re-signing Griffin early. Keep our options open.

What relevance does that have to our side today though? Very little.

He got a pass last year & (IMO) is likely to get another pass this year despite a lot of off-field issues outside his control, yet people want to hang their hat on something that happened 3 - 5 years ago at a totally different club in a totally different environment to ours? Players, coaches, and people in general learn a lot & improve with time, I can't see how Griffin would be any different.

Seems to me a lot of his role here is about man management. Not one player has left which we wanted to keep & many have re-signed for unders. Tells me he's doing a great job on that front.

Our attack is still a long way from where we want to be but at the same time it's moving in the right direction at the right time of the year.

It's relevant to his ability as a coach.

He did develop players there. Who knows (I'm not claiming to be an expert here), but maybe the work he did there is paying dividends now??

Some coaches are better suited to some clubs - look at Bennet (Knights vs Broncos), Elliott was a good coach at Canberra (consistently made the finals) but the same coaching got him nowhere at Penrith.

I'm not saying Griffin is the best coach in the NRL (far from it) but he maybe our best option now and his style might be better suited to a team developing something longer term.

Only thing he appears good at to me is bringing young guys through.

He's got little tactical nous.

If he remains our coach I hope we can get someone on board who can teach the players how to create a try. It's been the exact same story here as at the Broncos, just throw the ball around and hope. That'll beat rubbish teams but you won't win a premiership & beat good teams like that. And our record shows it.

mxlegend99

Referee
We have beaten one top 8 side so far this year, and they were in terrible form at the time. Broncos fans said that this is exactly what Griffin did with them. He beat the bottom sides most of the time, lost to the top 8 sides and his team was completely irrelevant come finals time aside from his one season with Darren Lockyer.

We still haven't made the top 8 yet this year. From here we should scrape in there... but how exactly is scraping into the to 8 a successful season? Why does that get rewarded?

If we accept that as successful and reward the coach for it... how are we ever going to be better than a fringe top 8 side? Bulldogs haven't missed the finals once under Hasler before this year, and he looks likely to be sacked because they have higher standards then us. Broncos didn't want to hold onto Bennett back in 2009 because they thought he wasn't doing a good enough job. Sea Eagles sacked Toovey after one poor season ravaged with injuries and both halves creating a huge circus off the field. Successful clubs expect more than just being a fringe top 8 side. You can't win a premiership if you can't even compete with the better sides.

OldPanther

Coach
What relevance does that have to our side today though? Very little.

He got a pass last year & (IMO) is likely to get another pass this year despite a lot of off-field issues outside his control, yet people want to hang their hat on something that happened 3 - 5 years ago at a totally different club in a totally different environment to ours? Players, coaches, and people in general learn a lot & improve with time, I can't see how Griffin would be any different.

Seems to me a lot of his role here is about man management. Not one player has left which we wanted to keep & many have re-signed for unders. Tells me he's doing a great job on that front.

Our attack is still a long way from where we want to be but at the same time it's moving in the right direction at the right time of the year.

I just think he needs a good assistant. Someone who can come in like the Rooster have that can help give direction to the attack.

BxTom

Bench
I think to be fair, you have to consider the rumours surrounding TMM. None of us know the truth, but if what was rumoured to have happened did happen, it would unsettle the team big time and there is no way a coach can be responsible for that to have happened. Griffin is not perfect by any means, but he's not as bad as the doom and gloom merchants are making out. If we had a better start we would be top 4. As to the rummour, there is a lot of smoke in the least with an explanation that many here do not except.

Tom.

OldPanther

Coach
Help from injuries. Can anyone honestly say Edwards wouldn't be in reserve grade with Moylan at 1 if Cartwright hadn't gotten injured?

To be fair to the club I think they were expecting TMM to come good and things went south so he went back to what took us to the finals last year. It was a knee jerk reaction but I can understand going back to something that worked. In saying that I would've made the change with Moylan to 6 and Edwards 1 as soon as Martin was done.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think to be fair, you have to consider the rumours surrounding TMM. None of us know the truth, but if what was rumoured to have happened did happen, it would unsettle the team big time and there is no way a coach can be responsible for that to have happened. Griffin is not perfect by any means, but he's not as bad as the doom and gloom merchants are making out. If we had a better start we would be top 4. As to the rummour, there is a lot of smoke in the least with an explanation that many here do not except.

Tom.
Trust me BX the rumours about TMM were totally fictitious or more to the point just plain BS.

mxlegend99

Referee
The thing is... if the TMM rumours were bullshit. Why the f**k did we release him?

If they are true... thats a no brainer. He needs to be gone. Sadly.

If he didnt do it. Releasing him is about the worst decision made in years. Even if he wasnt the success we wanted at half, hes a terrific backup option or even better IMO he was always the ideal bench option. Get him playing a bit of hooker off the bench and have him as a super sub.

Cowboys will almost certainly do that next year and you watch how good he is at it.

Its just impossible to comprehend we would strengthen another team by offloading such a talented player who was on bugger all if he didnt do something terribly wrong. He could end up being the difference in this game and if he is that could cost us a top 8 spot.

betcats

Referee
Something definitely happened with TMM imo. You don't just give up on a prospect like him after a handful of games after training with him in the halves all offseason.

Royce is King

Juniors
FFS.... This old chestnut.... Griffin has had 1 full season and made the finals... and had everybody in the game talking about how we played during the finals and everybody ... Fans of our club and fans of every other club were stoked with how we went. As i have said before ..... Griffin is the only coach in our history to take the team to the semi finals in his 1st attempt with a team that missed out the previous year.

At the moment we are in the 8.... if we make the finals at a quick guess he would be the 1st coach since John Lang 13 yrs ago to make the finals 2 yrs straight. The bloke has been outstanding in bringing in young talent and the fact that our whole team is signed long term has to be a positive for the guy.

A few people on here have dead set made their minds up that the guy cant coach..... I could not give 2 F$#%S about his record in Brisbane the guy IMO has a steady head .... and Phil Gould rates him... good enough for me.

And its easy for the for the negative ones on here to say ' get rid of Griffin' ..... but tell me who are you honestly going to get? I say extend him.... you can see our team is only going to keep improving.

Im sure fans of the Bulldogs and Titans would have him in a second.

snickers007

Juniors
FFS.... This old chestnut.... Griffin has had 1 full season and made the finals... and had everybody in the game talking about how we played during the finals and everybody ... Fans of our club and fans of every other club were stoked with how we went. As i have said before ..... Griffin is the only coach in our history to take the team to the semi finals in his 1st attempt with a team that missed out the previous year.

At the moment we are in the 8.... if we make the finals at a quick guess he would be the 1st coach since John Lang 13 yrs ago to make the finals 2 yrs straight. The bloke has been outstanding in bringing in young talent and the fact that our whole team is signed long term has to be a positive for the guy.

A few people on here have dead set made their minds up that the guy cant coach..... I could not give 2 F$#%S about his record in Brisbane the guy IMO has a steady head .... and Phil Gould rates him... good enough for me.

And its easy for the for the negative ones on here to say ' get rid of Griffin' ..... but tell me who are you honestly going to get? I say extend him.... you can see our team is only going to keep improving.

Get out of here with your logic, statistics and perspective. Witch hunts require none of that nonsense.

OldPanther

Coach
Something definitely happened with TMM imo. You don't just give up on a prospect like him after a handful of games after training with him in the halves all offseason.

How likely is it they gave into pressure from members about moving Moylan to 6? Especially if behind the scenes Moylan wanted it as well and it created a bit of an issue.

betcats

Referee
How likely is it they gave into pressure from members about moving Moylan to 6? Especially if behind the scenes Moylan wanted it as well and it created a bit of an issue.

Not likely at all imo.

Green. Robinson. Maguire. Flanno. The last four coaches to win a premiership were at their first NRL head coaching gig you don't need to have Bellamy ready to come in before you move on your coach.

Sitting in 8th at this point is well below where we should be, f**king well below it. Beaten 1 top 8 team all year. Wait till this time next year and decide if we want to extend him why would you rush it? He's not in demand at all. We finished 6th last season btw so if we finish below that we haven't improved, we've gone backwards.

This is the second year in a row we've had to make massive changes to whatever Griffin was doing originally to get out the bottom four, I mean he had it all his way this offseason and we came out unprepared and playing a terrible brand of footy.

Last edited:
TMM was never going to work out once Cleary showed he was a first grade half. So maybe the rumours aren't true and Gus just let him walk but to do so before the end of the year is incompetent.......if the rumours aren't true

Nealo 12

Bench
TMM was never going to work out once Cleary showed he was a first grade half. So maybe the rumours aren't true and Gus just let him walk but to do so before the end of the year is incompetent.......if the rumours aren't true

Who knows it could of been an upgrade clause coming into play after being chosen by the K1W1's

OldPanther

Coach

If you are right it means Gus is going full Game of Thrones ruthless in having Cleary be our halfback. Up to and including punting Ivan which is actually believable.

Royce is King

Juniors
Betcats..... i get you don't rate Griffin ... But your argument is flawed.... You think we should be so much higher on the ladder than we are.... Well what about the Bulldogs, The Raiders, Rabbits, and the Warriors..... with the talent and coaching names the above teams have do you think 'they are where they should be'. ..... Yeh honestly answer that.

And if we beat the cowboys this week we are ahead of them.... Betcats a while ago i argued that the Broncos have failed because with all the money, third party agreements, ...basically a whole state behind them.... they have failed because they have not one a comp in over 10 years. Well the ' ANTI GRIFFIN CREW' argued at least Bennett always made the finals........... well WTF IS Griffin on target to do at our club..... but hey the second youngest team in the comp should never have brain faid's always should win when expected too.... should i go on.

Our last game of 2015 was a wooden spoon play off against Newcastle.. we were lucky to win. In not even 2 full seasons we have come a long way. Betcats have a look at how happy that group of players are.... This team is going places and Griffin has played a big part in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.