What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
That’s what they boxed themselves in to by signing him up from 2021.

I can’t beleive all this effort to sign Ivan Cleary when there were other decent options out there.

For me it's the fact that WE ALREADY HAD HIM AND SACKED HIM THE FIRST TIME! Since he's been away, his coaching record has only gotten worse. What the f**k was the point?

The first time, I was happy to get rid of him.... and then we signed Griffin as the ultimate f**k you.
We finally got rid of Griffin, and I was happy again..... and then we re-sign Cleary again. I mean, WTF?

murraymob

Coach
its not just a case of moving on .They have a contract .A club has to be found and a equal amount of money needs to be meet either by the other club paying or we part pay. Cant see Merrin having a lot of takers at his price .Tamou only if we part pay

franklin2323

Immortal
The only major change I noticed to our attack when Ciraldo took over was the kicking. We were more prepared to take some chances.

Other than that the jury is still out on his attacking coaching.

People said he was doing all the coaching anyway. That, the no time to change anything and the injuries we had. There was never going to be too much difference

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Griffin relies completely on player talent. His game plans literally say run hard.

Cleary is leagues above him.

All this team needs is a competent coach.

Cleary's a great one.

Pantherjim.

Referee
For me it's the fact that WE ALREADY HAD HIM AND SACKED HIM THE FIRST TIME! Since he's been away, his coaching record has only gotten worse. What the f**k was the point?

The first time, I was happy to get rid of him.... and then we signed Griffin as the ultimate f**k you.
We finally got rid of Griffin, and I was happy again..... and then we re-sign Cleary again. I mean, WTF?

Possibly because we never should have sacked Cleary in the first place??

mxlegend99

Referee
There’s no way the NRL would register a 300k deal for Nathan Cleary. They’d see that play from a mile off.
$300k is still decent money. It's triple the minimum wage. They registered Benji Marshall, David Mead and Korbin Sims on minimum wage contracts.

The minimum value thing has rarely come into play. Jarryd Hayne was able to leave a $1m+ deal to sign with Eels for $500k. There are thousands of examples of players doing it over the years and only a handful of players being assigned a minimum value

Ofcourse everyone could think shit is dodgy. Just as they do with Roosters and Broncos, because 9 times out of 10 it would be. But they let dodgy shit happen every day and dont catch it unless someone dobs them in.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Possibly because we never should have sacked Cleary in the first place??

Nah, he was done here.

It's funny all the non-Panthers fans having a go at Gould for bringing back a coach he sacked already - I would wager Gould had nothing to do with this and would rather we had some other coach. I mean, if Cleary wins the comp, Gould looks stupid for sacking him 3 years ago, and if he doesn't win, Gould looks twice as stupid for bringing him back.

Classic lose-lose for our General Manager

mxlegend99

Referee
Nah, he was done here.

It's funny all the non-Panthers fans having a go at Gould for bringing back a coach he sacked already - I would wager Gould had nothing to do with this and would rather we had some other coach. I mean, if Cleary wins the comp, Gould looks stupid for sacking him 3 years ago, and if he doesn't win, Gould looks twice as stupid for bringing him back.

Gould didnt like Hook. But it was not his decision to sack him immediately. He wanted to wait until the season was over. But once the decision was made he had to sell it.

Likewise he looks to have minimal involvement in bringing Ivan back. But again it's his job to sell it. Even though Ivan is unlikely to be coaching us in a few years. Either through being sacked or IMO being replaced by Ivan.

I feel like (or maybe just hope) that's our ultimate goal with Ivan. If these things are happening without Gould. We're almost certainly phasing him out, in which case Ivan replacing him wouldn't be a bad outcome. 5 year contract wont matter if he's the boss in 3 years.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Nah, he was done here.

We had Ivan Cleary for three years.

He brought us to within a bee's dick of a premiership in 2014,

Then, because we didn't have such a great year with him in 2015, (albeit not wooden spooners still 11th) we gave him the arse?

On what planet does this even remotely make sense to you??

I'm definitely prepared to take another chance on the guy considering the limited options out there, and face it; Griffin definitely wasn't an option.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The length of deals only matter if we're strapped for cash. We're the most financially powerful club in Australia.

Bitch the only thing I'm pissed about is that we aren't literally making our money rain on these fools.

$300k is still decent money. It's triple the minimum wage. They registered Benji Marshall, David Mead and Korbin Sims on minimum wage contracts.

The minimum value thing has rarely come into play. Jarryd Hayne was able to leave a $1m+ deal to sign with Eels for $500k. There are thousands of examples of players doing it over the years and only a handful of players being assigned a minimum value

Ofcourse everyone could think shit is dodgy. Just as they do with Roosters and Broncos, because 9 times out of 10 it would be. But they let dodgy shit happen every day and dont catch it unless someone dobs them in.

$300k is now the average wage.

I seriously doubt the NRL would register it. If Ivan wasn’t here then it might be a different story. But then he wouldn’t sign for a low figure.

Such as?

It’s my contention that Gould never should have sacked him in the first place three years ago.

I think Gould was too quick to fire him as well, but I do think Cleary is a little overrated.

I would’ve been happy with a few other options,

Macguire
Jason Demetriou
Justin Holbrook

franklin2323

Immortal
Such as?

It’s my contention that Gould never should have sacked him in the first place three years ago.

Manly, Souffs and Tigers all signed premiership winning coaches. Demetriou and O'Brien highly rated assistants..

Maybe Cleary is better. Maybe not but we wouldn't know due to incompetence

People said he was doing all the coaching anyway. That, the no time to change anything and the injuries we had. There was never going to be too much difference

Could’ve thrown in a few new plays, I saw nothing. Plus they needed to throw in something different to compete in the finals. Our normal tactics weren’t going to get it done.

franklin2323

Immortal
Could’ve thrown in a few new plays, I saw nothing. Plus they needed to throw in something different to compete in the finals. Our normal tactics weren’t going to get it done.

Given the health of key players I can't see anyone fixing much. So not blaming Ciraldo but the last 4 months haven't been a good look for the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts