What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

murraymob

Coach
Even though it means we don't get Bryce or Moss in the top 25?

That's my issue we have halves for depth in Humble, Capewell, Coote & John to push for 6. Now another means 6 halves in 25.

i doubt humble and capewell will be included in the top 25 as they are no chance of first grade unless there are massive injuries

murraymob

Coach
Capewell wont be in the 25 and Humble may be let go and who knows what is going on with Coote.

While I don't rate him, I want to see Wallace on the field for US first before I pass judgement on his play for US.

From my understanding Nathan Smith may also be re-signing, but not on a big deal at all. I can live with that for depth I guess.

End of the day we have 7 guys leaving who were IN our 25.

Cartwright's contract extension puts him in the 25. Moss may not be but tbh with Moylan there and Naiqama as back up there probably isn't a reason for him to be in the 25.

moss is a fair way of first grade so should not be in top 25 anyway.Lets also remember they are changing the rules for next year so a top 25 may have no meaning anyway

maple_69

Bench
Humble, W. Naquima and Tighe should not see first grade regardless of injuries. Take them out and put Cartwright and whoever else in.

franklin2323

Immortal
i doubt humble top 25

There wont be too much change as it took months for both players & NRL to come to this cap agreement.

Humble was in this year's top 25. Signed a 2 year deal no manager will sign minimum wage yr 1. P/t yr 2.

The balance of our squad is wrong (Assuming Roberts isnt seen a centre Tighe, Naiqama or Brown are left centre options) Wallace is better at 9 then Kingston, Better then Humble the fact is we have them already.

Given what Soward brings (Great organisation no running game) Coote & John are better in the 6.

age.s

First Grade
I said earlier I didn't mind Wallace coming here for the right price to fill the right role. I'm just really not a fan of the 3 year deal. It signals that he's in our long term plans and I just don't rate him highly enough to be happy about that.

That said we have an experienced halves combo and I agree with whoever said this is the best halves combo we've had since Gower left. That's not saying a lot of course.

franklin2323

Immortal
End of the day we have 7 guys leaving who were IN our 25.

Signed: Taylor, Kite, Peachey, Naiqama, Wallace, John & Moylan that weren't in our top 25.

Since Cartwright signed we signed a few that weren't going to be re-signed at the time.

RLPA wont stand for changes to the cap that gives P/T more then F/T

Big Mick

Referee
Signed: Taylor, Kite, Peachey, Naiqama, Wallace, John & Moylan that weren't in our top 25.

Since Cartwright signed we signed a few that weren't going to be re-signed at the time.

RLPA wont stand for changes to the cap that gives P/T more then F/T

Top 25 is top 25 salaries.

Assuming Cartwright is getting a fair bump, which he is....it'll be likely that he'll be in our 25.

mxlegend99

Referee
I can't believe anyone thinks that this is a bad move for the Panthers. We've signed two experienced halves with big game experience, and who are proven performers and competitors. They are both playing in seriously depleted teams compared to the ones they were stars in... but the good thing is that when they arrive at Penrith they won't be in those teams.

They will be playing behind a huge forward pack, and both will have better halves partners... Wallace his best since Lockyer retired. Soward in his career IMO... as Hornby was never a genuine halfback. Throw them behind this forward pack:

8. Kite
9. Segeyaro
10. McKendry
11. Manu
12. Brown
13. Taylor

14. Grant
15. Plum
16. / 17. From Docker, Peachey, Kingston, Robinson, VTK, Cartright, Cherrington, Simpkins, Latimore, Anderson, Foster etc.

That forward pack is far stronger then our pack from 2013, although Mose Masoe would have been nice to keep. Then we have a much stronger backline IMO, with the fullowing competition:

Fullback: Moylan, Coote, Naiqama and Roberts (DWZ possibly at the end of 2014)
Wingers: Mansour, Simmons, Naiqama, Roberts
Centres: Whare, Roberts, Peachey, Naiqama

That's only some of the first grade experienced depth... The bolded players are those I think will be first picked. But we have some serious talent and depth for next season.... pretty much in every single position now. Even the halves... first choice pairing of Soward and Wallace. Throw in Isaac John and Lachlan Coote who have proven more then handy in the halves, along with possibly Luke Capewell and Tom Humble. Not that we would want to go that far into our depth.

Honestly I think we have a top 8 side... even if we suffer a few injuries. There's no position that we can't cover reasonably well. Front row would probably be the biggest drop in quality, but we're still better off than we were this year and we missed Grant, McKendry and Plum for lengthy periods and still done well.

I'm generally pessimistic due to being burned repeatedly by the Panthers. But between what we have shown this season with a fairly weak side on paper, and the improvements we have made to our side in pretty much all our weakest areas along with the added experience to the likes of Moylan, Whare, John etc. there is a lot to be excited about for 2014. Even if Soward AND Wallace failed... we still have John and Coote who would leave us no worse off than we were this year. But I honestly feel that our halves will both fire and compliment each other well.

Doomednow

Bench
I'm just really not a fan of the 3 year deal. It signals that he's in our long term plans and I just don't rate him highly enough to be happy about that.

3 years is ok. He can be moved down to NSW cup towards the end. It may have been more about what he was able to negotiate than what we actually wanted him for.

franklin2323

Immortal
Top 25 is top 25 salaries. Assuming Cartwright is getting a fair bump, which he is....it'll be likely that he'll be in our 25.

So who gets the pay cut? He's only 18 part could be on NYC. No matter what the changes are to second tier no one will be able to earn what you can in F/T as it defeats the purpose of a cap.

franklin2323

Immortal
MX, Anasta & Roberts are experienced as well doesn't mean they suit our team.

We need someone that can spark something when we get in the 20m line. ATM the moment we are lost. Neither take on the line. So will be like the days of Burns/Walsh. Soward doing all the kicking. Wallace there for defence.

Like Burns I rate him higher then Kingston for the 9 but Kingston's going no where.

MX, Anasta & Roberts are experienced as well doesn't mean they suit our team.

We need someone that can spark something when we get in the 20m line. ATM the moment we are lost. Neither take on the line. So will be like the days of Burns/Walsh. Soward doing all the kicking. Wallace there for defence.

Like Burns I rate him higher then Kingston for the 9 but Kingston's going no where.

This is the biggest problem.

You need to focus on the abilities of soward and wallace, not the fact that they've both played big games.

Wallace has got nothing in attack. Absolutely nothing.

Soward has a great kicking game but the rest of his attack is limited.

Thats not a combination I see succeeding.

Soward needs a ball player to partner with, I'd rather see someone young who might improve.

This smacks of other signings we have made in the past where a player towards the end of his career will stop younger one's from developing.

meek

Juniors
This is the biggest problem.

You need to focus on the abilities of soward and wallace, not the fact that they've both played big games.

Wallace has got nothing in attack. Absolutely nothing.

Soward has a great kicking game but the rest of his attack is limited.

Thats not a combination I see succeeding.

Soward needs a ball player to partner with, I'd rather see someone young who might improve.

This smacks of other signings we have made in the past where a player towards the end of his career will stop younger one's from developing.

spot o9n - was so excited after last night - how in the hell can we sign this clown

I don't know... have you ever heard of Fein, Sandow, Anasta or Marshall.

Yip and none of them were run out of town mid season like soward was. Your
Other star signing was dumped to reserve grade - only sandow can compete with that (although he's
Got some personal issues which somewhat excuse his form).

Abacus

Juniors
We're getting 2 halves that have both played origin when coached by Bennett but have been coached by a couple of nuffies since. I'll be interested to see what Ivan can get out of them. Personally I think they'll go well & on Wallace's signing - we got a massive discount on the 1st year thanks to the Broncos. Quality players at less than market value is how you build strong squads.

We're getting 2 halves that have both played origin when coached by Bennett but have been coached by a couple of nuffies since. I'll be interested to see what Ivan can get out of them. Personally I think they'll go well & on Wallace's signing - we got a massive discount on the 1st year thanks to the Broncos. Quality players at less than market value is how you build strong squads.

Except wallace isnt a quality player.

Im not sure I'd even consider him average.

And lets be realistic here, wallace played origin when he partnered one of the all time greats. And even then only because there was a dearth of NSW halves. By next season it will be 5 years since he played for NSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.