What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ive backed virtually all of Gould's moves so far.

I'm entitled to criticise them as well.

My criticism is we have too many players the same style.

Again the same here whenever John takes on the line we surprise the other team.

You know neither Wallace or Soward will run so easier to read. We need an x factor.

mxlegend99

Referee
The Wallace thats better than any of our other halves since gower/presto is 5 years ago.

The wallace of today is no better than isaac john or coote.

But at least with coote and john they have age on their side & possible improvement.

Is a 28 year old average half really going to improve?

This is a bloke that's played a couple of good years of footy his entire FG career.

He's a journeyman, nothing more.

We'd be better off going with the younger options.
Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould clearly feel that Peter Wallace is better than what we already have at the club. I agree with them.

Only time will tell, but there are plenty of differences in where our club is at and where the Broncos/Dragons are at that will be positive influences on the form of both Soward and Wallace. To write either of them off completely without seeing how they can perform behind our pack, with our backline and with a new halves partner is just silly.

There's no guarantee that either of them will improve. But I am confident that both will. I am willing to back Ivan Cleary to get the best from both of these players. If either of them fails to deliver I'll be one of the first to want them gone. But until then I will remain optimistic that Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould know exactly what they are doing. Occasionally they have a signing (like Wes Naiqama) that can not possibly be good for our first grade team. But I'll just write that one off as a loss to sign his more talented younger brother. I know that it wasn't... but I'm sure that stupid signing helped lure his brother.

murraymob

Coach
instead of complaining about wallace and soward we should all stand and hail sir gus for not signing any of the heels players.Any time you lot feel down think of the position the doesntmatters are in.We are a least a better squad for next year and exciting times are ahead

franklin2323

Immortal
Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould clearly feel that Peter Wallace is better than what we already have at the club.

:lol::lol: Yet when the same combo made the stupid decision to re-sign Walsh BEFORE playing under Cleary you joined the chorus saying it was a rubbish call.

Why was that? You saw enough to say he was garbage? Same here maybe no garbage but doesn't tick what we need in a 6.

Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould clearly feel that Peter Wallace is better than what we already have at the club. I agree with them.

Only time will tell, but there are plenty of differences in where our club is at and where the Broncos/Dragons are at that will be positive influences on the form of both Soward and Wallace. To write either of them off completely without seeing how they can perform behind our pack, with our backline and with a new halves partner is just silly.

There's no guarantee that either of them will improve. But I am confident that both will. I am willing to back Ivan Cleary to get the best from both of these players. If either of them fails to deliver I'll be one of the first to want them gone. But until then I will remain optimistic that Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould know exactly what they are doing. Occasionally they have a signing (like Wes Naiqama) that can not possibly be good for our first grade team. But I'll just write that one off as a loss to sign his more talented younger brother. I know that it wasn't... but I'm sure that stupid signing helped lure his brother.

My concern though, given this is a late signing is that it's a desperate one.

Perhaps they're more hoping than anything that wallace can regain some of his form from 5 years ago.

There's been heaps of halves that were touted as the next big thing when they were young. One or two good seasons then nothing.

Give me a younger player any day over wallace.

We'll have the most one dimensional halves in the comp if soward and wallace is our combo.

Individual brilliance is going to have to play a large part if we want to make an impression.

:lol::lol: Yet when the same combo made the stupid decision to re-sign Walsh BEFORE playing under Cleary you joined the chorus saying it was a rubbish call.

Why was that? You saw enough to say he was garbage? Same here maybe no garbage but doesn't tick what we need in a 6.

The only thing wallace has over walsh is defence.

That's how bad wallace is.

franklin2323

Immortal
The only thing wallace has over walsh is defence.That's how bad wallace is.

:lol::lol: you aren't the 1st person to say that I would probably back Walsh's short kicking over Wallace.

Like Walsh Wallace needs a running 6 like Sutton or Josh Reynolds or back when Wallace was good Lockyer. Instead we have a great kicking game & organiser.

Will take Seg magic or Roberts to develop fast as a centre for it to be effective.

mxlegend99

Referee

That was because we had seen exactly what he offered in a Penrith jersey... and we had better/more promising players at the club who have moved on as a result.

You're writing off players without seeing how they will fit into our team. What Ivan Cleary wants them to do, and how well they are able to do it. We've brought a player to our club with a job in mind, not kept one in hopes that he can do the job.

I'm not saying that he will definitely be a good buy. But many people here are saying that there's absolutely no way that he could be... which is simply not true. Many halves who haven't been rated highly have changed clubs and been excellent filling the role required of them. Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould know exactly what Peter Wallace has to offer, and they are backing him to be able to do a role within the team that should help the club climb the ladder.

franklin2323

Immortal
we had better/more promising players at the club who have moved on as a result.

We didn't activate the clause on Austin (22) & more then likely lose Coote (23) so no difference here.

Lets assume Wallace/Soward are our halves. John/Coote/Humble NSW Cup. Where does Evans & Foster get a game? So no difference here.

Like the Walsh re-signing this on the surface looks like a rubbish decision.

meek

Juniors
Are they watching the same Wallace

"
General Manager Rugby League Phil Moss says “We’re very excited to have a local junior returning to Panthers. He’s been performing tremendously well for the mighty Brisbane Broncos for a number of years. Peter is a perfect fit with the culture that Coach Ivan Cleary has created for the Panthers club.

Been performing tremendously well ????????? when ? oh sorry only when he had a superstar next to him.

Surely it cant be the same Wallace we have seen in Broncos games in recent seasons

Very poor signing IMO - Hope im wrong

Pomoz

Bench
When I listen to this discussion, I think you all miss an important point. Wallace was not signed in place of some other superstar we could have got. There is nobody else to choose from. Am I missing someone who is on the market who is better?

As for picking juniors. I cannot agree with this point. I love the romance of a picking a junior who seems like they have amazing potential, but the reality is they are unproven and unless they are a standout (like Brooks from the Tigers) there is a better than even chance they will fail if they are thrown into first grade too early. You just have to look at the Eels and the Tigers and how they have performed with the large swathe of youngsters. Or our own team, when we had all the injuries and we started moving players from u20's to reggies and reggies to first grade. Harry Sjeika is the classic junior who everybody says was going to be the next Brandy. Brandy was already a superstar at the age Harry is now and to be honest, he doesn't look like he is going to make it. Austin is the same. We are still waiting for him to show consistent first grade form.

We don't have a clue whether our junior halves will be first grade quality, but we do know if we drop them in it now, they are likely to get physically smashed and then struggle. Read yesterdays article in the Telegraph from Ricky Stuart lamenting the gap between U20's and first grade and how it is a massive problem and unfair on the juniors who can't cope with a full season of first grade.

By all accounts Wallace has part of his salary paid by the Broncos next year, so financially it is a great outcome. The young halves can be introduced gradually to first grade in the next few seasons, by which time Wallace's contract will be coming to an end and our young halves will be in their early twenties.

When I listen to this discussion, I think you all miss an important point. Wallace was not signed in place of some other superstar we could have got. There is nobody else to choose from. Am I missing someone who is on the market who is better?

As for picking juniors. I cannot agree with this point. I love the romance of a picking a junior who seems like they have amazing potential, but the reality is they are unproven and unless they are a standout (like Brooks from the Tigers) there is a better than even chance they will fail if they are thrown into first grade too early. You just have to look at the Eels and the Tigers and how they have performed with the large swathe of youngsters. Or our own team, when we had all the injuries and we started moving players from u20's to reggies and reggies to first grade. Harry Sjeika is the classic junior who everybody says was going to be the next Brandy. Brandy was already a superstar at the age Harry is now and to be honest, he doesn't look like he is going to make it. Austin is the same. We are still waiting for him to show consistent first grade form.

We don't have a clue whether our junior halves will be first grade quality, but we do know if we drop them in it now, they are likely to get physically smashed and then struggle. Read yesterdays article in the Telegraph from Ricky Stuart lamenting the gap between U20's and first grade and how it is a massive problem and unfair on the juniors who can't cope with a full season of first grade.

By all accounts Wallace has part of his salary paid by the Broncos next year, so financially it is a great outcome. The young halves can be introduced gradually to first grade in the next few seasons, by which time Wallace's contract will be coming to an end and our young halves will be in their early twenties.

Dont think anyone has suggested we could have got someone else for next year.

Thats the issue I have with the signing though, its a last minute desperation move.

It could however impede our ability to get someone for 2015 , which is crazy because our other halves options could do the job wallace can easily.

Also its not about impeding the juniors directly in FG. Wallace will get in the way of further development of Issac John, coote and possibly moylan.

That flows down through the grades.

franklin2323

Immortal

Not say he is taking a young halves spot well I still class Coote as young but the club's made it clear he's not in the plans.

I don't think the make up of the squad is good and we have too many of the same style players. I could handle in the squad instead of say Kingston or Humble with his sot going to a backup centre

See maybe you are right about the juniors down the track. No halves should even get near 1st grade next year aside from a Huge injury toll which you can prepare for anyway

though off contract next year:

Mansour,
Coote (Probably gone this year)
Humble
Grant
McKendry
Kingston.

Aside from Humble and Kingston all should be re-signed.

So 3 years seems too long if that's the case

age.s

First Grade

Top post. Couldn't possibly agree more, particularly with the bold.

age.s

First Grade
Also find it strange that everyone seems so hot on Johnson. I don't think there's anyone in a better position than Cleary to assess whether he'd be a good fit for our squad.

Pomoz

Bench
If you include John and Coote as "junior" halves then I can see your point. I didn't really class them as juniors to be honest. But one thing we do know, Ivan will drop Soward or Wallace to reggies if they don't perform. He has many faults, but he doesn't play favourites and he isn't scared of dropping superstars.

BOMAR

Juniors
. But one thing we do know, Ivan will drop Soward or Wallace to reggies if they don't perform. He has many faults, but he doesn't play favourites and he isn't scared of dropping superstars.[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke. The only players he has dropped are the ones that the club has wanted to move on. He drops them to p them off. I think Ivan actually does have his favourites.
Name a superstar that he has dropped who is still here or isn't being shopped around.

franklin2323

Immortal
If you include John and Coote as "junior" halves then I can see your point. I didn't really class them as juniors to be honest. But one thing we do know, Ivan will drop Soward or Wallace to reggies if they don't perform. He has many faults, but he doesn't play favourites and he isn't scared of dropping superstars.

John isn't but Coote has had 10 games in the halves? Though both under 50 games in the halves so I guess you could say so.

Who have we dropped that's still around? A few have came back via NSW Cup but get in the top side within a few weeks

age.s

First Grade
Is this a joke. The only players he has dropped are the ones that the club has wanted to move on. He drops them to p them off. I think Ivan actually does have his favourites.
Name a superstar that he has dropped who is still here or isn't being shopped around.

Bolded the problem words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts