What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Difference is now they'll be kicking into the in goal and not before the line. As soon as the attacker catches it, it a try. Simply no way to stop them

Most of the time they still land on their feet in that situation(its instincts) which gives you a good chance to stop it, in particular if you are ready for it and have practiced for it. Kicking into the in goal comes with its own risks also.

It something that can certainly be a weapon for teams, but I don't think we are going to see every short winger forced out because of it. Getting the kick and chase right and not getting run off your jump is a pretty big challenge, once in the air defensive teams will play it safe a lot more now and just look to knock the ball out if they can get a hand to it. I just don't see it as having a huge impact.

OldPanther

Coach
What half can consistently aim a kick exactly where they want. 7 tackles if they miss it slightly

I could in my teens and would probably be at above 50% now. I'd say accounting for the extra pressure at NRL level guys like Cleary, DCE, Ash Taylor(if his confidence is back) Moses, Keary would be more than capable.

What I guess will happen is blockers will get worse.

betcats

Referee
Even the best NRL kickers struggle to do it consistently. Your average fan is absolutely no chance landing kicks on a dime with nrl pressure, be serious.

franklin2323

Immortal
I could in my teens and would probably be at above 50% now. I'd say accounting for the extra pressure at NRL level guys like Cleary, DCE, Ash Taylor(if his confidence is back) Moses, Keary would be more than capable.

What I guess will happen is blockers will get worse.

50% is still too high a risk to give up 7 tackles. Grubber still better option

OldPanther

Coach
Even the best NRL kickers struggle to do it consistently. Your average fan is absolutely no chance landing kicks on a dime with nrl pressure, be serious.

You missed my point and maybe I explained it poorly. I mentioned NRL pressure to show it would be more difficult for them and the players I named are guys I think could do it under those more extreme circumstances with Ash Taylor being a bit unknown having the ability but lacking the confidence and mentality in recent times.

betcats

Referee
You missed my point and maybe I explained it poorly. I mentioned NRL pressure to show it would be more difficult for them and the players I named are guys I think could do it under those more extreme circumstances with Ash Taylor being a bit unknown having the ability but lacking the confidence and mentality in recent times.

We've seen the players you named kick, they are best kicking games in the nrl and they still cant land it where they want all the time. There is a small margin between a contestable kick and an easy catch for the defender. This rule hasn't made that margin any bigger, its still going to be pretty bloody difficult to get it in the sweet spot consistently.

OldPanther

Coach
What does it matter? If a kicker can aim exactly where he wants then 1/3 wouldn't be errors

It matters because it's innacurate cherry picked data that doesn't prove the point at all. Secondly you don't need every single kick to be on point to score tries. It only takes 1 to get 6 points and regain possession. If we have Crichton in the team the opposition better hope the ref isn't after blockers that day or say some prayers because a combo of him and Cleary is going to be deadly if you can't tackle him in the air.

betcats

Referee
It matters because it's innacurate cherry picked data that doesn't prove the point at all. Secondly you don't need every single kick to be on point to score tries. It only takes 1 to get 6 points and regain possession. If we have Crichton in the team the opposition better hope the ref isn't after blockers that day or say some prayers because a combo of him and Cleary is going to be deadly if you can't tackle him in the air.

You are making it sound a lot easier then it is.

Let’s say the good kickers can place it right 80 percent of the time(which is probably being generous), the chaser still needs to get the timing right, he stills needs to avoid blockers, he needs to outjump his defender, catch the ball and get it down.

Let’s keep in mind a Knock on or kick that isn’t perfectly placed is a fair chance of being a 7 tackle set. It’s still high risk enough that no team will spam it.

OldPanther

Coach
You are making it sound a lot easier then it is.

Let’s say the good kickers can place it right 80 percent of the time(which is probably being generous), the chaser still needs to get the timing right, he stills needs to avoid blockers, he needs to outjump his defender, catch the ball and get it down.

Let’s keep in mind a Knock on or kick that isn’t perfectly placed is a fair chance of being a 7 tackle set. It’s still high risk enough that no team will spam it.

It's no more risk than a grubber possibly going dead. The danger of a 7 tackle set is still there and happens regularly. Honestly I'm in favour of the rule because it was always supposed to be about player welfare anyway but there is an inherent advantage to the attacking team and especially those teams with good kickers and tall outside backs. Toupou from Roosters is already virtually unstoppable in the air.

Anyway everyone's main point of contention is Mansour's weakness more than anything which is already there anyway being a shorty.

franklin2323

Immortal

attacking kicks are attacking kicks. 7 tackle is the risk and still will be. The blocked chasers.

The rule has always been you can't take out defenders in the air. Doesn't stop the attackers getting it the same will apply here

Status
Not open for further replies.