What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

meek

Juniors
Except wallace isnt a quality player.

Im not sure I'd even consider him average.

And lets be realistic here, wallace played origin when he partnered one of the all time greats. And even then only because there was a dearth of NSW halves. By next season it will be 5 years since he played for NSW.

Spot on
and if you ever listen to MG on mmm he rates Wallace NO

seriously how people on here can say Wallace is a great buy - cant have been watching him play
I thought we where going in the right direction - after this signing assuming hes brought as a first string half - we will have no or very little creativity - Walsh showed more in a couple of phases last night than ive ever seen from Wallace .

Cant believe some of you are actually are applauding this signing
There goes the long term plan - worst half paring in they comp next year
Soward I thought may be okay with a creative half beside him
BUT WALLACE give me a break - John has more skill in his big toe than that clown

Geez Gus what the hell are you thinking - unless he came for the cost of a pie and chips - you have lost me - what a goddam awefull signing

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors

And lets be realistic here, wallace played origin when he partnered one of the all time greats. And even then only because there was a dearth of NSW halves. By next season it will be 5 years since he played for NSW.

From these comments you're in no position to discuss whats realistic. More & more we're seeing that good coaches make halves look good. The teams are coached to play the structure at all times. Griffin may have been a good 20s coach but its apparent his structures don't work in the NRL. Halves become the fall guys when a teams structures are ineffective.

The number of people with short memories on here continually amaze me. Wallace was looking like ousting Pearce for nsw halfback just last season before getting injured at exactly the wrong time.

Anyhow I think the return home to play under Cleary (who I think we can agree is a better coach than Griffin) will show the doubters that Wallace is in fact a quality player.

meek

Juniors
GUS one of your worst - if I was a youngster here in the halves id be looking elsewhere if this mob have this clown in there plans for the next 3 years.

Maybe we can trade him for that bloke from Parra playing second string at least he take son the line occasionally LOL

Last edited:

meek

Juniors
From these comments you're in no position to discuss whats realistic. More & more we're seeing that good coaches make halves look good. The teams are coached to play the structure at all times. Griffin may have been a good 20s coach but its apparent his structures don't work in the NRL. Halves become the fall guys when a teams structures are ineffective.

The number of people with short memories on here continually amaze me. Wallace was looking like ousting Pearce for nsw halfback just last season before getting injured at exactly the wrong time.

Anyhow I think the return home to play under Cleary (who I think we can agree is a better coach than Griffin) will show the doubters that Wallace is in fact a quality player.

You make some good points
I sincerely hope your right and im wrong In bagging this signing for panthers sake

abpanther

Staff member
Wallace is a horrible signing, everyone is trying to gloss over the fact that he has been terrible for the past two seasons, hell he isn't even a starting half anymore

roofromoz

First Grade
Initial thoughts is that it's good to see him come home.

Hard to say whether this is a depth signing or not for the Panthers. I would say that he will be in a battle with John and possibly Coote (if he stays) or maybe even Moylan for the halves - Soward will probably be more of a certainty.

If he was a quality half like you think , we would have seen some evidence of it.

A half, first and foremost is a creative player. There is simply no evidence of this from wallace.

He's a forward stuck in a halves body.

Initial thoughts is that it's good to see him come home.

Hard to say whether this is a depth signing or not for the Panthers. I would say that he will be in a battle with John and possibly Coote (if he stays) or maybe even Moylan for the halves - Soward will probably be more of a certainty.

You dont give 3 year contracts to depth signings.

mxlegend99

Referee

How many players have been even close to their best for the Broncos since Wayne Bennett left? How many since Darren Lockyer left?

Nearly every player that was around while those guys were there, has declined since. They are a poorly coached side and a far weaker roster. Both of those things have a huge effect on halves.

Likewise with Jamie Soward. Wayne Bennett leaves, and they have arguably the worst coach in the NRL come in. He is paired up with an average hooker in the halves, has arguably the worst centre pairing in the NRL to feed the ball to and the Dragons forward pack is one of the softest in the NRL.

Neither of those players are in those circumstances with us. We have a decent coach, who has gotten the best out of some deadset average halves. Tom Humble looked solid at first, Isaac John was terrible at NSW Cup level and has come up and looked the part in first grade, Luke Walsh has improved his consistency (not by much), but most importantly Luke Walsh is now atleast having a go defensively. He has these blokes playing to the best of their ability. Next year we will have halves with more ability then these players combined.

Peter Wallace is no superstar. But he is a competitor, consistent and can be coached to fill a role in the team when partnered with a dominant playmaker.

Jamie Soward was a superstar, and I feel he could be again. He just needs a solid partner in the halves and some talent around him to actually make his efforts matter. Like Peter Wallace he is also a competitor. But with a huge range of talents, including one of the best kicking games in the NRL. Hopefully Ivan Cleary can also get his running game back, as he is one of the quickest halves and his running game for the Dragons was outstanding.

IMO it's easy to see how these guys fit into our plan. They're competitors. They will put in 100%. They have proven themselves of being far better then they have shown recently, and have big game experience. These are halves that can lead us to the finals, and not let the pressure of big or important games get to them. I can't believe we have signed two former State of Origin halves and people don't see that as an improvement over Luke Walsh and whoever is available that week to partner him. Both of these guys are better then Luke Walsh. We still have all of the players that have partnered him this year. Our depth has improved, but most importantly we now have two halves who have previously played at an elite level... and if they even get close to back to that footy will be great buys. Rather than blokes who are NSW Cup standard and we're just hoping for them to lift enough to be first grade standard.

Look at David Simmons for an example of what the right bloke next to you can do for a players performance. Deadset one of the most average wingers in the NRL, in the sense there's nothing flashy about him. Throw Dean Whare in the centres and suddenly he is a try scoring freak and now looks a much more confident player all around. That's a winger who is far superior due to a centre. Halves have many more players contributing to their performances then a winger. Soward and Wallace now have better halves partners, better backlines and better forward packs. Ontop of that they have a better coach. Absolutely every area around them will be an improvement over what they have, and help contribute to them playing the football that saw them represent their state.

@Mx

Imo you're ignoring the lack of attributes wallace has to compliment soward.

Soward needs a ball playing half next to him as that's his weakness.

Problem is, wallace is piss poor at ball playing creativity.

Sure, he's a competitor. But thats an attribute you want in a back rower or prop. Halves need skills and wallace doesnt have them.

No amount of competitiveness is going to change that.

This is easily the worst signing Gould has made. If wallace & soward are our main halves it will bring us nothing but mediocrity.

franklin2323

Immortal
You dont give 3 year contracts to depth signings.

Yep. That's the concern.

Mx & others for this signing. ATM we have no trouble getting into the opposition 20 that wont change in fact Soward's kicking game will improve that..

Once we are there we are have the kick or we have the spread to Simmons to score that's it unless they have lazy markers & Sege can go himself.

Wallace wont change that Lockyer not being there doesn't stop him from taking on the lune or spreading it. We need a 6 who will do that..

maple_69

Bench
Soward has never had a strong ball playing half alongside him. When he had success it was when Boyd was at his best dropping into the backline movements. That's Moylan's bread and butter so potentially a structure we'd look to employ.
On Wallace, I'm neither here nor there about him. He's probably better than Coote and John but also won't add much really. You'd have to think he was reasonably priced given his position atm and a player of his calibre shouldn't stand in the way of guys like Evans, Foster and Scarlett who will start to come through.
My preference would be to try Wallace and Soward for the first 5/6 rounds and if its not working shift Moylan to the halves with K. Naquima going to fullback or swap Peachey into the halves.

marcozzi

Juniors
how can you criticise a combination that you have never seen play together yet. Gould and Cleary know what they are doing and to doubt Gould's knowledge is a joke, we should be backing them not doubting and whining about it... :cool:

franklin2323

Immortal
The same Gould that released Walsh 12months after re-signing him for 3 years... Doesn't mean it will work because he said so.

You can't just suddenly put on Panthers jersey & get speed & footwork or suddenly decide black will make me take on the line.

So yes player attributes have something to do with it.

mxlegend99

Referee
how can you criticise a combination that you have never seen play together yet. Gould and Cleary know what they are doing and to doubt Gould's knowledge is a joke, we should be backing them not doubting and whining about it... :cool:
Exactly. Until we see this halves combination play together, we can't judge it. IMO it will work well for us. I can see what we're trying to do. But at the end of the day, I rate Wallace and Soward ahead of any of our halves since Gower and Presto left. So for that reason alone, it's a step in the right direction.

I also think the type of halves we have signed is intentional due to their attitude and the culture Cleary is trying to build. We missed out on having the superstar who can carry the team, so instead we have the ultra competitive halves who should compliment each others strengths and fit right into the team. Walsh is not a competitor... he has improved defensively and played a few more good games for the season then usual... but he still isn't the player who will put his body on the line or do absolutely anything to win.

Ive backed virtually all of Gould's moves so far.

I'm entitled to criticise them as well.

Soward has never had a strong ball playing half alongside him. When he had success it was when Boyd was at his best dropping into the backline movements. That's Moylan's bread and butter so potentially a structure we'd look to employ.
On Wallace, I'm neither here nor there about him. He's probably better than Coote and John but also won't add much really. You'd have to think he was reasonably priced given his position atm and a player of his calibre shouldn't stand in the way of guys like Evans, Foster and Scarlett who will start to come through.
My preference would be to try Wallace and Soward for the first 5/6 rounds and if its not working shift Moylan to the halves with K. Naquima going to fullback or swap Peachey into the halves.

Just because soward hasnt had a ball player, doesn't mean that isnt what he needs.

Exactly. Until we see this halves combination play together, we can't judge it. IMO it will work well for us. I can see what we're trying to do. But at the end of the day, I rate Wallace and Soward ahead of any of our halves since Gower and Presto left. So for that reason alone, it's a step in the right direction.

I also think the type of halves we have signed is intentional due to their attitude and the culture Cleary is trying to build. We missed out on having the superstar who can carry the team, so instead we have the ultra competitive halves who should compliment each others strengths and fit right into the team. Walsh is not a competitor... he has improved defensively and played a few more good games for the season then usual... but he still isn't the player who will put his body on the line or do absolutely anything to win.

The Wallace thats better than any of our other halves since gower/presto is 5 years ago.

The wallace of today is no better than isaac john or coote.

But at least with coote and john they have age on their side & possible improvement.

Is a 28 year old average half really going to improve?

This is a bloke that's played a couple of good years of footy his entire FG career.

He's a journeyman, nothing more.

We'd be better off going with the younger options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts