What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

roofromoz

First Grade
Looks like Seibold is a done deal at the Broncs for 2020. More than likely will be released for 2019.
All the shit we copped about trying to induced Ivan to break his contract with the Tigers looks like the Broncs have been doing the same quietly with Siebold.
If you believe the rumours they have been in negotiations for months.

But it's not Gus.

mxlegend99

Referee
Our whole short term future is reliant on two Cleary's.

I cant see us doing anything so dodgy. But would there be a way to stop us cheating in this situation?

Hypothetically:

Ivan Cleary 5 year $10m deal.
Nathan Cleary 5 year $300k deal.

Ivan goes halves with Nathan. Regardless of how long we decide to stick with Ivan. Nathan is on a 5 year $1.3m deal and costing us $300k on the cap. We sack Ivan early and pay him out entirely... Nathan still gets his money regardless. We're just paying a $1m premium to Ivan in order to gain $1m in the cap.

I think we're too above board to operate that way. But it's a unique situation which could make cheating easier snd while obvious (like Broncos) it would be difficult to prove.

I cant see us doing anything so dodgy. But would there be a way to stop us cheating in this situation?

Hypothetically:

Ivan Cleary 5 year $10m deal.
Nathan Cleary 5 year $300k deal.

Ivan goes halves with Nathan. Regardless of how long we decide to stick with Ivan. Nathan is on a 5 year $1.3m deal and costing us $300k on the cap. We sack Ivan early and pay him out entirely... Nathan still gets his money regardless. We're just paying a $1m premium to Ivan in order to gain $1m in the cap.

I think we're too above board to operate that way. But it's a unique situation which could make cheating easier snd while obvious (like Broncos) it would be difficult to prove.

The NRL put nominal values on players. They’d never accept a deal for Nathan Cleary at 300k a year.

This issue cropped up when the Eels tried to sign Israel Folau.

I’d say it’d have to be around the 700-800k mark.

But we’ve already signed Nathan anyway so it’s a moot point.

The NRL put nominal values on players. They’d never accept a deal for Nathan Cleary at 300k a year.

Folau was one of the only times it was ever enforced

mxlegend99

Referee

They happily let the Broncos sign players on a wuarter of what other clubs had offered. Nathan has never hit the market to be valued.

Folau was valued at a certain amount because he left the game to earn heaps and came back for a fraction of it. The NRL decided to put a value on him when they normally don't.

They couldn't stop Nathan signing a $300k deal. But I don't think we would ever consider cheating like that.

The Rosco

Bench
The squirming sounds from the 'riff forumers that were recently very, very pleased with themselves about IC is a piece of poetic beauty.
5 years !!! Sounds like a plan.
5 YEARS !!! f**k, petrol could be @ $4 / litre by then. Assuming there's still cars, of course .
Karma.
Enjoy it. Hope he don't get too tired too soon.
My Nan was right, it does always turn out for the best !

MX legend . . . why do you keep saying things like " But I don't think we would ever consider cheating like that " ?
Mate, do you think someone bought uncle Phil a new bag of morals last week ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.