What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Smith keen to stay with Panthers

After helping Penrith avoid the wooden spoon in the final round of the NRL season, improved fullback Will Smith revealed he's in talks to extend his stay at the club.

The 23-year-old scored a try and broke the line twice in what was arguably the best performance of his burgeoning career in Saturday's 30-12 win over Newcastle.

However the impressive outing could also be his last in Panthers colours, with the Knights junior without a contract for next season.

Newcastle are understood to have reached out to Smith's management for a return to the Hunter, but the utility indicated his first preference is to stay at the foot of the mountains.

"There is talk there with the Panthers but nothing just yet," Smith said after the game.

"I'd prefer to stay at the Panthers - they have helped me develop into where I'm at today so I'd love to stay."

Smith filled in for the then-injured Peter Wallace during the club's fairytale run to the preliminary final last season, but conceded he was a mere passenger in the side.

However the second-year player has elevated his game this year after being called upon to replace the sidelined Matt Moylan and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak in the No.1 jersey.

"Last year I was just another number on the paddock whereas this year I think I stepped it up," he said.

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary suggested Smith's ability to cover a number of positions could earn him another contract at the club.

"He's taken a while to get going ... but he's definitely been a shining light for the last few weeks," he said.

"I'd love to keep Will. He trains hard and he works hard and you always love players who cover different spots."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=9026914

cb4

First Grade
Good player. One of those jack of all backline players. I think 6 is his spot, but either he or Moylan could play it well with the other in the other spot.

Geez I made that complicated.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I think he's fullback, maybe centre, or nothing. Hasn't shown anything in the halves. I'm also worried that we are expecting too much from Moylan there as well.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Good player. One of those jack of all backline players. I think 6 is his spot, but either he or Moylan could play it well with the other in the other spot.

Geez I made that complicated.

We know what you mean. He played 6 for us last year during the semi's and went OK but didn't exactly set the world on fire. I didn't really rate him that highly but he has really turned it on the last few weeks at No.1 which should increase his chances of getting another contract with us or getting picked up by someone else (which is what I think will happen). And good luck to the Sharks this weekend!

Big Mick

Referee
^Could the two be linked Mick? Latu's recent debut and subsequent form could of scuttled the deal for Matagi. Anyway if it is a choice between Latu and Matagi id take Latu every day of the week.

May very well be mate. I couldn't confidently say it because I'm not sure about the Matagi rumour.

I am pretty confident Latu has signed though. Think he suggested as such to fans after the game last week.

Good to hear we kept Smith. The last few weeks he started to show some confidence and you could see his form was also rising.
A big off season and maybe he shines in the nines or the trials and who knows what could happen.

maple_69

Bench
Congrats to Latu who really earned this contract as did Will Smith. The thing i liked most about Latu was he improved every game. He started solid and by the end of the year was racking up 150m, 20 tackles, putting on shots and getting over the advantage line.

I think next years pack will surprise a lot of people. Between RCG, Mckendry, latimore, kikau, Latu and potentially Matagi we will have 80 minutes of strong work up front. Our bench will keep the momentum and wear the opposition down. With the back row we are going to have those guys could run riot in back end of halved with space and tired forwards.

martielang

Bench
I think McKendry is extremely lucky we only really pay half his salary (due to being a 5+ year player) under the cap. IMO he'd be last on that list and wouldn't make my starting 17 in Rnd 1.

Blade23

Juniors
I think next years pack will surprise a lot of people. Between RCG, Mckendry, latimore, kikau, Latu and potentially Matagi

I don't think Matagi is coming anymore. Also Sam Anderson is off to the Tigers.
Good news re Latu staying.

betcats

Referee
yep it was going to be a Anderson lodge swap but lodge now has other problems that may prevent him coming

Good im sick of signing these f**kwits no matter how talented, Lodge is an absolute oxygen thief.

All the best to Anderson if he is moving on I would like to see him do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts