What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisD

Coach
Depending on what he's on I'd rather take Idris money and spend it in the front row. He's a back rower now to me, and with Sopo and Smith readying we could cover him. Still, he's better than them and if he's not on money that could make a difference to our front row then I'd hope he stays.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I'm guessing he is on a lot more money than he is currently worth to the team. I would let him go and use the money more effectively.

GongPanther

Referee
According to Phil Rothfield Jamal Idris has asked for a release. Hope we grant it and let him go. Not value for money and if he isn't committed to our cause good riddance.

Come on Killkenny,this is Rothfield throwing out baits.Idris was at the game yesterday as happy as Larry.

maple_69

Bench
I'd like to see him at least play out the last year of his contract so we can see how he goes as an impact second rower. It'd give us time for Smith and Sopo to find their feet as well. We don't need him at Centre with Blake looking like he's starting to show his talent, Smith demanding selection, Rennings not far off.

If he does go I'm not sure what we would use his money for other than securing some key parts like Taylor, DWZ, Mansour, Segeyaro and the Jennings. Half we have Wallace, Soward, Moylan, Scarlett, ZDC and Brown. Front row we have Mckendry, RCG, Merrin, Latimore, Latu, Matagi and Kikau (who by the way just finished the season with 140m a game, 18 tackles and 20 tries, good for 3rd top try scorer in the league.. as a prop).

If he does go if prefer to front end some contracts so we have some good coin to chase a replacement for Soward if none of the young options we have work out.

martielang

Bench
I don't know, he showed his distinct lack of speed today being chased down by one of the Knights forwards, and that's only going to get worse. I think it is better for the club to get the Jenningses/Blakes/DWZs game time.

Speed has never been A strength of his though. At least 3 times yesterday he was defending a 2 on 1 overlap, every time he shut it down. No other winger in our club has the smarts to position himself well enough to shut it down.

I think he still has a couple of years left in him for sure but it shows the quality of the man to retire instead of potentially holding back other players.

Pomoz

Bench
Speed has never been A strength of his though. At least 3 times yesterday he was defending a 2 on 1 overlap, every time he shut it down. No other winger in our club has the smarts to position himself well enough to shut it down.

I think he still has a couple of years left in him for sure but it shows the quality of the man to retire instead of potentially holding back other players.
+1.
Criminally underrated.

Mr Bean

Juniors
I doubt really doubt that, it doesn't make sense for him to do that at this stage of the season.

First, it is too late for other clubs to sign him (unless he wants to play on less money elsewhere, given other clubs would struggle to fit him in their cap).

A lot of clubs at the moment are shuffling around their rosters. Rumours are Hoppa may leave the Eels for the Dragons creating a vacancy.
The Tigers are shifting money around without success. Newcastle have a bit play with Brown keen to turn over the roster .
Souths are rumoured to be moving on Tim Grant and one or two others,they are up to something.
I wouldn't be surprised if he left Penrith or surprised if Rothfield was pumping shit.

tripster

Juniors
I'd like to see him at least play out the last year of his contract so we can see how he goes as an impact second rower. It'd give us time for Smith and Sopo to find their feet as well. We don't need him at Centre with Blake looking like he's starting to show his talent, Smith demanding selection, Rennings not far off.

I really don't think he is going, but assuming he stays, we really need to play him at centre.

He is still a far superior player to anyone else we have for that position (partnered with Whare), and his size makes a huge difference in that position (where he is lining up against other centres) as opposed to in the second row.

He is also someone who can break tackles and score tries close to the line, and is also great contesting bombs (again due to his height). He is still clearly a first choice centre for us.

Sime_11

Juniors
I think we missed his defence most of this season, we leaked a shitload of points on the edges.

martielang

Bench
I really don't think he is going, but assuming he stays, we really need to play him at centre.

He is still a far superior player to anyone else we have for that position (partnered with Whare), and his size makes a huge difference in that position (where he is lining up against other centres) as opposed to in the second row.

He is also someone who can break tackles and score tries close to the line, and is also great contesting bombs (again due to his height). He is still clearly a first choice centre for us.

100%.... apart from the part where you don't think he's going.

Big Mick

Referee
Now rumour going around that Matagi has not in fact signed with us but signed with Manly.

From FB:
Mick Colbran - I heard Matagi brushed us and will sign with Manly.
Mick Colbran - My Manly insider.

Take it with a grain of salt if you wish....I'm not confident until he signs on the dotted line.

But think we are re-signing Latu which is good.

betcats

Referee
^Could the two be linked Mick? Latu's recent debut and subsequent form could of scuttled the deal for Matagi. Anyway if it is a choice between Latu and Matagi id take Latu every day of the week.

chrisD

Coach
So we signed an AFL player, well barely an AFL player it seems having played only 7 games, grew up playing league, long and lanky, suppose he'll be an attempted winger.

martielang

Bench
I can't see us being in a rush to sign MWZ. He's decent but hardly going to push anyone out of the first grade squad which Will Smith can obviously do.

GongPanther

Referee
I can't see us being in a rush to sign MWZ. He's decent but hardly going to push anyone out of the first grade squad which Will Smith can obviously do.

Looking at his past couple of games on TV,MWZ absolutely looks the goods.

He looks a stronger thick set version of his brother.

And maybe in time,we will be seeing three Jennings boys and two Zelezneiaks in the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts