What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPanther

Coach
I can see how much of a risk it is but latrell is such a rare talent.
Give him the $$$ and strap ourselves in for the roller coaster.
Our team is so boring at the moment we need some spark. Put him next to kikau and let them cause havic

He is a rare talent but he is lazy and has attitude problems and hes looking for more than 800k to play centre, lacking spark or being boring isn't a good reason to give out bad contracts imo. Lets not be desperate and look for a quick or easy fix, be disciplined and look for value and build a good, winning culture. Discipline starts in the front office, throwing money at Latrell when we know he is probably not worth it just isn't good management, its the type of management that brought us the Elliot years IMO.

I agree with being disciplined with contracts etc. At the same tine the idea of him playing outside Kikau is mouth watering.

kinghippo

Juniors
I think he will come good. He acts like the 22 year old he is.
His maturity will land in the next few years and I think whichever team decides to weather the storm will see some great results.
As far as the $$$ go, who cares? Results are what we want.
It’s not like we have marquee players lining up at the door.
There is always so much talk about contract $$ but it really is irrelevant.
People talk about the cap as if it’s their own money.
There is so much gray area that nobody knows what is going on with finances. We were poor last year, apparently rich now if you believe the press.
Manly can apparently manage 3 million dollar contracts, the roosters can give all their players a million.
The only thing that the large contract effects is how much crap they get off supporters.

age.s

First Grade
Wait how do the Tigers have money all of a sudden? They were drowning in cap problems (Matulino, McQueen, Reynolds, Packer) last I heard. Matulino is resolved but you'd think there's still more water under that bridge before you can look at dumping $1.1m per annum on Latrell.

And yes, agree with others who say he's not worth it.

betcats

Referee
I think he will come good. He acts like the 22 year old he is.
His maturity will land in the next few years and I think whichever team decides to weather the storm will see some great results.
As far as the $$$ go, who cares? Results are what we want.
It’s not like we have marquee players lining up at the door.
There is always so much talk about contract $$ but it really is irrelevant.
People talk about the cap as if it’s their own money.
There is so much gray area that nobody knows what is going on with finances. We were poor last year, apparently rich now if you believe the press.
Manly can apparently manage 3 million dollar contracts, the roosters can give all their players a million.
The only thing that the large contract effects is how much crap they get off supporters.

There are lots of 20,21,22 year old rugby league players who carry themselves in a far more professional manner than Latrell, he is not acting like your typical 22 yo NRL player when he is out there bludging or brushing BRad Fittler months after origin because he dropped him. He is acting like he has an attitude problem. Typical 22 year old NRL players would've been punted by every club for doing what Latrell did last season if they weren't rare talents.

kinghippo

Juniors
If a professional club like the Chooks can't keep his ego in check I hold little hope for other clubs.
Seems to me he is after a big pay day.
That is not the correct line of thought he should be in. At his age and talent he should be asking himself who will get the best out of my talent right now, and will I be happy there.
That is not us the Dogs or Tigers right now.
I agree with all your points.
Latrell probably is looking for a payday, former origin and Australian centre, 22 years old with his best in front of him. Looking at contracts like Bird he probably feels he is there abouts.
His manager has probably convinced him he is worth 2 million.
The sad thing about our club as you say is we all seem to agree we are not going to get the best out of anyone. Hopefully we can change that.

kinghippo

Juniors
There are lots of 20,21,22 year old rugby league players who carry themselves in a far more professional manner than Latrell, he is not acting like your typical 22 yo NRL player when he is out there bludging or brushing BRad Fittler months after origin because he dropped him. He is acting like he has an attitude problem. Typical 22 year old NRL players would've been punted by every club for doing what Latrell did last season if they weren't rare talents.
What did he do to deserve getting punted?
He had a hot and cold season and played poorly in origin.
The only other 21 year old in the comp that even comes close to what he has done is ponga who has also fallen out of favour with fans.
He wasn’t a super star every week so just like latrell people are calling for his head.

betcats

Referee
What did he do to deserve getting punted?
He had a hot and cold season and played poorly in origin.
The only other 21 year old in the comp that even comes close to what he has done is ponga who has also fallen out of favour with fans.
He wasn’t a super star every week so just like latrell people are calling for his head.

He went MIA after origin 1 and went out taree and missed a week instead of going back to the roosters. And Latrells bad games weren't just him not standing out, the guy goes from playing the game of his life in round 6 this year and literally a week later he is kicking the ball away every time he gets it, not running, not chasing not at all interested, the week after he absolutely destroyed the tigers. He bludges during an origin game, watches his opposite number run past him with the ball and he turns and walks, same thing in the first half of the GF, I just cant justify paying him more than 800k. I'd give that to ponga despite Ponga one or two disinterested games himself, he has not ever been known as Lazy or anything else and looks like he is in close to top shape, Latrell does not IMO.

Last edited:

Sime_11

Juniors
Can’t argue with Latrell wanting to get as much $$$ as he can - his football career is only limited time, but as soon as he gets that payday - he won’t be the same Latrell and as soon as the problems start with his form, it’s gonna bring the club down and constant media stories

thanks but no thanks

kinghippo

Juniors
He went MIA after origin 1 and went out taree and missed a week instead of going back to the roosters. And Latrells bad games weren't just him not standing out, the guy goes from playing the game of his life in round 6 this year and literally a week later he is kicking the ball away every time he gets it, not running, not chasing not at all interested, the week after he absolutely destroyed the tigers. He bludges during an origin game, watches his opposite number run past him with the ball and he turns and walks, same thing in the first half of the GF, I just cant justify paying him more than 800k. I'd give that to ponga despite Ponga one or two disinterested games himself, he has not ever been known as Lazy or anything else and looks like he is in close to top shape, Latrell does not IMO.
Harsh.
Roosters said they gave him time off after origin because he was wasn’t coping well and had some family issues.
I can see the not worth the money argument but getting sacked is over the top.
He just didn’t handle the origin crap from supporters as well as Cleary did, who is also apparently not worth a million.

betcats

Referee
Harsh.
Roosters said they gave him time off after origin because he was wasn’t coping well and had some family issues.
I can see the not worth the money argument but getting sacked is over the top.
He just didn’t handle the origin crap from supporters as well as Cleary did, who is also apparently not worth a million.

Seems like he doesn’t take set backs well which speaks to his mental toughness. If he played alright in origin 1 and got dropped that’s one thing, but he didn’t. He played like a lazy merkin who doesn’t care and he got dropped fairly and he is still spitting the dummy about it.

Wait how do the Tigers have money all of a sudden? They were drowning in cap problems (Matulino, McQueen, Reynolds, Packer) last I heard. Matulino is resolved but you'd think there's still more water under that bridge before you can look at dumping $1.1m per annum on Latrell.

And yes, agree with others who say he's not worth it.

Ben Matulino got medically retired, plus they lost matterson & marsters.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Question for those in the we want Latrell camp.
A few stories this year has been his desire to play 5/8 in the future. Could be next year or could be in a few years time.
Would you pay him a Million to play 5/8 here?

BossleyPanther

Juniors
A few stories this year has been his desire to play 5/8 in the future. Could be next year or could be in a few years time.

You can't really say without him playing that position a few months.

MrBlack

Juniors

Walker looks on the outer at Souths. I expect Mitchell to play #6 for them. TBH I would be gobsmacked if we signed Mitchell. Not really the kind of signing we do.

More likely is that we end up with Walker here for less than what Mitchell will cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts