1. Origin I Edition OUT NOW:

The latest issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for next week's State of Origin opener and upcoming Super League matches!

As the interstate rivalry amps up in the NRL post-season for the first time, Paul Jobber talks to Boyd Cordner as the Blues skipper aims for a NSW three-peat, while Rick Edgerton looks at how Origin will unfold in a post-COVID world. League-mad fans Mark Thierry and Emile El-Azar share their lives in locked-down Victoria during the COVID-disrupted year and Andrew Ferguson looks at how the Storm and Roosters of the current era compare with the great dynasties of years gone by.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the Origin match programme along with teamlists and details for the week's Super League matches - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine! Happy reading!

EDITION 23 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by herbert henry1908, Jun 1, 2016.

1. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Ponga not far behind.. all in front of the best half in the comp

2. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

If we don't someone else will. He's paid his price.

Aliceinwonderland, BxTom and Kev07 like this.
  3. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

I don't know how anyone can compare fullbacks with middle forwards and say one is better than the other. It's like saying Steve Smith is a better cricketer than Glenn McGrath was.

age.s and Kev07 like this.
  4. The Realist

The Realist Juniors

He was excellent when he first got into the side and complemented Cleary very well, better than any other player so far including Maloney, Laui and Burton. He then had a serious injury, was adequate not great after making a comeback and then...all the controversies hit during seasons when he should have been killing it having had long enough to fully recover.

CCJohnC and Kev07 like this.
  5. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

I agree, that’s why you’d play him in the middle and move Yeo out wide.

6. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

I think Steve Smith is a better cricketer than Glenn McGarth.

but you make a valid point.

7. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

Either way, fullback has become a very key position. At least the equal of 5/8, probably more important.

8. herbert henry1908

Don’t agree with moving Yeo. He’s been killing it at lock, and Martin & Capewell look more damaging runners out wide than Yeo was.

9. herbert henry1908

Burton has only played one game next to Cleary.

I honestly don’t think May complements Cleary’s play at all. May is a natural ball runner, just like Cleary. They might’ve gone okay together, but in the long run I think it’s better to have someone who has a great passing game. Which Cleary doesn’t.

10. betcats

betcats Coach

Ball playing locks are definitely coming back into fashion so May or even Burton may find themselves spending some time in the middle off the bench. But Yeo will hold down the starting 13 imo, he can pass well enough and is just such a solid guy to have there. Hes developed some kind of Jeremy Smith like Judo-tackle where he just wraps a guy ball and all and swings them around and down onto their backs, its beautiful to watch him ground an opposition prop with ease that way.

InSucToSivE and Exsilium like this.
  11. Sime_11

Sime_11 Juniors

10. Fish
    13. Yeo

80 min toilers who wont let the team down, every other forward needs to be rotated during the game.

May/Luai at 14 to give Api a rest is beneficial - Api can play 80, but he hasn't been effective for the 80 and rest mid game should make him sharp for his second stint in the game, which should only benefit the team and a tiring defence, this should be the same for Kikau.

I think Capewell will struggle to come back into the starting squad if Martin keeps playing well like he has, we need our right edge 2nd row to be threatening so there is less reliance on Kikau.

I think its time Tamou is moved on - he's done a good job for us, but we are in a position now where we are bulging with front row talent (Fish, Leota, Tetevano, Hetherington, Leniu + more) - these guys are the future of the team. Tamou has served his purpose here the past 4 years, hopefully he can nab a healthy deal elsewhere - we have him covered IMO (with respect to Jimmy of course).

12. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

I think the form of Isaah Yeo is perhaps a reflection of the fact he is injury free for the first time in a couple of seasons.

He was clearly playing with injuries over the course the last two seasons and even then rarely let us down. He is a fine player and very under rated give the media love for the Cameron Murrays and Victor Radley’s in the same position.

13. Westernised Panther

Westernised Panther Juniors

Radley’s gone for the season. Could open up an opportunity for Yeo to make the Origin side

14. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

I know the media has been talking Radley up for Origin, but the incumbents arent going anywhere so he was hardly a definite. Yeo should be in the conversation regardless.

15. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

Read on twitter just now that Jack heathrington has been loaned to the Warriors. Apparently Roosters wanted back their player because of their injuries.

I think this (under the circumstances) is a great idea.

CCJohnC, Whino and Jane Murray like this.
  16. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Good idea to loan Hetherington out. Get him some gametime

Jane Murray likes this.
  17. martielang

martielang Juniors

Weird one though, surprised we agreed. One injury in the forwards & he’s in the 17 & potentially holds his spot.

tripster likes this.
  18. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

We can get him back if & when needed. The Chooks pulled their loaner back, thats why they need Hethro.

Aliceinwonderland likes this.
  19. Fangs

Fangs Bench

I think its a good decision.

We need guys match fit. There is no reserve grade. And its very difficult to break into a winning team. And we of course reserve the right to take him back when we wish.

Its really going to hurt at the end of the year when players get injured. Replacements will be brought in and they will be completely underdone. The teams that manage their roster the best will go a long way in this competition.

20. Whino

Whino Juniors

If it blows off the rust, and when we need him if he is fit to go. I am ok with it.
    Hame Sele hadn't played since the break. He had his 1st game on Thursday. He went ok but boy was he gassed when he came off.
    We need rotations or loan out our players to keep them fit.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Jane Murray likes this.