What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
It's no more risk than a grubber possibly going dead. The danger of a 7 tackle set is still there and happens regularly. Honestly I'm in favour of the rule because it was always supposed to be about player welfare anyway but there is an inherent advantage to the attacking team and especially those teams with good kickers and tall outside backs. Toupou from Roosters is already virtually unstoppable in the air.

Anyway everyone's main point of contention is Mansour's weakness more than anything which is already there anyway being a shorty.

It is definitely more risky than a grubber. Grubbers can’t be caught on the full, they are shorter distances and aren’t really subject to the wind unless it is really blowing. You don’t need to catch a grubber to score, you just put your hand on it. This is what I mean when I say it’s being overestimated.

How often last season did you see a player catch a bomb over the try line and get held up? A handful of times maybe. This new rule only effects those ones, it doesn’t make it easier for guys to catch the ball.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
The rule has always been you can't take out defenders in the air. Doesn't stop the attackers getting it the same will apply here

Exactly. It’s not going to be a free catch just because the attacker has jumped in the air, the defending team will still be able to contest the catch. Teams will still be using legal blockers(and illegal blockers when they can).

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly. It’s not going to be a free catch just because the attacker has jumped in the air, the defending team will still be able to contest the catch. Teams will still be using legal blockers(and illegal blockers when they can).

Just play the ball not the man and all good

betcats

Referee
Tell that to Mansour who the conversation was about to begin with. He broke his face because he is incapable of contesting kicks as it is. The problem isn't the rule itself. It's the rule + our roster.

His face was broken in a freak accident. That kick wasn’t in goal anyway, letting the guy catch is the smart play.

I’ll ask again how often does a player catch a bomb over the try line and not score? Not often. It’s already a try most of the time, this rule isn’t going to create a bunch more tries.

BxTom

Bench
So this new rule will allow more KFC ads whilst the bunker decides if the defender was contesting the ball or taking out an attacking player. More stupidity from Greenberg and his cronies. Does KFC pay these idiots a commission of their increased sales?

betcats

Referee
So this new rule will allow more KFC ads whilst the bunker decides if the defender was contesting the ball or taking out an attacking player. More stupidity from Greenberg and his cronies. Does KFC pay these idiots a commission of their increased sales?

This is where the potential impact lies for mine. The refs interpretation of it, are they going to be calling minor contact a penalty or not? Will we get a shitload of penalties and penalty tries from it? Assuming they keep a similar interpretation to what they use for defensive catchers it will be ok, but when a potential try is involved and it’s being replayed over and over is when interpretations seem to change for the nrl.

franklin2323

Immortal
This is where the potential impact lies for mine. The refs interpretation of it, are they going to be calling minor contact a penalty or not? Will we get a shitload of penalties and penalty tries from it? Assuming they keep a similar interpretation to what they use for defensive catchers it will be ok, but when a potential try is involved and it’s being replayed over and over is when interpretations seem to change for the nrl.

RU has this rule still no tries get scored.
Test footy has this rule and can’t remember lots of kick tries scored

The video ref is a different story but no matter the rule they would stuff it

franklin2323

Immortal
Tell that to Mansour who the conversation was about to begin with. He broke his face because he is incapable of contesting kicks as it is. The problem isn't the rule itself. It's the rule + our roster.

We have ones that can catch though. Put Naden/Crichton on the wing if it becomes an issue.

JAC is the best winger in the comp. Can’t jump do you think Bellamy won’t get away to combat it if there is heaps more tries?

betcats

Referee
RU has this rule still no tries get scored.
Test footy has this rule and can’t remember lots of kick tries scored

The video ref is a different story but no matter the rule they would stuff it

Yep because the difficult part from scoring off a bomb /high kick isn’t getting the ball down after you catch it, the difficult part is everything up until and including the catch.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep because the difficult part from scoring off a bomb /high kick isn’t getting the ball down after you catch it, the difficult part is everything up until and including the catch.

The only rule that will affect scoring is the choosing where you take the scrum from. The rest are to mainly clean the game up

betcats

Referee
I really REALLY hope im wrong but i highly doubt I will be. This will be a total shitfight

I can see a shit fight from the refs calling a lot of penalties and not having the same interpretation etc but I don’t see it causing a big difference in the amount of tries scored from kicks, if they are calling the same way they call the already existing rule for defensive players in the air i really don’t see a big impact in terms of making it easier to score. Some impact for sure but not a big one.

OldPanther

Coach
I let myself get drawn into an argument I wasn't originally having. My original point was that the accuracy thing I don't agree with. I think the elite kickers are better than people want to give credit for. Will it be used regularly? Not sure but the new strip has become a big thing and now that this is in the NRL it'll get tested for sure. Union and international League are very different beasts.

OldPanther

Coach
I can see a shit fight from the refs calling a lot of penalties and not having the same interpretation etc but I don’t see it causing a big difference in the amount of tries scored from kicks.

As I said earlier I think blockers will get worse resulting in what you're saying here and that's not even considering the mid air contest which is going to be very 50/50.

betcats

Referee
As I said earlier I think blockers will get worse resulting in what you're saying here and that's not even considering the mid air contest which is going to be very 50/50.

Its the same rule they have been calling forever with defensive players so they should be able to just apply it the same way for attackers without any difference, but it is the nrl so I’m sure they will find a way to complicate things.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Its the same mistake as the shoulder charge rule. Send off and 10+ weeks for anyone who actually does wrong.....not that either really ever happened in the first place. The game is ran by cowards

Crashtest

Juniors
Does anyone watch any Super League games? As they already have this rule in place, is there a lot of tries scored from kicks in their games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts