What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal

Juniors
And what was my original post? I said elite players don't change clubs and it is the kids that are key for everyone that wins the comp... Where did I say only kids is the way forward?
mate I'm not about to go searching back to what you said and when you said it, you seem to contradict yourself constantly, you might need to read what people say initially.

franklin2323

Immortal
mate I'm not about to go searching back to what you said and when you said it, you seem to contradict yourself constantly, you might need to read what people say initially.

Original post mentioned big signings... Yes or no?

I can only think that with what has happened at the club over the past 18 months, that either player managers or players themselves see Penrith as a club with cultural problems. With the departures of Moylan, Cartwright (both signalled as the future of the club), the indiscretions of May and Philips, the early departures of DWZ and RCG, the resignation of Gould and the circus that emanated from the coaching fiasco, has shed a dim light on the club. I cant see it as a club at the moment, that any high profile player would want to be associated with. Yes there are probably reasons that we are unaware of, that would have contributed to the big loss of players, but I'm sure that any potential big signings would rather err on the side of caution.

Sime_11

Juniors
I think its fair to say look at Canberra's culture and what they are achieving now, Canberra would be as unappealing as Penrith is IMO... players like Tedesco & Mansour rejected them after agreeing initially, they were able to get their shit together and put together a team capable of winning the comp (and they almost did), and that team is now stacked with elite players.

I felt that we would have been an attractive club to come to going off previous seasons form, but the off season for 2018/2019 occurred and now we are in this position, we've gotta earn that right back to be appealing.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I think its fair to say look at Canberra's culture and what they are achieving now, Canberra would be as unappealing as Penrith is IMO... players like Tedesco & Mansour rejected them after agreeing initially, they were able to get their shit together and put together a team capable of winning the comp (and they almost did), and that team is now stacked with elite players.

I felt that we would have been an attractive club to come to going off previous seasons form, but the off season for 2018/2019 occurred and now we are in this position, we've gotta earn that right back to be appealing.
This year was a fluke really, those halves shouldn't ever make a GF

Pomoz

Bench
Exactly.
Late 80' brought in Kelly, Mortimer and Gerard, as I had mentioned. ( all internationals)
The 2003 team had Campbell ( dally M winner) Girdler, Lang, Priddis, Sattler, Wesser. Three quarters of the spine not being local juniors.
Wesser debuted with the Panthers. He fits the definition of local junior. As Betcats said, the Roosters had 9/17 in 2002 and 10 out of 17 in 2013 and 2018. In 2019 19 of 29 players are local juniors. The development model works if you transition them to a senior player properly in a positive culture.

This is what the Roosters do better than us and most other clubs, transition people from junior to senior. Something goes wrong with us. If Bennett or Bellamy were coaching RCG, Carwright and Moylan we might have got a different outcome. They have the talent, but not the mental fortitude. The Panthers small country town feel where theses guys are local heroes might be what works against us. Maybe our juniors are too egotistiical because they are big fish in the small pond of Penrith. Who knows, but it is broken and it won't be fixed by Mr average himself, Ivan Cleary.

Coastal

Juniors
Original post mentioned big signings... Yes or no?
Are you on drugs?..and you get a clap from Alice who obviously has no idea either, but to downvote whatever I say..lmao the pair of you.. if you want to reference a comment frank..get the right comment.

Coastal

Juniors
Are you on drugs?..and you get a clap from Alice who obviously has no idea either, but to downvote whatever I say..lmao the pair of you.. if you want to reference a comment frank..get the right comment.
Herbert corrected you on your reply to a comment he made, you tried to correct him but made a goose of yourself at the same time..I'm no idiot but Herbert definitely made you out to be in such a subtle way.

age.s

First Grade

Canberra is a good example of how it can be done. They've found a different path to success. They gave a chance to a few talented Englishmen looking for a shot and it's made the place more attractive for others. Bateman has said that part of choosing Canberra was that he knew people at the club. They also took some chances that paid off (CNK, Wighton at 6) which paid off. Throw in a few bad boys looking for opportunity (BJ, Tapine), talented juniors (Cotric, Simonssen) and rejects come good (Sezer, Soliola) and you have their squad. Papalii is their only real marquee player and he debuted there, Rapana has played all but 5 NRL games with them. It absolutely can be done.

It'll be interesting to see if they can hold it together, but in all honesty they've been pretty close for a few years now. There's no single way to assemble a quality squad as a few here seem to think.

Coastal

Juniors
Forgot to change accounts?
Haha I only have the one..how is that a relevant reply to my comment?. I read it all champ..and I know what Ive said and when I've said it. Do you want me to pick holes in the comment about Canberra you have just made?

Coastal

Juniors
Canberra is a good example of how it can be done. They've found a different path to success. They gave a chance to a few talented Englishmen looking for a shot and it's made the place more attractive for others. Bateman has said that part of choosing Canberra was that he knew people at the club. They also took some chances that paid off (CNK, Wighton at 6) which paid off. Throw in a few bad boys looking for opportunity (BJ, Tapine), talented juniors (Cotric, Simonssen) and rejects come good (Sezer, Soliola) and you have their squad. Papalii is their only real marquee player and he debuted there, Rapana has played all but 5 NRL games with them. It absolutely can be done.

It'll be interesting to see if they can hold it together, but in all honesty they've been pretty close for a few years now. There's no single way to assemble a quality squad as a few here seem to think.
Penrith have been close for a couple of years..what is your personal opinion that they didn't make the 8 this year?

I'm fairly sure that Gus spoke about his goal early on. (I think in his first couple of months of being here) It was the 80% local juniors (blokes that made their debut at the club) The others were signed originally as fill ins till this happened. I.e. Kite, Newton etc.

He may well have, but once signing players proved successful it’s odd he wouldn’t pivot.

Gus is very old school, I think that’s a big part of where his 80% goal came from. Plus he admired the broncos set up which tries to do similar. But I think this ignores where the game has gone. Players are changing clubs much more frequently.

In fact I think it’s arguable Brisbane have paid the price for this policy too. This is the leanest run in their history, their strategy of concentrating on youngsters has been interrupted by the Melbourne Storm & Gold Coast Titans also recruiting heavily out of SE QLD.

ie. the strategy worked for Brisbane when they had all of SE QLD to themselves. I think Gus missed that key point.

Also the early signings weren’t just fill ins. He signed guys like Whare, Lewis Brown, Taylor, Manu etc. These were good quality first graders

franklin2323

Immortal

You are doing a great job down voting it yourself the fact you can't answer a simple question up

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You are doing a great job down voting it yourself the fact you can't answer a simple question up

deleted. To be honest I don't want to deal with the carry on. Coastal I couldn't give a fig whether you rate my footy knowledge or not. :p.

I have a weird belief it's that everyone is capable of good ideas at times. :) Even me.

betcats

Referee
He may well have, but once signing players proved successful it’s odd he wouldn’t pivot.

Gus is very old school, I think that’s a big part of where his 80% goal came from. Plus he admired the broncos set up which tries to do similar. But I think this ignores where the game has gone. Players are changing clubs much more frequently.

In fact I think it’s arguable Brisbane have paid the price for this policy too. This is the leanest run in their history, their strategy of concentrating on youngsters has been interrupted by the Melbourne Storm & Gold Coast Titans also recruiting heavily out of SE QLD.

ie. the strategy worked for Brisbane when they had all of SE QLD to themselves. I think Gus missed that key point.

Also the early signings weren’t just fill ins. He signed guys like Whare, Lewis Brown, Taylor, Manu etc. These were good quality first graders

Look at Melbourne and the roosters, they develop more players than they sign. Both have well over half of their top squads debut at the club. I don't really see why 80 percent is such a large number in your opinion. We have more juniors then anyone to chose from and we have less buying power then Melb or the roosters, I really think Gus was on to the recipe for our success, the fact he gave out some bad contracts to some juniors doesn't make the plan wrong, poorly executed perhaps.

The only difference between Goulds plan and what the best two clubs are doing is that we have local juniors to manage and pick from, a lot of them. Melbourne and the roosters don't, they do all their best recruiting before players have hit FG, but they are signing kids and developing them themselves a bloody lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.