What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal

Juniors
Luke Priddis was the NSW hooker when we signed him

But you don’t need to sign just stars. There’s good quality first graders out there that are going to be better than some of our juniors.

Take the signing of Scott Sattler or Joe Gulavao
And the three mentioned in the 80's were all stars. Their addition to the club put paid to the old Penrith excuse that it was too far to travel to Penrith.
Even mid tier players will travel to play for successful clubs, look at Melbourne for example, I'm sure some of their recruits have moved there for less or equal money just to be in a successful setup.

franklin2323

Immortal
Luke Priddis was the NSW hooker when we signed him

But you don’t need to sign just stars. There’s good quality first graders out there that are going to be better than some of our juniors.

Take the signing of Scott Sattler or Joe Gulavao

Galuvao had 27 games before he came to Penrith

Sattler made his debut in 92. Had 63 games in 7 seasons across 4 clubs before he came to us. Some would call him a plodder

So still hardly signing elite players. They were players to fit holes and compliment what was already here

betcats

Referee
Hardly any clubs can attract lots of rep quality players, it’s better to look at the mid tier bargains.

Gus’ 80% goal I believe put the blinkers on, he signed up local talent to long term deals that restricted our ability to go to the market.

We do look at mid tier signings, go and look at Goulds signing history that is the type of signing he chased the most. Guys like Mansour, Tmm, Seggy, even Sowie and Wallace. We had heaps of those. Id say Api is another.

His 80 percent wasn't local juniors, it was any juniors that debuted here. JFH, Edwards and others all count in that. Its not an unreasonable target for our club considering what has just been invested in our juniors. Even the roosters this year had 10 or 11 of their GF team make their NRL debut at the roosters.

The yak

Juniors
Having a well respected coach like Bennett would have probably helped us attract players, screwing over the Tigers just to bring back Ivan really has more ramifications than a lot of us think.

I suggested that a month ago.
Ivan's lack of success and the way he left the Tigers could be deemed as two red crosses against him.
Glenn and Walker have both rejected us. To be fair to the club though both didn't really want to leave their current clubs.

Lets be honest we are not going to recruit superstars. So we need to aim for the next rung down. Further more make sure the few special players we have from our juniors develop into stars that we keep.

Coastal

Juniors
Having a well respected coach like Bennett would have probably helped us attract players, screwing over the Tigers just to bring back Ivan really has more ramifications than a lot of us think.
The coaching is the biggest issue at the club.
Penrith have always had extremely good junior sides through all grades, it was easy enough to keep them in the nest due to their age and their inability for the family to uproot home and move elsewhere, because lets be honest all really good junior players don't end up playing first grade and people wouldn't normally go anywhere on a kids dream. Its the transition from juniors to seniors that is set by the coach that determines the has from the have nots. Penrith have signed a coach with a less than 50% winning record, or we should say re-signed, where they apparently had the opportunity to sign one of the greatest coaches in the games history.

Sattler made his debut in 92. Had 63 games in 7 seasons across 4 clubs before he came to us. Some would call him a plodder

So still hardly signing elite players. They were players to fit holes and compliment what was already here

That’s what I said.

I wasn’t calling either of those guys elite, I was saying you don’t need to sign only elite players.

franklin2323

Immortal
That’s what I said.

I wasn’t calling either of those guys elite, I was saying you don’t need to sign only elite players.

I agree with that. I never once said we should sign no one just that I don't see any of the big name off contract guys changing clubs

Last edited:
We do look at mid tier signings, go and look at Goulds signing history that is the type of signing he chased the most. Guys like Mansour, Tmm, Seggy, even Sowie and Wallace. We had heaps of those. Id say Api is another.

His 80 percent wasn't local juniors, it was any juniors that debuted here. JFH, Edwards and others all count in that. Its not an unreasonable target for our club considering what has just been invested in our juniors. Even the roosters this year had 10 or 11 of their GF team make their NRL debut at the roosters.

The signings dried up in the last 3 years. That’s the point I was making.

Yes, before that he signed plenty.

I know his 80% goal wasn’t just juniors, I mentioned that in my post last night in reply to Alice. I still believe the 80% goal is fantasy land stuff. It would require amazing talent ID in order for it to translate to being a regularly successful team. Picking who’s going to go on to be a successful first grader before they’ve debuted would be very difficult. Many a player has looked good in junior ranks only to be a bust in FG. And vice verse, some who’ve looked average in the juniors go on to be successful in FG.

It’s weird to me that Gus managed to sign many players in his early years here, and then decided to go for this 80% debutant goal. The two things seem at odds with each other. Especially when you consider how successful the 2014 team was on the back of outside signings.

Players are moving clubs more frequently in the past, Penrith won’t have much trouble attracting mid tier talent. He managed to do it, we just recently beat out other clubs to Api’s signature.

Juniors/debutants are a really important part of the Panthers DNA, but I really feel he made a mistake in going for this 80% goal. By signing up guys like RCG, Cartwright, Moylan, Blake etc to long term deals it limited the clubs potential to be active in the player market. He was seemingly obsessed with the local/debutant talent in recent years.

betcats

Referee
It’s weird to me that Gus managed to sign many players in his early years here, and then decided to go for this 80% debutant goal. The two things seem at odds with each other. Especially when you consider how successful the 2014 team was on the back of outside signings.

Players are moving clubs more frequently in the past, Penrith won’t have much trouble attracting mid tier talent. He managed to do it, we just recently beat out other clubs to Api’s signature.

Juniors/debutants are a really important part of the Panthers DNA, but I really feel he made a mistake in going for this 80% goal. By signing up guys like RCG, Cartwright, Moylan, Blake etc to long term deals it limited the clubs potential to be active in the player market. He was seemingly obsessed with the local/debutant talent in recent years.

80 percent was his stated goal from the start. He spoke about this more then once, he couldn't just do it overnight with the juniors not being in a great state when he arrived and our salary cap issues back then.

The last 3 years id say we signed less players because we went after guys like Tamou, Merrin and Maloney(current rep players) who took up bigger chunks of the salary cap then bargain signings.

We are currently producing mid tier NRL talents like no other club, why would we keep signing them in the same numbers as when we were not producing all that talent(2011,2012 etc)?

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm glad you picked that up, I didn't want to reply..Blinkers off ( franklin)

My original reply was:

Big signings rarely change clubs no matter how well the club is run. I think some people aimed to high. As is the case with most teams for us to be a force the young guys are key

I don't count Sattler or any of those in 2003 as big signings. Nor do I think we would of won the comp without the young guys that stepped up.

My point was Api fits what we need. If we choose wisely for the remaining spots then who knows where the team can end up.

Even the Roosters had guys like Manu, Latrell take the step from talented junior to elite player

Coastal

Juniors
My original reply was:

Big signings rarely change clubs no matter how well the club is run. I think some people aimed to high. As is the case with most teams for us to be a force the young guys are key

I don't count Sattler or any of those in 2003 as big signings. Nor do I think we would of won the comp without the young guys that stepped up.

My point was Api fits what we need. If we choose wisely for the remaining spots then who knows where the team can end up.

Even the Roosters had guys like Manu, Latrell take the step from talented junior to elite player
My original reply was:

Coastal

Juniors

Herbert said in his reply to your initial quote that the signings weren't elite signings. And you went on to confirm what he had already said.

franklin2323

Immortal
Herbert said in his reply to your initial quote that the signings weren't elite signings. And you went on to confirm what he had already said.

And what was my original post? I said elite players don't change clubs and it is the kids that are key for everyone that wins the comp... Where did I say only kids is the way forward?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

I'm fairly sure that Gus spoke about his goal early on. (I think in his first couple of months of being here) It was the 80% local juniors (blokes that made their debut at the club) The others were signed originally as fill ins till this happened. I.e. Kite, Newton etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts